Disgraceful quality in Saint Laurent bags!!!!!

I own a few Saint Laurent bags and I admit that I'm used to the sub-par quality, to the point where I see issues with edge paint, stitching and so on to be "normal" for SL. For other brands that I own like Dior or Givenchy, the quality is pristine (I struggle to find flaws). But when it comes to SL, I'm ashamed to say I settle because I like the designs, not the quality.

I have purchased four Sac De Jours in the past, two of which I returned due to manufacturing flaws. That makes my personal success rate with SDJs only 50%. And out of all my SL bags, not one can be classified as pristine - they all have at least one manufacturing flaw that I'm willing to ignore for the sake of having a bag with a design that I like. I will continue to buy SL bags but I don't expect the quality to match other luxury brands and I wouldn't be surprised if I will always have to purchase two bags each time just to get one with passable quality. If you love the taste of apples, sometimes you have to pick through all the bruised ones to find the least bruised. Of course, apples don't cost $2000-3000...

Something else to consider is that (from my personal experience, at least), SL will not provide any customer service for bags not purchased directly through them (boutiques or online) or through their "authorized resellers". If you contact them and say, for example "my SL bag has metal staples sticking out of the strap" or "my SL bag has crooked stitching", they will ask you to provide an original receipt before answering any questions. I won't type exactly what was written to me by a SL customer service representative I've dealt with in the past but it was along the lines of "Yes, this bag is authentic, yes, it was made by us - but since you didn't purchase it from one of our authorized resellers, I cannot assist you with your queries. Have a nice day".

So whether you lost your receipt, bought a new bag from an outlet site like Bluefly or Gilt, bought it pre-loved or got it as a gift from your sister, don't expect SL to acknowledge that the quality issues have anything to do with them let alone assist you in resolving the issues. They wouldn't care if a SL bag you purchased pre-loved on Fashionphile spontaneously combusted and burned down your house.

As much as I can, I try to stick to stores/sellers that accept returns because 50% of the time, there will be some manufacturing flaw that I'm not willing to overlook.

p.s. Staples sticking out, crooked stitching, loose stitching, glue marks, edge paint smudges/splashes on leather.... I've personally dealt with all these issues with the SL bags I've bought in the past.
Wow, so glad I read this! I was tossing between an LV bag and an SL one for my everyday bag to work/travel and luckily the SL one didn't quite appeal to me as I felt this particular model (shopper tote) was nice however, wasn't anything special and opted for LV instead because I at least knew the canvas option would be good for the needs i required it for. In saying this, I would feel the same way you do as their designs are BEAUTIFUL...i guess the downside is their quality.

I’ve just returned the Lou camera bag in chevron leather, I had the bag for just over 2 weeks and the leather started to peel on the zipper and some of the stitching started to come out. So disappointed as the bag was gorgeous and went with everything.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
I’ve just returned the Lou camera bag in chevron leather, I had the bag for just over 2 weeks and the leather started to peel on the zipper and some of the stitching started to come out. So disappointed as the bag was gorgeous and went with everything.
Hmmm....sorry to hear that. Maybe it was a fluke and you should try another? I've had mine a couple months now without any issues (even picked up a couple more, lol)

I own a few Saint Laurent bags and I admit that I'm used to the sub-par quality, to the point where I see issues with edge paint, stitching and so on to be "normal" for SL. For other brands that I own like Dior or Givenchy, the quality is pristine (I struggle to find flaws). But when it comes to SL, I'm ashamed to say I settle because I like the designs, not the quality.

I have purchased four Sac De Jours in the past, two of which I returned due to manufacturing flaws. That makes my personal success rate with SDJs only 50%. And out of all my SL bags, not one can be classified as pristine - they all have at least one manufacturing flaw that I'm willing to ignore for the sake of having a bag with a design that I like. I will continue to buy SL bags but I don't expect the quality to match other luxury brands and I wouldn't be surprised if I will always have to purchase two bags each time just to get one with passable quality. If you love the taste of apples, sometimes you have to pick through all the bruised ones to find the least bruised. Of course, apples don't cost $2000-3000...

Something else to consider is that (from my personal experience, at least), SL will not provide any customer service for bags not purchased directly through them (boutiques or online) or through their "authorized resellers". If you contact them and say, for example "my SL bag has metal staples sticking out of the strap" or "my SL bag has crooked stitching", they will ask you to provide an original receipt before answering any questions. I won't type exactly what was written to me by a SL customer service representative I've dealt with in the past but it was along the lines of "Yes, this bag is authentic, yes, it was made by us - but since you didn't purchase it from one of our authorized resellers, I cannot assist you with your queries. Have a nice day".

So whether you lost your receipt, bought a new bag from an outlet site like Bluefly or Gilt, bought it pre-loved or got it as a gift from your sister, don't expect SL to acknowledge that the quality issues have anything to do with them let alone assist you in resolving the issues. They wouldn't care if a SL bag you purchased pre-loved on Fashionphile spontaneously combusted and burned down your house.

As much as I can, I try to stick to stores/sellers that accept returns because 50% of the time, there will be some manufacturing flaw that I'm not willing to overlook.

p.s. Staples sticking out, crooked stitching, loose stitching, glue marks, edge paint smudges/splashes on leather.... I've personally dealt with all these issues with the SL bags I've bought in the past.

Than you very much for your post.

It's very sad to read that YSL doesn't stand for their products, especially with such low quality. I love their design, and have been eyeing College bag for a few years now, but knowing of their production flaws, and now customer service, I am afraid to commit and drop substantial amount of money for a bag that may disappoints me very quickly.

Has anyone had any major issues with the Saint Laurent LouLou bag? I am eyeing the toy version to use up a $734.50 store credit from a t-shirt I bought (which had quality issues). I really want it in the "Powder" aka nude version but I'm beyond paranoid now.

I have a Mini Y Ligne from about 3 years ago, and have had no problems with the quality. The hardware is beautiful. The leather is a "box" style, very smooth, and has worn extremely well. I'm not totally crazy about the suede interior, because of how it wears (not a defect, just normal use). I am now about to pull the trigger on my 2nd YSL piece. :smile:

Last edited:
I have never owned a worse quality bag and I have never had such an appalling customer experience from a luxury brand. About 2 months ago I purchased my second YSL bag (West Hollywood - embossed crocodile leather). My first one was bought a few years back and less than a year after it’s purchase the bag more or less fell apart. However, having been a huge fan of the brand I decided to give it another go. I bought the bag and left it aside for about a month. I started using it and about 20 days after that I noticed that the bag was losing its shape and dropping towards the front, hence creating creases on both sides. Worse even, the bottom front sides were losing the embossed patent leather and the bag started to look like a cheap fake.
So I decided to return it. I was genuinely expecting a no qualms return and even though I didn’t want a refund but the choice of a new design I was appalled to hear otherwise. The manager at the store took pictures of the bag and promised t send them to HQ in Paris. My argument was that if the bag looks so tired only after about 20 days of use, then what will it look after a few months. One would expect that for the small fortune of 1540 pounds you but into quality and second to none customer service. The manager tried very hard to convince me that this is normal wear and tear. Really? Worn off edges after 20 days? Shocking to say the least!
I left the store frustrated, angry and very upset!
I’ve been promised a reply within 2 weeks.
I can promise one thing! If the customer care is as bad as the quality of the bag, I will not be returning to the brand anytime soon.

Than you very much for your post.

It's very sad to read that YSL doesn't stand for their products, especially with such low quality. I love their design, and have been eyeing College bag for a few years now, but knowing of their production flaws, and now customer service, I am afraid to commit and drop substantial amount of money for a bag that may disappoints me very quickly.

Here’s an update on the repair service...

I am not too sure for other regions, but if you are located in the ASIA PACIFIC AREA (e.g. Singapore) and you are having some issues or trouble with authenticity with your item, YOU CAN bring it to the store and as for a repair service, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU HAD BOUGHT YOUR ITEM.

They will require you to bring in the proof of purchase (e.g. receipts, delivery notice which has the retailer’s info), authenticity card which has the serial number, along with your item to the store.

If you have purchase it in the store the warranty is for one year. There will not be any YSL warranty if you have bought it elsewhere.

Since it’s Asia it is highly recommended that you dress up nicely (and definitely use a branded bag, preferably from a brand better than YSL such as Hermes, Chanel, Dior, Monyat...) when you want to bring in your bag, which you bought from other retailers, for repair.

And one more take-away info from the conversation I had with a SA:

If you have bought your YSL item from a online retailer based in a South East Asia country (I shall not name which one but those living in the region should be quite familiar, I’ve dropped enough hints), THERE MIGHT BE A CHANCE THAT YOUR ITEM MAY NOT BE AUTHENTIC even if it was listed as as Brand New/First Hand Retailer’s Own Stock condition on the website.

They told me that they have seen many people bringing their bags from that retailer to them, which turned out to be fake.

This information is up to date as of May 2018.

I have never owned a worse quality bag and I have never had such an appalling customer experience from a luxury brand. About 2 months ago I purchased my second YSL bag (West Hollywood - embossed crocodile leather). My first one was bought a few years back and less than a year after it’s purchase the bag more or less fell apart. However, having been a huge fan of the brand I decided to give it another go. I bought the bag and left it aside for about a month. I started using it and about 20 days after that I noticed that the bag was losing its shape and dropping towards the front, hence creating creases on both sides. Worse even, the bottom front sides were losing the embossed patent leather and the bag started to look like a cheap fake.
So I decided to return it. I was genuinely expecting a no qualms return and even though I didn’t want a refund but the choice of a new design I was appalled to hear otherwise. The manager at the store took pictures of the bag and promised t send them to HQ in Paris. My argument was that if the bag looks so tired only after about 20 days of use, then what will it look after a few months. One would expect that for the small fortune of 1540 pounds you but into quality and second to none customer service. The manager tried very hard to convince me that this is normal wear and tear. Really? Worn off edges after 20 days? Shocking to say the least!
I left the store frustrated, angry and very upset!
I’ve been promised a reply within 2 weeks.
I can promise one thing! If the customer care is as bad as the quality of the bag, I will not be returning to the brand anytime soon.

I can see how the store wouldn't want to do an exchange because it sounds like you went back almost 2 months after purchase. Boutiques tend to have strict return policies versus department stores. But they should have offered to service your bag.

Reactions: the_baglover
I
Here’s an update on the repair service...

I am not too sure for other regions, but if you are located in the ASIA PACIFIC AREA (e.g. Singapore) and you are having some issues or trouble with authenticity with your item, YOU CAN bring it to the store and as for a repair service, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU HAD BOUGHT YOUR ITEM.

They will require you to bring in the proof of purchase (e.g. receipts, delivery notice which has the retailer’s info), authenticity card which has the serial number, along with your item to the store.

If you have purchase it in the store the warranty is for one year. There will not be any YSL warranty if you have bought it elsewhere.

Since it’s Asia it is highly recommended that you dress up nicely (and definitely use a branded bag, preferably from a brand better than YSL such as Hermes, Chanel, Dior, Monyat...) when you want to bring in your bag, which you bought from other retailers, for repair.

And one more take-away info from the conversation I had with a SA:

If you have bought your YSL item from a online retailer based in a South East Asia country (I shall not name which one but those living in the region should be quite familiar, I’ve dropped enough hints), THERE MIGHT BE A CHANCE THAT YOUR ITEM MAY NOT BE AUTHENTIC even if it was listed as as Brand New/First Hand Retailer’s Own Stock condition on the website.

They told me that they have seen many people bringing their bags from that retailer to them, which turned out to be fake.

This information is up to date as of May 2018.
I shop often in Asia so this information is really useful! Thank you.