Scarves anyone frame their silk scarves? if so how do you do it?

Materials used (everything but paint was purchased at a big box craft store):

1. 36x36 stretched canvas
2. Leftover wall paint
3. 4 or 5 pair strong 'silver' craft magnets
4. SuperGlue (don't be scared!)
5. D-rings, wire, hook for hanging

JRTgirl, THANKS so much!!! You are brilliant!

I am going to share my "simplified" scarf hanging system. This little project took me less than 45 minutes (I believe).

The scarf will be flat against the wall using this method. Alternatively it can be raised as well using the same magnet system but we will leave that for another post next time.

MATERIALS REQUIRED:
Materials.JPG

1. Blue Painter's tape - ~ $7

This is mainly used for aligning the scarf at the position you want against the wall. Since I am doing this alone, this tape has helped tremendously to tape the scarf on the wall for me to eyeball the position I want against the wall and also for me to mark the center and corners of the scarf.

2. 1/2" diameter x 1/16" thick Disc Magnets - 10 pairs (20 pieces total) - ~$15
For this particular project, I use 10 pairs (20 magnets) total to hang the scarf fairly square. You could use more but a minimum of 10 pairs is needed to get a good square shape.

Magnets can be ordered here. It is free shipping.
https://totalelement.com/products/1...ive-strip-on-back-30-pack?variant=25668716229
Notice the ones I bought have adhesive included on the back side of the magnets.

After I bought this, I realize the adhesive is VERY thin and does not work well on the plaster wall at all so I suggest to get those without the adhesive instead like these so that you don't have to spend time peeling off the adhesive like I did.

https://totalelement.com/products/t...-disc-magnets-n48-30-pack?variant=25673004869

https://totalelement.com/products/1...h-disc-magnets-n48-50-pack?variant=7707673349

3. 3M Damage-Free Command Removable Small Poster Strips - $2.50 approximately
https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Command-Removable-Poster-Strips-17024PM-OF/28403806

SETUP PROCEDURES:
1. Run the blue tape horizontally against the wall to mark where you want the top of the scarf to be.

2. Then tape the top edge of the scarf along this horizontal strip as shown here in this picture.
Alignment.JPG
Check if you like the position of the scarf. If not re-adjust your tape accordingly until you find the position you like. You may need to use a leveler by downloading the leveler app to make sure the scarf is level. I did not do this at all. I was just eyeballing everything.

3. Mark the center and the 2 corners where the top of the scarf will be on the horizontal tape.

4. Affix one magnet on to the 3M poster strip. Make sure the magnet is as close to the straight edge of the strip as possible as shown on the picture below.
IMG_4934.JPG
Next apply the strip/magnet to the top center. When applying, make sure the center of the disc magnet is on the centerline you have marked on the blue tape. Also ensure the 3M pull arrow is pointing downwards. You want to press down on the entire poster strip to ensure it is sticking well to the wall. Now you can start hanging the top center of the scarf on this magnet and this scarf will help to guide you on placing the rest of the 9 poster strips.
IMG_4932.JPG

Continue to work on the 2 top corners with the 3M poster strip arrow pointing downward as well. Then work on the intermittent space between the center and the corners. You should have a total of 5 magnets here when completed.
Top Application.JPG

5. Continue working on the bottom of the scarf. Place the blue tape on the bottom of the scarf to help you guide where the bottom will be. Use a leveler to make sure the line is straight.

Place the magnet strip on to the bottom center first and then continue to work on the the 2 outside corners. Ensure the poster strip arrow points left/right or upward as shown.

Bottom Application.JPG
6. Then work on the 2 sides.
Strip Application.JPG
The finish product will look like this that costs less than $30.

IMG_4931.JPG

Hope this helps. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi ladies and gents! I bought my first H scarf yesterday. I saw the seasonal jaguar silk scarf and I would love to get one to display it in my room. I did some research and found out that people either frame it or use the magnet display system. I understand that sunlight can eventually lightens the color. I’m wondering if I should find a framer to frame it or just do the display system. Another question is that I understand the 140 shawls are cashmere silk mixed. Can they be used with the display system? They are more stretchy than the women silk scarf. Any insight and suggestions would be appreciated :smile:

I bought the hanging system for my room and the scarf is not exposed to sunlight. I thought of displaying the scarves in so many different ways but came back to the hanging system so I could rotate and use or display them. The hanging system provides measurements to display the 140 shawls so they are also meant for the hanging system.

Reactions: Hypnogenesis
I bought the hanging system for my room and the scarf is not exposed to sunlight. I thought of displaying the scarves in so many different ways but came back to the hanging system so I could rotate and use or display them. The hanging system provides measurements to display the 140 shawls so they are also meant for the hanging system.
Now I'm struggling to figure out how to hang it high enough that hopefully my cat won't try to snatch it :sad:

Haha he/him and my four cats I just find the female scarves more fun to display. Which color is your favorite??

I’m sorry I don’t understand? You’re asking me which color is my favorite... in cats or scarves??

If it’s cats: my one and only love for the past 18 years has been my Russian blue... so gray ;)

Russian blue, right? They are playful...

Maybe the OP would be better to display her scarf behind a glass to avoid any problems with her cat ;)

Yes, she is a Russian Blue. I also think if I wait a few years she may mellow out a bit and I will buy another scarf hanging system for my home. DH thinks that she would not climb it because it would be up against a wall as opposed to a window. I like that the vibrant colors and detail are easy to see with the scarf hanging system. A frame with glass might create glare depending on the surrounding light situation.

Hi ladies and gents! I bought my first H scarf yesterday. I saw the seasonal jaguar silk scarf and I would love to get one to display it in my room. I did some research and found out that people either frame it or use the magnet display system. I understand that sunlight can eventually lightens the color. I’m wondering if I should find a framer to frame it or just do the display system. Another question is that I understand the 140 shawls are cashmere silk mixed. Can they be used with the display system? They are more stretchy than the women silk scarf. Any insight and suggestions would be appreciated :smile:
I highly recommend framing it, especially if you don't mind encasing it (vs. being able to easily detach and use it if you were to use the hanging system). It looks beautiful on a frame, and you can use "conservation" glass to protect the work from 99% of UVA/UVB rays that can lighten the color over time. It's also easier to move and rehang in other parts of the room vs. having to move the entire hanging system around. Good luck!