What do you think about paying for your own E Ring??

so for those who took option b.

how did he propose? Did he propose and then said give me your half im going to pay the rest or what?

or was it a mutual decision that you guys were going to get married beforehand?

I don't think she was bragging at all. I understood the statement to mean that she likes high-end things and appreciates them. You could just as easily say that almost everyone here is bragging about their magnificent jewels and bags especially when they post pictures. And I don't think they're bragging at all - just "sharing" . That is what makes this forum fun, entertaining and interesting. I also learn a lot. But as I mentioned shortly before PoshPepper, that is a strong option to sell Loves to pay for e-ring.

I know everyone on here loves luxury, that's probably one of the main reasons we're all here. However, she most certainly could have put it more tactfully. Perhaps you are right when saying a great deal of people brag on this site, but all do not. One could also say there are different ways to brag. Some do it proudly, such is the case in the engagement ring thread, and some do it obnoxiously.

Anyway, back to the topic. If the OP feels comfortable buying her own e-ring, as does he, go for it.

I really don't think the OP was being snobby at all! She is just saying that she likes nice things...nothing wrong with that! If she has all those beautiful bracelets and other pieces, then she probably should consider getting her own ring so that it fits in nicely with her overall look:smile: An engagement ring is ultimately just a piece of jewelry, not some sort of magic symbol. What makes a marriage special is the love and commitment. The ring is something that you, as the woman, need to wear around every day, so you might as well really like it in terms of it's style.

If the fellow can't afford a proper e-ring, you're destined to shop for your wedding dress at the Gap.

--Gladys
OUCH. I don't agree with that at all. Who's to say what, "a proper" engagement ring is?? For some they may think a simple silver band is proper enough (I have friends who are simple like this) while others think their engagement ring needs to be at least 5 carats (and I've also got friends who think like this as well!!) There is no standard acceptable proper engagement ring size.

And just because someone has a smaller ring doesn't mean they can't have a nice dress. I know someone who makes 7 figures and settled for a simple plan white gold band but had a really grand wedding. She just wasn't into diamonds is all.

so for those who took option b.

how did he propose? Did he propose and then said give me your half im going to pay the rest or what?

or was it a mutual decision that you guys were going to get married beforehand?

I'm wondering if this whole issue is an age thing?

For both of us, it's our 2nd marriages. We were... erm... never mind how old when we got married :P But over 30 ;)

I didn't get the whole "big deal proposal" thing, wouldn't want it tbh. it's not me.

Re engagement ring - we were both in Florence, working, when we passed a jewellery shop near the Pont de Vecchio. A ring caught my eye. I stopped dead and decided there and then to buy it. He offered to pay half as he "wanted to get me a ring, anyway". Romantic, huh!!

Re Wedding ring - already commented before on this thread, we have different ideas on what our money is spent on. I wanted a nice gold ring with diamonds around it. He barely wears his because of work. And we both wanted his to be different from his first wedding ring. So we agreed to buy our own.

I don't see it's really such a big deal.
It's all about the marriage, not the baubles / dress / proposal / etc etc.

i do feel that the gentleman should pay for the ring. u can use ur own $$ for another piece of bling or towards a downpayment on a home which may free-up more of his assets...

Dh and i got married fairly young. my ring is .75 so smaller then a lot of peoples but i still love it. i wouldnt have wanted to add my own $

I don't think she was bragging at all. I understood the statement to mean that she likes high-end things and appreciates them. You could just as easily say that almost everyone here is bragging about their magnificent jewels and bags especially when they post pictures. And I don't think they're bragging at all - just "sharing" . That is what makes this forum fun, entertaining and interesting. I also learn a lot. But as I mentioned shortly before PoshPepper, that is a strong option to sell Loves to pay for e-ring.

right, i wasn't bragging. I was just saying.. I already have nice things that he is aware of. I am embarassed that he even knows what they are worth, but he asked when we went to Cartier a few weeks back and figured it out. So, of course he wants to make sure that its some-what comparable.

can I just add something? Going with option B. I have to say this again (already said I would normally go with B but I believe in A as well for a different reason)

Should u decide to go with B. How would u feel about your boyfriend getting in further debt just to please u and get u the 3+ carat (or whatever u wanted) ring?

You end up paying for ur ring either way in the end unless he pays hard cash (debit card, credit card and pays off right away) etc etc.

I've seen a lot of girls get super nice rings and then end up paying their husband's debt once married.

just my $0.02

I really don't think the OP was being snobby at all! She is just saying that she likes nice things...nothing wrong with that! If she has all those beautiful bracelets and other pieces, then she probably should consider getting her own ring so that it fits in nicely with her overall look:smile: An engagement ring is ultimately just a piece of jewelry, not some sort of magic symbol. What makes a marriage special is the love and commitment. The ring is something that you, as the woman, need to wear around every day, so you might as well really like it in terms of it's style.

Thank you. I wasn't at all.

can I just add something? Going with option B. I have to say this again (already said I would normally go with B but I believe in A as well for a different reason)

Should u decide to go with B. How would u feel about your boyfriend getting in further debt just to please u and get u the 3+ carat (or whatever u wanted) ring?

You end up paying for ur ring either way in the end unless he pays hard cash (debit card, credit card and pays off right away) etc etc.

I've seen a lot of girls get super nice rings and then end up paying their husband's debt once married.

just my $0.02

I am already partially paying for the debt..lol. I pay when we go out or we stay home because he can't afford to always go out. I realize once you are married its your debt too. This I know. I am also not looking for a 3+ carat ring. (although, it would be great.) I just want a nice ring.