What do y'all think about the Balenciaga SS23 & Adidas collab "teddy" controversy?

What's your take in the Balenciaga teddy bear controversay?

• It's harmless

Votes: 23 3.2%
  • It's disgusting

Votes: 553 76.7%
  • It's just to garner attention - Balenciaga being Balenciaga

Votes: 94 13.0%
  • I don't know what to think

Votes: 46 6.4%
  • What controversay? (links in post)

Votes: 5 0.7%

• Total voters
Bears repeating!
We'd like to leave this thread open, but political conspiracy theories, among other comments need to stop. Discuss the topic only please, let's keep the discussion open and all responses to others need to remain respectful.

Also, let’s stick closely to topic, it really helps preventing tangents and drama.

Last edited:
With all their "courage" to painstakingly "create" this campaign, there is no courage to own up. So they know that this is disgusting and people are against it.
Gucci just fired their head designer so kering can't afford losing another big name. But this can't continue imho. If they hold another runway presentation in my city I will personally show up to protest.
Just change the brand name to Demna the Pedophile. Better than damaging what Mr. C. Balenciaga created so many years ago.

If what I bolded above s true, why did Balenciaga say they had "no idea" those court papers were there, and subsequently try to sue the production company?

Your statement "Unfortunately, the ad which is directed more at an European audience who understands irony and sociopolitical commentary failed terribly with an American audience. We just don't have any understanding of subtle satire/subversion/dark humor" -

Demna was supposed to receive an award this week from Business of Fashion- Voices, which they have rescinded. Business of Fashion's HQ is in London.

Balenciaga in London was vandalized according to this article.
People are sick of it! Kudos to them

There is so much more to Balenciaga than this offensive ad campaign. I have always loved fashion and Balenciaga has been a favorite. I refuse to stop wearing Balenciaga because of this incident and I am sorry but I cannot understand some of your comments in regard to never wearing the brand again or the things you already own. I can certainly understand stating your distaste for the ad campaign and I cannot believe that the powers that be at Balenciaga have not heard you and learned from it.

It would actually be rather easy for them to just explain it all. The court papers, the bruised bear eyes, the bondage gear, the misspelling in the tape, the bloody baby, whatever. No one is explaining anything. Just saying “sorry you were offended”. Which leads everyone to attempt to interpret it all, which is impossible, and where the most obvious interpretation, for a lack of another from them, is what we are all saying.

They’re not challenging it. They could make it all go away, or at least abate the outrage. They’re not. Maybe the outrage is the “artistic vision”.

To each their own, if someone doesn't feel comfortable wearing their Bal, great! If some feel ok about wearing what they purchased, great! No one is right or wrong in feeling how they feel about that.
And remember, there are many who have been gifted Balenciaga who don’t even know they are carrying Balenciaga, like my 90 year old Mom. Please give people some grace and don’t assume everybody knows what we know.

ETA: Im not equipped to debate Demna‘s talent; I differ from you in that I think he should be fired, not simply bc his ad campaign is so offensive to the US Market, but bc he could not calibrate to that market and adjust accordingly. I also blame the executives who approved it. This storm could have easily been foreseen. kering seems to misstep more than Richmont group these days, and during Covid, the US and Asian markets grew exponentially, so I don’t think it’s a stretch to have the ad campaigns align with the top markets.

I honestly can't imagine this campaign work in any region...the only market it works for might be the pedo market, and I doubt Kering is in that business...therefore, it is obviously a failed campaign, to say the least.

It’s shocking how bad of a position they have put their consumers in who have spent thousands of dollars on balenciaga products. To have to wonder whether you will be associated with child abuse when rocking their purse… yeah, they’re finished. IMO, Kering and a lot of other brands need to take a hard look at if it’s worthwhile in the long run to stoke controversy. Balenciaga was on thin ice and look how quickly the GP dropped them. would never happen to chanel, but then again chanel would never do anything like this so the comparison is moot.

American haute couture designer, Ralph Rucci, is one of the few in the fashion world who has publicly called out both Balenciaga and Demna (as per his recent IG posts):

He’s right but he’s also an unbearable, jealous man. He’s just sad his work never took off and takes it out on everyone else constantly. miserable account to follow

• Wow
Reactions: 880
I honestly can't imagine this campaign work in any region...the only market it works for might be the pedo market, and I doubt Kering is in that business...therefore, it is obviously a failed campaign, to say the least.

They pretty obviously are in that business at this point, unofficially at least, as this was tailored precisely to it.

So, it will attract them and they are probably keeping them afloat at the moment...

What's depressing is that you can so easily end up buying into all this without meaning to.

For example, I bought a necklace with the word Angel on it and was only then informed, by an acquaintance (yes, a dodgy one in that way, although not practicing, thank God), that Angel has a double meaning I wasn't aware of.

Didn't stop me wearing it, or buying other items (e.g. VS nightshirts, ironically, given the Epstein connection - this was pre all that coming out) which utilised the word, on the basis of the primary and/or the other innocent meaning, because I wasn't going to let p*dophiles change what I did, or wore, but it made me feel somewhat uneasy nonetheless.

...and then there are other things like butterflies, which are supposed to be symbolic of split personalities, which are a common symptom amongst the sexually abused.

Then there are rabbits, which relate to the white rabbit in Alice and also to bunny girls...

I wasn't going to not accept a beautiful rabbit wallet gift just because of that.

Other animals are also involved.

Then there is one eye symbolism, aforementioned spiral shapes, hand symbols and so on and on...

One way or another there are so many things with double meanings that you could struggle to find anything you could wear, or do, without it meaning something suspect to these people, so you end up having to sort of ignore it and carry on regardless and wear what you like.

Last edited: