I'm a jeweler for 19 yrs so feel free to ask me anything !

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a (what I assume) is vintage ring is marked 18k H.G.E. How long will the electroplating last and does it need to be redone? I notice it has a little mark or chip where it looks silver on the band where it would come in contact with objects you handle like change etc. I wore it quiet a bit when I was working and handling money a lot so I think that might be what caused it. It's not too bad right now you have to look hard at it in daylight to find the little spot but I worry it will get worse. I figure it's probably not worth much and I didn't pay much for it at a second hand shop but I still like the uniqueness it has.

Hi. I found an interesting bracelet today while hunting through a vintage shop. Wondering if you would comment on it.

It is marked 925 with some sort of jewelers mark. It caught my eye because I thought at first it was a tennis bracelet, but on taking a second look, I noticed that there were no stones. Just that milgrain (?I think that is what it's called?) and a charm attached that seems to be a small ruby. It is two tone and I assume that because of the 925 mark that it would be Vermeil. I've never heard of a "tennis" bracelet like this.

Was this type of bracelet a fad at one time or something? Or just a very cheap version of one that some company put out maybe only once? (I kind of like it because it is so casual.)

Would you care to comment?

Attachments

• braceletf3.jpg
    braceletf3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 360
  • braceletf2.jpg
    braceletf2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 387
  • braceletf.jpg
    braceletf.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 367
Hi Victoria!
Not sure why I never read through your thread before but this is all very helpful info! I also discovered the beauty of round brilliants in a cushion halo but I can't settle on what I want (engagement would not be in the bear future but just keeping track if what I want for when that day comes :P). I always thought I wanted a RB but now I'm thinking maybe just a cushion? I'm not completely sold on halos even though they are very gorgeous. Is it true that cushions face up smaller than RB though so I would need a larger sized cushion to look the same size as a brilliant?

Thanks!

I love love love round stones because they are the most brilliant! I always say, why have a diamond if it don't shine !
A round stone in a cushion halo is my favorite combination. You get the best of both worlds. A nice shape with the best sparkle. It is true that cushions don't look as large as a same weight round diamond.

Hope this helps

FYI, I have a round stone and I'm planning to set it in a cushion halo myself !

If a (what I assume) is vintage ring is marked 18k H.G.E. How long will the electroplating last and does it need to be redone? I notice it has a little mark or chip where it looks silver on the band where it would come in contact with objects you handle like change etc. I wore it quiet a bit when I was working and handling money a lot so I think that might be what caused it. It's not too bad right now you have to look hard at it in daylight to find the little spot but I worry it will get worse. I figure it's probably not worth much and I didn't pay much for it at a second hand shop but I still like the uniqueness it has.

I don't think handling money did it, it was just from wearing. I'm not that familiar with electroplating but I will find out for you

Hi. I found an interesting bracelet today while hunting through a vintage shop. Wondering if you would comment on it.

It is marked 925 with some sort of jewelers mark. It caught my eye because I thought at first it was a tennis bracelet, but on taking a second look, I noticed that there were no stones. Just that milgrain (?I think that is what it's called?) and a charm attached that seems to be a small ruby. It is two tone and I assume that because of the 925 mark that it would be Vermeil. I've never heard of a "tennis" bracelet like this.

Was this type of bracelet a fad at one time or something? Or just a very cheap version of one that some company put out maybe only once? (I kind of like it because it is so casual.)

Would you care to comment?[/QUOTE

925 is sterling silver. It's not milgrain, it's just silver casted to look like stones. It wasn't a fad, just a less expensive version of a diamond bracelet.
Just enjoy it !

Are you able to tell a real from replica (do you authenticate) David Yurman pieces? No response from authenticators and I'm dying to know :sad: There is no engraving on the outside edge of the heart at all.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/David-Yurma...21404?pt=Designer_Jewelry&hash=item43a98bd13c

This is authentic. The hallmarks are on the chain since the chain is attached to the heart. The back of the heart may have D.Y. also but because the hallmarked chain is attached it may not. You can email the seller and ask.

I don't think handling money did it, it was just from wearing. I'm not that familiar with electroplating but I will find out for you

I thought maybe the money kind of scratching and clinking against it would wear it away more than if I was just wearing it shopping. It's not too bad and as long as it stays on the underside of the ring I would freak out too much about it :smile:

Would you care to comment?[/QUOTE

925 is sterling silver. It's not milgrain, it's just silver casted to look like stones. It wasn't a fad, just a less expensive version of a diamond bracelet.
Just enjoy it !
I

Last edited:
I have a few small diamonds, .5, d or e, vs1 and I would rather have one larger stone. How feasible is it to trade them with a jeweler to get one larger stone or even a Rolex? What's the best way to do something like this?

Hello. :smile:

I have a ring that I cannot wear anymore due to personal reasons. I would like to re-create the ring but I am completely lost! Any tips on the best way to go about doing that, (melting process?), what about cost? Or would it be best to just sell the ring? And if so, where would be the best place to sell it? (I tried taking it to a pawn shop and they offered $30 for a $1000 ring!) Thank you very much!

Please tell me your opinion!
2.5 tcw "H" color diamond tennis bracelet with I1 clarity - about $2300 vs
4.25 tcw "J" color diamond tennis bracelet with SI1 clarity - about $4400
Thanks!

sorry i cant help myself from answering this one... i buy and sell diamond... they're basically selling you the diamond at $1000/carat... it's an OK deal on the retail level...

Status
Not open for further replies.