I'm a jeweler for 19 yrs so feel free to ask me anything !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's MY OPINION. I buy my watches from an unauthorized dealer and to me it's perfectly fine ! I have a Cartier roadster, rolex, chopard, breitling for my bf, corum watches all bought from unauthorized dealers. Hope this helps.

I purchased a Dior watch from an unauthorized dealer. The Dior boutique has seen it and mentioned that they give free battery changes and maintenance checks. In your opinion, should I take advantage of this? My fear is they may confiscate my watch since it came from an unauthorized dealer - but it's a reputable one. The dealer said that I could go ahead and bring this to the boutique, but I should say it's a "gift." What are your thoughts? Thanks again!

One last question. :smile:

There was a Tiffany yellow diamond craze in the PurseForum earlier this year. I've always wondered why the pricing of Tiffany's yellow diamonds are currently below the Tiffany white diamond counterparts. If the yellow diamond is truly rare as they advertise, shouldn't the yellow diamond price be higher? For example, if the cut, clarity, size are all the same, but the color is different (G versus a fancy vivid), the white diamond is priced higher. Thoughts?

Do you think that yellow diamonds will eventually price higher than white diamonds in the future?

I was going to buy pink diamond earrings on Overstock and they had a "C" code next to them and I assume it means "coated" then I read that coated materials will chip or wear off. Do you think that is true?

Hi VH,

Me and the soon-to-be fiancee recently went to his friend's jewelry store to pick out my e-ring. The specs on the center radiant diamond was very good 1.1 carat, F color, VVS2 clarity, I think very good to excellent cut, no florescence (it looked great in person). I believe we got a good deal but now I'm having second thoughts :thinking:. I haven't receive the ring yet (I had a customized setting so it's taking some time) we did get a copy of the certificate which was from EGL. From my research online and your previous post, it seems that EGL's grading is not as stringent as GIA. Would it be rude if I asked the jeweler to see if they can have it graded by GIA? Now I feel like maybe we didn't get such a great deal. Thanks for your input

One last question. :smile:

There was a Tiffany yellow diamond craze in the PurseForum earlier this year. I've always wondered why the pricing of Tiffany's yellow diamonds are currently below the Tiffany white diamond counterparts. If the yellow diamond is truly rare as they advertise, shouldn't the yellow diamond price be higher? For example, if the cut, clarity, size are all the same, but the color is different (G versus a fancy vivid), the white diamond is priced higher. Thoughts?

Do you think that yellow diamonds will eventually price higher than white diamonds in the future?

Hi, if a white diamond is graded J color, then it wouldn't be as expensive as a D color diamond, just like a fancy yellow diamond is graded by its intensity. Like if it's a really vivid yellow, that would cost more than a not so yellow. And a not so yellow diamond is just a not so yellow diamond :smile: you get what I mean ? Lol I hope I made sense

Hi VH,

Me and the soon-to-be fiancee recently went to his friend's jewelry store to pick out my e-ring. The specs on the center radiant diamond was very good 1.1 carat, F color, VVS2 clarity, I think very good to excellent cut, no florescence (it looked great in person). I believe we got a good deal but now I'm having second thoughts :thinking:. I haven't receive the ring yet (I had a customized setting so it's taking some time) we did get a copy of the certificate which was from EGL. From my research online and your previous post, it seems that EGL's grading is not as stringent as GIA. Would it be rude if I asked the jeweler to see if they can have it graded by GIA? Now I feel like maybe we didn't get such a great deal. Thanks for your input

That's is tough one. I think if you really want a GIA stone, just look for a stone that's graded from GIA. Because if you send that stone to GIA, it will not be the same as what EGL graded

Hey Victoria, my question for half circle pave bands, if my size is 4.25, is it better to buy 4 and size up or 4.5 and size down. Let's say most place only have whole and half sizes. What would be the best for the pave's maintaining its integrity?

Hey Victoria, my question for half circle pave bands, if my size is 4.25, is it better to buy 4 and size up or 4.5 and size down. Let's say most place only have whole and half sizes. What would be the best for the pave's maintaining its integrity?

I would say go up, reason being that when you go down in size the ring bends in and stones will get loose/fall out.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

I would say go up, reason being that when you go down in size the ring bends in and stones will get loose/fall out.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

So the shrinking up does not cause the diamonds to get loose? I was thinking either way it would bend the ring or at least change its shape, distorting the original shape? KWIM?

I guess the best of the two evil is going up a size vs sizing down?

scarlet555 said:
So the shrinking up does not cause the diamonds to get loose? I was thinking either way it would bend the ring or at least change its shape, distorting the original shape? KWIM?

I guess the best of the two evil is going up a size vs sizing down?

It will not distort the shape by going up just a half size. It's very common to size rings. Don't worry :smile:

Hi Victoria!
Not sure why I never read through your thread before but this is all very helpful info! I also discovered the beauty of round brilliants in a cushion halo but I can't settle on what I want (engagement would not be in the bear future but just keeping track if what I want for when that day comes :P). I always thought I wanted a RB but now I'm thinking maybe just a cushion? I'm not completely sold on halos even though they are very gorgeous. Is it true that cushions face up smaller than RB though so I would need a larger sized cushion to look the same size as a brilliant?

Thanks!

1. I would like to learn how to cast jewelry really badly. Any advice on where I should begin?

2. How can you tell the difference between quality gold and diluted gold jewelry esp when it was made outside of the US?

1. I would like to learn how to cast jewelry really badly. Any advice on where I should begin?

2. How can you tell the difference between quality gold and diluted gold jewelry esp when it was made outside of the US?
3. Oh and also I mix a lot of my costume, and precious metal jewelry with tribal jewelry imported from Eastern countries. They are usually made out of brass, and for some reason I shower with them and nothing happens so weird! Any feedback on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.