I'm a jeweler for 19 yrs so feel free to ask me anything !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. :smile:

I have a ring that I cannot wear anymore due to personal reasons. I would like to re-create the ring but I am completely lost! Any tips on the best way to go about doing that, (melting process?), what about cost? Or would it be best to just sell the ring? And if so, where would be the best place to sell it? (I tried taking it to a pawn shop and they offered $30 for a $1000 ring!) Thank you very much!

send me a pic of the ring and i can show you some ideas !!

Hi VH! I'm currently working on a pair of RB studs, most likely with Brian Gavin's H&A. My preferred specs are G VS2, but of course those are very expensive. Initially I was willing to compromise to H SI1 if they are eyeclean, but as of right now they do not have any. After expanding my search I see a pair of I VS2, and I SI1 at such great prices! Then there is also a H SI2. I'm nervous trekking into I colors and SI2 territory. However, I did read that with Ideal cuts, they face up whiter. These will be approximately 0.3 ct each, and in the future I plan to make jackets for them. So, I intend for these to stay in my collection for a while. I'd really like your input on this. Thanks!!

Hi.
I am trying to "create" a ruby engagement ring. My husband gave me a ring that has been in his family which is very important and special to us. It is yellow gold, and the center stone is surrounded by tiny diamonds around it. I am a huge fan of ruby with yellow gold, so I need to find a center ruby stone. I have not yet taken it to the jeweler, but I'd like to know what I should expect. I am not looking for a perfect ruby or anything. Just something that's decent enough for now. What are the price variations on ruby for something like this? Also, the band is a little thick and flat for my liking. So I would like to thin out the band and make it a bit more round if that makes sense... Is that too complicated? Should I leave it alone in that case? I think the center stone is about 1.5 carats, slightly oblong.
Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Can you rhodium plate yellow gold? And if so how often will it need to be redipped ... wearing about 5 days a week? TIA!
it can definitely be rhodium dipped! with YG it's recommended that it's dipped twice the first time to make all nooks and crannies in the piece are covered in plating.

It depends on the item, if it's a necklace then it won't need to be dipped as often as a ring...

it can definitely be rhodium dipped! with YG it's recommended that it's dipped twice the first time to make all nooks and crannies in the piece are covered in plating.

It depends on the item, if it's a necklace then it won't need to be dipped as often as a ring...

Oh yes it' my engagement ring. Is it difficult to take it back to YG if I don't like it? Also I have lots of baguettes in a channel setting...is it difficult to do with those?

On a separate note is it more expensive to custom design jewelry or does the cost strictly come in the stones and material used?

Oh yes it' my engagement ring. Is it difficult to take it back to YG if I don't like it? Also I have lots of baguettes in a channel setting...is it difficult to do with those?

On a separate note is it more expensive to custom design jewelry or does the cost strictly come in the stones and material used?
it's not difficult to take it back but it does require the goldsmith to sand down the setting to take off the rhodium and re polish it so there would be a small gold loss.

custom is more expensive because they need to create the wax mold, spend the time custom fitting the stones etc.... if they have a pre made mold that you like it will be less expensive.

I have a Cartier white gold love ring that is beginning to look a little tarnish after so many years of use. I would like to to make it look like new again and re dip in white gold. Should this be done at Cartier or can I go to any jewelry store? Thanks

1.07 carat oval cut. I appreciate any suggestions. :biggrin:

It's so big, a basket setting would be great! Or a bezel or a delicate halo, then it would look gigantic! Depending on how oblong it is, it could be really special set east/west. I can't think of any setting that wouldn't look good...keep us posted on any decisions, diamond resets are so fun!

ETA- I just reread your post, you're asking who, not how, silly me. Sorry, I don't have any recs for that. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

It's so big, a basket setting would be great! Or a bezel or a delicate halo, then it would look gigantic! Depending on how oblong it is, it could be really special set east/west. I can't think of any setting that wouldn't look good...keep us posted on any decisions, diamond resets are so fun!

ETA- I just reread your post, you're asking who, not how, silly me. Sorry, I don't have any recs for that. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

Thanks! That was still really helpful. I don't really have any idea of how I want to set it either. I just think it would be nice as an every day pendant. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.