Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

I think replacing my zipper cost $40-50. Definitely worth it. When you see the black dress that Robin wright wears you will know why I thought of it and you will love it.

Wow, that's reasonable. I've never had a zip replaced. Good to know.

I think that "structure" in garments is what I like about Dior. It seems obvious but clothes should make us look better. if the designer can get the basic shape correct then a garment makes a woman look more beautiful--taller, slimmer, more proportional. Then when a tailor tweeks it specially for the wearer, there is a distinct look of fit and polish. That's why they look so great on these shows--their clothes are tailored to the nth degree. Sometimes maybe women forget that clothes don't normally come like that. I will look for Robin's dress!

The more i think about it, it has to have a zipper pull at the top or you are not going to get into the dress. OK, so you may not have to take the zipper out at all. Shorten the dress and then the seamstress over sews the bottom of the zipper and makes a zipper stop. You would not be able to use the zipper from that direction, but would you care? Or take it out and shorten from the top and do the same thing. Does that make sense?

And they can do that? Make a zipper stop? That would be great. It probably sounds nuts, but I can see this cut shorter too, as a tunic top at hip length and wear over slim pants with low boots. Very cool and mod. :smile:

Reactions: Mindi B
And they can do that? Make a zipper stop? That would be great. It probably sounds nuts, but I can see this cut shorter too, as a tunic top at hip length and wear over slim pants with low boots. Very cool and mod. :smile:
I think I would look into getting a new zipper first. Much depends upon the resources available to the tailor and whether they can find it. Or once you know the length required, you could probably find it on the web.

https://www.zippershipper.com/inch-zippers-foot-custom-length

Reactions: prepster
But here's what I like, that is so ridiculously hard to find: I love the high neck. That makes it chic and modern. I love that it has slim long sleeves with no frou frou or doodads, and a nicely balanced shoulder. I love that it is a heavy "compression" knit, and DK does amazingly nice knits. I like that it is so well shaped. Hair in a low pony tail, put on the dress, done. Scarf tied on for day, take the scarf off and put on dangly earrings for a date.

You are bringing back memories of high neck dresses I used to have. They were great. I had not noticed that they are hard to find now. You are making me want to shop.

I hear you intense love of this dress. I hope it works out for you.

You are bringing back memories of high neck dresses I used to have. They were great. I had not noticed that they are hard to find now. You are making me want to shop.

I hear you intense love of this dress. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks. :smile: I ordered it so I'll see what my seamstress can do with it--nothing ventured nothing gained, as they say. For the price, if it gets bungled up it isn't the end of the world. I'll also be interested to see when it arrives if the knit is as dense as I'm imagining. Lol! Ordering online sight-unseen is always a thrill.

Reactions: EmileH
This is a fabulous dress. I had a seamstress (just a local person who I think is good but not excellent) take a zipper off a dress and put a new one on. She didn't seem phased by it and it came out well. Since this one is so visible I think the trickiest part would be finding the zipper that you want to use. But I'm not a sewer so hopefully some of our more talented members will weigh in.
agree. And would you want the new zipper to be exposed? If you want it covered with a lap, there might not be enough fabric to so that. It looks so cool with the exposed zip to hem, why change it? Just curious. It makes the dress unusual and different,

Look at what I just finished making...View attachment 3763752

I was thinking of adding pearls to the trim like this...but am not sure if it will be too much or too heavy and distort how it falls.
View attachment 3763754

What do you guys think?

Edit: it's my first fitted piece. I've only ever made shawls and blankets before so I'm quite pleased that it fit well after blocking.

Genie, this is so impressive. You did a great job!

I did not know about the production sets being by Edward Gorey, thank you for relaying that, Mindi. I try to watch that particular Dracula movie every time I notice it's on.
Mindi, did you ever see the original Blair Witch Project movie, the one from about a decade ago? I think the location where it was supposedly set is off I-95 going from Baltimore to DC. I used to hike in the woods. Typically I was on day hikes and would finish in the late afternoon. But the woods shown in dim lighting to simulate nightfall are so creepy in that movie! The fact that the woods are just what I remember hiking in -- the density of the forest and so forth -- makes it even creepier. The landscape is the kind I walked on. I am trying to remember to watch the new BW movie, the one made for today's kids with social media access, etc. Don't know if it will be as good.
A Dracula I do watch from time to time is the one with Wynona Ryder in it.
It's not as suspenseful mainly b/c I associate Wynona with "Girl, Interrupted", and her living and shopping in Beverly Hills in a particular store I was in a few times. IYKWIM. Plus the guy in that Dracula version looks kinda quaint in his pseudo-Victorian costume, a kindly old gent.

I saw the Blair Witch Project in my late teens, and at that age it scared the daylights out of me! I am easily scared by creepy things. When I run by myself deep in the woods I should be scared of weirdos or wild animals, but my mind starts thinking about ghosts....then I run so fast back to the car! I feel like a child! I think one of the best reasons to get married is that I don't have to be scared of ghosts and monsters anymore when I am alone by myself haha! I would be seriously creeped out if I were you to be walking in those woods, or even just remembering it!

I actually loved that Winona Ryder version. Again, it may have been the age I was when I saw it...I thought it was so romantic and exciting. I actually just saw it again this year and I was surprised that I still really liked it, of course it seemed much more campy as an adult. I have always been into period movies, I love seeing the clothes even if the acting is not the strongest.

View attachment 3765252

I was just looking for a pair of neoprene sandals, minding my own business and I saw this fab dress on dkny. I have a question for the seamstresses out there. This dress would be too long for me, but it has a full length back visible zipper. The zipper goes to the very edge of the hem. How hard would it be for a seamstress to take out the zipper, hem the dress and put in a shorter zipper? Is that a huge project?

BTW, someone seriously needs to buy this dress. It is absurdly inexpensive and with the dense knitted fabric and nipped silhouette it would make the wearer look positively svelte. It looks like a Dior Bar jacket in dress form. With black tights and boots--wow. Dress up, dress down...and it is the perfect foil for H scarves in any knot one wanted to tie. I am so tempted but am worried I will have an alterations disaster. :sad:

My eyes stopped because I love this dress also! I agree that someone needs to buy it!

agree. And would you want the new zipper to be exposed? If you want it covered with a lap, there might not be enough fabric to so that. It looks so cool with the exposed zip to hem, why change it? Just curious. It makes the dress unusual and different,

I think she just wants the whole dress to be shorter, which requires shortening the zipper since it goes the entire length of the dress from collar to hem.

Look at what I just finished making...View attachment 3763752

I was thinking of adding pearls to the trim like this...but am not sure if it will be too much or too heavy and distort how it falls.
View attachment 3763754

What do you guys think?

Edit: it's my first fitted piece. I've only ever made shawls and blankets before so I'm quite pleased that it fit well after blocking.
That looks fabulous genie, huge congrats!
I like the pearl trim too.
How long did it take if you don't mind my asking.
:hugs: