Has anyone purchased a bag from Bag Borrow or Steal?

ebay drives me nuts, you spend so much time researching a seller, then emailing for extra pictures,then looking at someones blurry pictures trying to make a guess if the pictures are blurry cause the person is bad at taking pictures, or trying to hide something. Then when your satisfied and have set your heart on a bag, someone out bids you with one of these fancy "auction sniper" program things when there is a mere 2 sec to spare.

It is exciting, but it's tiring too:smile:

^^ its an addiction isnt it? i actually bid on the last 10 sec or so :smile: i get a thrill when i see the time dwindling down...sigh sometimes i wonder if sellers actually do it on purpose to post blurry pics...i mean it would be less of a hassle on the part of the seller to just post clear close up shots of the important stuff..but ive realized not everyone is handy at taking photos or not aware of using the macro settings on the cam...

there are free sniper programs available if you want..i read some of it on the ebay thread but dont remember the sites since i do the last min bidding myself :smile:

i know what you mean on the last 2 seconds thing...i got pissed when i lost a philip stein auction for a mere $4 coz someone bid on the last 3 sec...argh...

^ If you can't beat em, join em. I use a tool called Auction Stealer, it's free, and it bids in the last 10 seconds of the auction. You can pay for a premium membership, it will bid in the last 3 seconds.

I've bought from Bag, Borrow, or Steal's outlet and was disappointed in the condition of the bag I received and the subsequent customer "service" after I complained.

I purchased a bag in "gently used" condition and received a Paddington that had a very darkened handle (it was a hobo style, so one handle) and a lock that was badly chipped. (It also came just shoved into a box with no protective packaging, no dustbag, not even tissue paper.) I contacted them about it and they told me they would give me a refund but never sent the return authorization paperwork after repeated inquiries. As I was not about to send my bag back to them after these antics, especially given the weird purchasing process (there's only one photo of the bag on the site, the purchase confirmation was never e-mailed to me, the shipping confirmation did not specify the type of bag that I was getting, and the bag I purchased remained on their site, in available inventory, for two weeks after I bought it), I decided to keep it.

To add insult to injury, the bag and two others, identical in style but in different colors, went on sale for $400 less than I paid less than four days after I purchased mine, and they also wouldn't issue a price adjustment. I understand that many stores won't issue adjustments, but given the misrepresentation of the bag's condition, I felt that would be a reasonable course of action for them to take to ensure their customer's satisfaction.

To be fair, the bag is in usable condition and has very nice '05 grenat leather, aside from the handle, which is almost black from its "gentle" use. I carry it often and don't baby it as much as my other bags, so it has proven to be fairly useful. I just prefer not to deal further with a company that a) misrepresents the condition of used products, b) has an iffy web purchasing process, and c) refuses to issue refunds or allow returns despite their stated policy (though this could have been a clerical mistake - but since I called them several times after their promise of a return authorization and received no response, I doubt it).

Hope this helps. I know some people have purchased from them and have been happy with the purchase process and their products, so I think it varies. And their processes may have changed since I purchased my bag. So, as with all things, YMMV. :smile:

Hey thanks for the info:smile:. It's a shame that they can't be more honest about the bags and price accordingly. i don't think its fair if they have a lot of one type of bag and to price them all the same if they vary in use and condition. Obviously laziness, not wanting to take a photo of every bag. I was considering buying a paddy from them, but in the end discovered portero.com and bought from them. I have to say that the bag I got was really beautiful, but the trouble is that they have very few bags there:sad:

So I guess it's ebay or nothing, I just have to get myself one of those sniper things and I guess I'll do better. I would never do a bid in the last 5-10 sec on my computer alone, as I don't think the poor old dear could make the connection fast enough.

recently
I've bought from Bag, Borrow, or Steal's outlet and was disappointed in the condition of the bag I received and the subsequent customer "service" after I complained.

I purchased a bag in "gently used" condition and received a Paddington that had a very darkened handle (it was a hobo style, so one handle) and a lock that was badly chipped. (It also came just shoved into a box with no protective packaging, no dustbag, not even tissue paper.) I contacted them about it and they told me they would give me a refund but never sent the return authorization paperwork after repeated inquiries. As I was not about to send my bag back to them after these antics, especially given the weird purchasing process (there's only one photo of the bag on the site, the purchase confirmation was never e-mailed to me, the shipping confirmation did not specify the type of bag that I was getting, and the bag I purchased remained on their site, in available inventory, for two weeks after I bought it), I decided to keep it.

To add insult to injury, the bag and two others, identical in style but in different colors, went on sale for $400 less than I paid less than four days after I purchased mine, and they also wouldn't issue a price adjustment. I understand that many stores won't issue adjustments, but given the misrepresentation of the bag's condition, I felt that would be a reasonable course of action for them to take to ensure their customer's satisfaction.

To be fair, the bag is in usable condition and has very nice '05 grenat leather, aside from the handle, which is almost black from its "gentle" use. I carry it often and don't baby it as much as my other bags, so it has proven to be fairly useful. I just prefer not to deal further with a company that a) misrepresents the condition of used products, b) has an iffy web purchasing process, and c) refuses to issue refunds or allow returns despite their stated policy (though this could have been a clerical mistake - but since I called them several times after their promise of a return authorization and received no response, I doubt it).

Hope this helps. I know some people have purchased from them and have been happy with the purchase process and their products, so I think it varies. And their processes may have changed since I purchased my bag. So, as with all things, YMMV. :smile:

I've borrowed from Bag Borrow or Steal and the condition of the handbag was Good/Fair but definitely not "Like New". Personally I don't think I will borrow from them again. I expected their bag to be in better condition for the prices they charge.

I bought a Marc Jacobs bag from their outlet & was more than pleased w/both the bag & their customer service -- quite a few other members of TPF (MJ forum) had previously bought bags. Some got NWT bags, while others were gently used in excellent condition -- when I placed my order, I called to find out if they still had any new bags -- she went to the warehouse & came back to tell me that there were 4 bags left and one of them was NWT -- that's the bag I recd.

Unfortunately, the bag didn't work out for me and I returned it -- my cc was credited within 24 hours of their receiving the bag.

Several other PFers ordered the same MJ bag * I did and I think most of them recd NWT bags (only 2 that I know of were slightly used and one of them returned it because she didn't like it's condition). I'd highly recommend BBOS outlet -- they have 30 day money back guarantee so you're free to return anything you're unhappy with.

(Also -- I know if 2 members who recd PAs AFTER they recd their bags. One was becuz the price went down less than a week after she ordered hers -- the other recd a PA because her bag was described as being lined with leather & it was lined with canvas -- no problems at all receiving those PAs)

.........I contacted them about it and they told me they would give me a refund but never sent the return authorization paperwork after repeated inquiries. ........ and the bag I purchased remained on their site, in available inventory, for two weeks after I bought it), I decided to keep it.

when I returned my bag, I didn't need any type of return authorization -- I called & they said to just return the bag w/the receipt and just to write that you would like a refund -- of course, I shipped it via UPS w/proof of delivery, but my cc was credited within 24 hrs of receipt - they also have more than 1 bag in their inventory -- several PFers purchased the MJ Hudson from their site (I believe its still there) -- when I purchased mine, the CS rep said that they had 4 in the warehouse.

bedhead - this is such a great post - detailed, well written and so valuable. Sorry about your terrible experience, but this post will be read by thousands of tPFers and will enable them to make a more educated choice!:tup:

when I returned my bag, I didn't need any type of return authorization -- I called & they said to just return the bag w/the receipt and just to write that you would like a refund -- of course, I shipped it via UPS w/proof of delivery, but my cc was credited within 24 hrs of receipt - they also have more than 1 bag in their inventory -- several PFers purchased the MJ Hudson from their site (I believe its still there) -- when I purchased mine, the CS rep said that they had 4 in the warehouse.

They didn't ship my bag with a receipt and the e-mail confirmation I received didn't have the bag details on it, only the total price paid. At the time I made the purchase, their policy was that you had to receive a return authorization (I was told this both on the phone by one of their reps and it stated this on their website). I don't know if that policy has changed before or since.

As I said, I'm sure many people have had good experiences with them, but mine was more like a comedy of errors, with something going wrong at every step. Perhaps calling them before purchasing to confirm the bag's condition, as you did, is a better way of purchasing from them. After my experience, I'd just prefer to avoid them altogether. I have read other good reviews here about them, so maybe my situation was a fluke, but I'd rather not take that chance again. Others are free to make their own decisions, of course. :smile: