Hardware Talk

Can you all explain to me exactly what you mean about tarnishing on ruthentium? Actual tarnish that you can't do anything about? OR, do you mean like fingerprinting or what? Help me out here. How fast does this happen?

The only ruthenium thing I have is a bag charm with several medallions. When I touch a medallion, my fingerprint shows right away and it looks more like tarnish because it's dark. Since I can wipe it away easily with just any cloth, it's not really like tarnish on silverware that requires special silver cleaner and a bit of elbow grease. I'm not sure if tarnish is the right word, but it looks like tarnish because of the color.
To me to doesn't look bad. I just touch all the medallions uniformly and then everything looks equally dark.

Sorry to bump this old thread. Can someone post a photo of a well worn brushed gold hardware on a bag, e.g. Birkin or Kelly? Really want to get a feel of how this HW ages and scratches. TIA!

Yes, would love to see some pics. I chose brushed GHW for my SO Kelly purely on my SA's recommendation and now I'm a little worried. After reading some feedback on other threads about how badly it scratches, I'm very disappointed that my SA didn't bring this issue up. I didn't ask because I assumed, as others have, that the brushed hardware would make scratches less obvious.

My bag is in Paris right now being evaluated for the stinky leather issue, and if they are going to remake my bag from scratch, it might be worth it for me to request a change in hardware.

I did think the brushed GHW looked stunning on my etain bag, and I liked that it was different from what is usually seen, but I'd be just as happy with shiny gold.

Dear all,

I am browsing ebay for second hand birkin/kelly. In some pictures, vintage kelly metal feet turn black. But there is this one birkin has its lock turns silver.
I remember reading somewhere that gold metal will eventually turn black. And if it turns silver then it is fake.

All experts TPFer, can anybody confirm if the info is correct?

Dear all,

I am browsing ebay for second hand birkin/kelly. In some pictures, vintage kelly metal feet turn black. But there is this one birkin has its lock turns silver.
I remember reading somewhere that gold metal will eventually turn black. And if it turns silver then it is fake.

All experts TPFer, can anybody confirm if the info is correct?

Hi, I have never heard anything like this before. I own several vintage Hermes bags and other than the usual and expected wear and tear, none of the hardware has discolored.

I suggest you have any bags you are interested in authenticated before purchasing.

^^^This. I don't think hardware should change color (except for tarnish on sterling, which of course is correctable). Definitely have these bags authenticated; this sounds weird to me. Could it just be a function of bad photography/odd lighting?

^ Yes and just to add, gold will never turn to either black or silver. And silver/palladium will never to turn to gold.

Silver/palladium will sometimes get tarnished and look a bit darker, but a few swipes of jewelry cleaning cloth should remove the tarnish and make it look good again.

there were issues in the 2000 to 2006 years (I cant remember exactly where the palladium hardware was "tarnishing" (oxidizing?) and getting blackened spots. It was a huge problem and was corrected some years ago. I dont recall there being issues with gold hardware.