Everything Barenia Faubourg

I know it can be confusing with different leathers called similar names, but this thread is for Barenia Faubourg only.

For the original (smooth) Barenia please post here:

Reactions: mmvv22
Beware, following post is PG-13 rated.

Was having a delightful morning until my cup of overnight oats went straight down the front of by BF B35. Luckily muscle memory kicked in. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of the initial damage as I was in triage mode, but wanted to share my steps and results.

Immediately got a clean white towel and softly (literally no pressure) dabbed the oatmeal slop off my bag.

Got a new clean white towel, applied generous amounts of water (rag was sopping in the area I got wet). Dabbed all over with no pressure and soaked the area. I mean soaked. And an area much larger than where the stain was.

Got my hairdryer, low heat. From about foot away, dried the spot moving hairdryer quickly over surface.

Repeated about 7 times. Lots of water applied very softly. Lightly dry about 2 min between each water application.

Completely fixed.

View attachment 5939840
View attachment 5939841
wow so glad it's fixed!!

Reactions: _Petra_
Beware, following post is PG-13 rated.

Was having a delightful morning until my cup of overnight oats went straight down the front of by BF B35. Luckily muscle memory kicked in. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of the initial damage as I was in triage mode, but wanted to share my steps and results.

Immediately got a clean white towel and softly (literally no pressure) dabbed the oatmeal slop off my bag.

Got a new clean white towel, applied generous amounts of water (rag was sopping in the area I got wet). Dabbed all over with no pressure and soaked the area. I mean soaked. And an area much larger than where the stain was.

Got my hairdryer, low heat. From about foot away, dried the spot moving hairdryer quickly over surface.

Repeated about 7 times. Lots of water applied very softly. Lightly dry about 2 min between each water application.

Completely fixed.

View attachment 5939840
View attachment 5939841
Impressive!!

AFF has a loved Kelly 28 BF on promotion . What do you think of the condition vs price? Thank you!

AFF has a loved Kelly 28 BF on promotion . What do you think of the condition vs price? Thank you!

Personally I wouldn't pay that, with those scuffed corners. If it were in better condition, well, both Barenias are getting more expensive every year. Edited to add: Ann's is pretty particular on condition and will call out most flaws as bigger than they are; but those corners look pretty bad.

Last edited:
Hello, I am interested in purchasing a Hermes handbag made with naturally grained leather in gold/Fauve color with a matte/semi-matte appearance to start - I understand all leathers to develop a satin sheen with use eventually. Hence, I am very interested in barenia faubourg leather for not only the aforementioned qualities but also its smell, meaningfulness (heritage leather to Hermes), and touted longevity (the leather has only been out for seven years, so I guess we are all finding out together it's longevity and patina process).

I am a researcher, so I am thoroughly enjoying this forum's deep dive. I am very grateful. Thank you! The information here, however, is dense, which is a lot to take in, and I'm still left with unquenched curiosities.
  1. How easily is it scratchable? I've seen videos by YouTuber "ClaraZeela," who shares that after eight months of use, her BF Halzan is left with several scratches, many of which she doesn't know from where which leaves me thinking that it is too easily scratchable.
  2. Can scratches be buffed/rubbed away like on smooth barenia? If so, will that smooth away the natural grains of BF?
  3. Does anyone have examples/pictures of their scratches that have been buffed/rubbed away?
  4. Does anyone have examples/pictures of their bag that has patinaed and camouflaged their scratches?
I'm curious about these questions because I want to purchase a BG Handbag. If it were a luggage bag, I would welcome any number of scratches, but I want an elegant and luxurious handbag to last generations. BF is my ideal leather, but I'm unsure if it is the most fit leather for a handbag.

Thank you for your time, help, and input!

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a Hermes handbag made with naturally grained leather in gold/Fauve color with a matte/semi-matte appearance to start - I understand all leathers to develop a satin sheen with use eventually. Hence, I am very interested in barenia faubourg leather for not only the aforementioned qualities but also its smell, meaningfulness (heritage leather to Hermes), and touted longevity (the leather has only been out for seven years, so I guess we are all finding out together it's longevity and patina process).

I am a researcher, so I am thoroughly enjoying this forum's deep dive. I am very grateful. Thank you! The information here, however, is dense, which is a lot to take in, and I'm still left with unquenched curiosities.
  1. How easily is it scratchable? I've seen videos by YouTuber "ClaraZeela," who shares that after eight months of use, her BF Halzan is left with several scratches, many of which she doesn't know from where which leaves me thinking that it is too easily scratchable.
  2. Can scratches be buffed/rubbed away like on smooth barenia? If so, will that smooth away the natural grains of BF?
  3. Does anyone have examples/pictures of their scratches that have been buffed/rubbed away?
  4. Does anyone have examples/pictures of their bag that has patinaed and camouflaged their scratches?
I'm curious about these questions because I want to purchase a BG Handbag. If it were a luggage bag, I would welcome any number of scratches, but I want an elegant and luxurious handbag to last generations. BF is my ideal leather, but I'm unsure if it is the most fit leather for a handbag.

Thank you for your time, help, and input!
I don’t own a smooth Barenia, but I have B30 Barenia Faubourg that I bought from FSH in the end of July last year. So it’s 7 months old. I’d say if you rub a paper bag against a bag it will leave a light color marks but it’s not deep as a scratch. When I was carrying Hermes shopping bag and Birkin at the same hand after shopping, corners of Hermes shopping bag left those marks on my B. I’ve never tried to buff it off or rub it off. Also, I guess I get same marks if my Birkin rubs against buttons or zippers on clothes. But overall I love Barenia Faubourg and I’m glad I was offered it instead of Togo, which was my first and only wish back then. All scratches visible depending on the angle and lightning. I post different pics so you can compare. I take my bag out maybe once a month. Because last 6 months weather is not good on my days off and I stay at home mostly. But when I take my B out I don’t baby it. I’m trying to be careful but not to the point that bag is a center of my attention. Also, I must say even 7 months later the leather smell is so wonderful. I store it mostly on a shelf in my walk in closet.

Attachments

• IMG_5805.jpeg
    IMG_5805.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5801.jpeg
    IMG_5801.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5800.jpeg
    IMG_5800.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5802.jpeg
    IMG_5802.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5804.jpeg
    IMG_5804.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I don’t own a smooth Barenia, but I have B30 Barenia Faubourg that I bought from FSH in the end of July last year. So it’s 7 months old. I’d say if you rub a paper bag against a bag it will leave a light color marks but it’s not deep as a scratch. When I was carrying Hermes shopping bag and Birkin at the same hand after shopping, corners of Hermes shopping bag left those marks on my B. I’ve never tried to buff it off or rub it off. Also, I guess I get same marks if my Birkin rubs against buttons or zippers on clothes. But overall I love Barenia Faubourg and I’m glad I was offered it instead of Togo, which was my first and only wish back then. All scratches visible depending on the angle and lightning. I post different pics so you can compare. I take my bag out maybe once a month. Because last 6 months weather is not good on my days off and I stay at home mostly. But when I take my B out I don’t baby it. I’m trying to be careful but not to the point that bag is a center of my attention. Also, I must say even 7 months later the leather smell is so wonderful. I store it mostly on a shelf in my walk in closet.
Your B30 is gorgeous - I have a sister bag, a K32 in BF as well, that I have owned for about 9 months. Like you, I do not baby it, and it has visible scratches but they do not bother me, and I do not attempt to buff them. It is probably my most used bag at this point. Yours looks fabulous, great patina already!! :flowers:

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 96
View attachment 5974620View attachment 5974621
Just returned a Blue Atoll to FP for this Fauve Barenia B30. I love the blue, but wanted a more classic color. I fell in love with this bag and the scent is heavenly. I know nothing about this leather though. It just felt buttery smooth and bag is in excellent condition with stickers still intact. 😁
congrats! Love it; where were you able to find one? it's a great neutral

Reactions: LivinADreamInRSF