Food Dishwasher Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is very similar to a French cooking technique Sous Vide. In fact different people has different temperature set in their hot water tank so I think it can be risky if someone has the tank set to low to save energy.

My heart aches to see people being called psycho/drama queen/crazy when they are just showing they care about the environment. I surely do think that this is the number 1 priority over anything else.

Here's my thought process on this. One, I've heard of this before on a food network show and I thought it was irresponsible of them because it's just for "show" as you can achieve the same technique in better and more controlled way.

Then, someone comes on and while admitting what they did was loony, is going on about how GREAT it was.

My concern - people will start doing this for something novel without thinking of the consequences and that's what's happened people are saying "how cool" and "I should try that". and well... it bothers me.

Now, am I perfect and don't do anything environmentally bad? Of course, not but I really, really try. I only run the dishwasher when it is COMPLETELY full. I never use the dry function, I only do full loads of laundry and have a front load efficiency. I only water in the evenings and only when I DESPERATELY need to and the watering is an underground soaker hose (I used it once last year). In winter, I keep my house at 66 during the day (I'm a stay at home mom) and 62 at night. In summers we keep it at 80 and only turn it on when the humidity and heat are over 90 degrees. I try not to use disposable containers if possible. We drive only one car, and even that we use rarely (DH walks to the train and takes that in) and so on. I really, really try without going over the top so that our lives are uncomfortable.

I'm not surprised at the reaction of people, but I would feel irresponsible to not say, "please don't do this. There are ways to get the same thing in more efficient ways".

berryblondeboys- Are we still going to have drama in this thread? Seriously, there are better places to preach about saving the environment. This thread is about FISH. It won't kill anyone if the OP wants to cook fish in the dishwasher once in a while. She isn't going to cook in the dishwasher every single day. I think you are making a huge deal about this..if people read this thread and want to cook their fish, there's nothing wrong with that. Even if people didn't cook their fish this method there are always going to be more people wasting water or electricity somewhere else in the world.

So let's keep this thread drama free please?

I think there is no more drama going on in this thread.. its been a while. At least between the OP me and Claire (Love you Claire and your cupcakes:flowers:)

Anyways back to topic. Tilapia is my favorite fish, actually one of the few types of fish I like along with Mahi Mahi, its flavor is so mild.... I cocked some Tilapia Filets the day before yesterday . I used a little bit of butter because I was put of olive oil and it came out soo yummy I shoould've taken pictures for this thread. I did use the diswasher, lol.

I think there is no more drama going on in this thread.. its been a while. At least between the OP me and Claire (Love you Claire and your cupcakes:flowers:)

Anyways back to topic. Tilapia is my favorite fish, actually one of the few types of fish I like along with Mahi Mahi, its flavor is so mild.... I cocked some Tilapia Filets the day before yesterday . I used a little bit of butter because I was put of olive oil and it came out soo yummy I shoould've taken pictures for this thread. I did use the diswasher, lol.

Thanks Crylater :heart::heart::heart:

I love Mahi Mahi too! And your tilapia sounds delicious! :tup:

:tup: Me, too!

And congrats on your contest win you lucky thing you!!

Thanks :flowers: to you too!! I can't wait to see how the bag looks like IRL. So different from anything I own. But I was thinking lamb skin :drool:.

Anyways talking about lamb, have you decided what are you cooking for Valentines yet??? Did you find the right main course?? Your menu sounded so yummy :tup:.

I buy the Gorton's frozen grilled fillets (my favorite, the garlic kind, is shown below), and I eat those a lot because they're only 100 calories. I recently bought some frozen tilapia fillets because they are only 80 calories each! For a whole piece of fish! I always keep a few boxes of these on hand, right now I have some tilapia, salmon, and regular fish, although I don't like the tilapia as much (I found it to be rather dry). However, I just put mine in the microwave for two minutes, and voila. It's as simple as opening the box, taking the fish out of the plastic wrapper, putting it on a glass saucer, and zapping it. I prefer the microwave because it's faster, doesn't get the house all hot, etc. To be perfectly honest, energy use is the last thing on my mind when I cook. If it's convenient, it's for me. I couldn't do the dishwasher thing, though. In my mind, it's just for dirty dishes and I can't get outside that thinking.
What I like to do is boil some fettucini, put some on a plate, pour a bit of alfredo sauce (from a jar; this is for quick meals) on top, and zap in the microwave for about a minute, then top with a half a fish fillet, ground black pepper, and a sprinkle of parmesean cheese. Sooooooo gooooood...and super quick and easy...even easier if you already have cooked pasta on hand. I could eat this every other day.

grilled_garlic_butter_bg.gif

:sneaky:
I cooked fish in BOTH dishdrawers for a dinner party this evening!! (35 filets with a small pat of butter and some lemon juice and a shake of garlic powder triple wrapped in Aluminum Foil packs) They raved about it!! :jrs:

Mmmm Mmmmm Good!!

:whistle:
Anyone gonna call the Earth :police: because I guarantee one bite and their stomach will veto their jabber. :lol:

Seriously though ~ Great thread! This would have taken alot (time and energy) to prepare in the oven for 20 people... Thanks OP for posting!

BTW
I recycled the foil and as for the cooking method...I'm gonna do it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.