Banana Republic's crappy return policy

Interesting to see that I'm not the only one who's had problems with Banana Republic's CS. This spring I purchased a scarf that did not have a tag on it...I noticed that the girl at the register scanned the price tag of an identical scarf...but I did not notice that the actual fabric label with BR stitched on it was also missing from the scarf until I tried to return it to the store a week later. Needless to say I was not offered credit for it.

So I went home and packed up every item I had purchased there within the past 30 days and returned them all! I received around $600+ credit, all over a single scarf. The manager wasn't happy, I didn't care. No apologies from me.

Btw, I left the scarf in question on the counter by the register...I felt vindicated! I now shop at Ann Taylor, the clothing is of higher quality and fits perfectly every time!

Interesting to see that I'm not the only one who's had problems with Banana Republic's CS. This spring I purchased a scarf that did not have a tag on it...I noticed that the girl at the register scanned the price tag of an identical scarf...but I did not notice that the actual fabric label with BR stitched on it was also missing from the scarf until I tried to return it to the store a week later. Needless to say I was not offered credit for it.

So I went home and packed up every item I had purchased there within the past 30 days and returned them all! I received around $600+ credit, all over a single scarf. The manager wasn't happy, I didn't care. No apologies from me.

Btw, I left the scarf in question on the counter by the register...I felt vindicated! I now shop at Ann Taylor, the clothing is of higher quality and fits perfectly every time!

SMH. No offense to you, but do you really think Banana Republic is hurting financially over you returning $600 worth of merchandise. I am so tired of customers telling us they will never shop at Banana again, just because you did not get your way. Trust me, if there is an item at BR that you really like, yes you will come and shop there. Also, how are you vindicated? You just said you got a merch certificate, so basically you will be buying more of our stuff.

I am a Lead Cashier at Banana in NYC and the sob stories we here everyday is just out of hand. I am sorry they did not take back your scarf (yes, we are not allowed to take back merchandise without the sewn in Banana Republic tag. If the item is not current, there is no way for us to know it is our item. We can not remember every single item that is in our store).

^ I agree. I think people are too entitled these days. And they should always check the policy if they think they might be returning the item.
These days with all the stores changing their policies it just isn't safe to assume anything regarding returns.

AMEN!! I am a Lead Cashier at BR and I am so sick and tired of customers thinking they are entitled to things. I am also sick and tired of customers thinking they should get an extra discount just because. I do not appreciate customers coming to my register asking me for a discount, becuase the person in front of them got one. First of all, you have no idea why that customer got a discount (maybe they had a coupon or had another reason).

I am sick of customers asking me to make an exception for them or to give them a bigger discount. Do you go into a bank and ask the teller to deposit extra money in your account, just because? So cashiers are suppose to risk their jobs so you can get a discount you are not entitled to? NOT.

Also, Ladies who have a BR Luxe Card. It is not a Black AMEX. The reason you got a Luxe card is because you spent $800 in a calender year (I spend that in a month). Having a Luxe card, does not mean you are entitled to have policies changed for you. The only extra perk you get for a Luxe card is free shipping, free alterations and free online shipping. That is it!! Stop acting as if the LUXE Card means you are above others and are entitled to BR employees bending over backwards for you. BR is not Louis Vuitton, Gucci or Fendi. If you want sales associates to bend over backwards for you, go to designer clothing store.

Last edited:

ummm... seriously????

My mistake.

I still stand behind what I said. BR is not hurting because $600 was returned. She is not getting the last laugh.

I get ya. I'm all for return policies set by stores as long as they make sense. And you're right, the store isn't hurting by a $600 return or her not coming back as a customer..

For instance, I placed an order from the Gap. The pants were the wrong size so I wanted to EXCHANGE. Take them to the store, only to be told I have to return them and re-purchase. Well, that's not an exchange in my mind, that's a return.

I get ya. I'm all for return policies set by stores as long as they make sense. And you're right, the store isn't hurting by a $600 return or her not coming back as a customer..

For instance, I placed an order from the Gap. The pants were the wrong size so I wanted to EXCHANGE. Take them to the store, only to be told I have to return them and re-purchase. Well, that's not an exchange in my mind, that's a return.

Our computers do not synch with online's system. In order for you to return/exchange something you bought from online, we have to return the online item (as an online return), then buy it as a regular store item. Yes it is stupid, and we cashiers complain all the time, but online is considered it's own store. BR/Gap/Old Navy stores also, do not honor online prices

You know I have been bitten multiple times the past year from retailers changing their return policies. I have so many things in my closet right now unworn with the tag still on them that I am planning to just give away to a local charity. I am talking about pieces that cost anywhere from $100 to $300. Total waste of money.
Most of the items are bought with the idea of wearing them for an event and most of the time I end up finding something better. It takes me time to go back to the store and return the item (more than 30/60 days). Other times, I buy stuff to pair it with something I already have, only to go home and find out that it does not work.

I don't think retailers fully thought this through, because in my case I won't buy anything anymore unless I really know I need it badly and I will use it. I especially don't buy anything anymore, or not as much, from stores like BR, Gap, and all the stores that restricted their return policy. I much prefer to shop from places like Nordstrom. So, really it's their loss.
A good return policy is good to have because when I buy something (we ladies do that a lot, LOL) I know that if it does not match anything I have in my closet or if I end up not wearing it, I can always return it after 90/180 days not 30 days or even 60. People have busy lives!

I strongly disagree and this is why I NEVER shop at Nordstrom. I don't want to buy anything that might have been sitting in someone else's closet for over 30 days. And I'm a size 0/XS which most stores do not receive many units of, so if I see an item that I want to buy AND keep, how fair is it that I can never find my size because some other woman thought she "might like it but may return it three months later." You're right, people have busy lives and I don't have time to walk aimlessly around a mall trying to catch something recently returned. I want to buy what I want, go home, take the tags off and wear it.

I work in the retail industry. Retailers do not want fickle shoppers that buy something on a whim and then return over a month later. There's so many business costs that need to be wrapped into the full retail price and it's not fair to just have all the profit go out the window while a piece is hanging in someone else's closet, only to have to be marked down at wholesale unit cost to get it out of the store. It costs them in human resources to have people process returns all the time, which does not return a profit. One extra person at the registers processing -$s is one less person on the sales floor helping customers, and personally... when I'm shopping at another brand, I prefer to be helped by an attentive staff. I also don't like having quality go down and prices remain the same just so a brand can stay in business. It affects all of us.

With our brand and several of our competitors, the return policy is 14 days for exchange OR store credit ONLY. And it works for us, because we provide such great customer service that there's no doubt that the item will fit perfectly. Occasionally, we'll get people that want to return for money back because of buyer's remorse ($$$) but that's not really our problem. We provided a service, they agreed to buy the good and the return policy is at the cash wrap/receipt/we verbally mention it. We rarely get exchanges even, because our regular clientele shops for keeps.

I strongly disagree and this is why I NEVER shop at Nordstrom. I don't want to buy anything that might have been sitting in someone else's closet for over 30 days. And I'm a size 0/XS which most stores do not receive many units of, so if I see an item that I want to buy AND keep, how fair is it that I can never find my size because some other woman thought she "might like it but may return it three months later." You're right, people have busy lives and I don't have time to walk aimlessly around a mall trying to catch something recently returned. I want to buy what I want, go home, take the tags off and wear it.

I work in the retail industry. Retailers do not want fickle shoppers that buy something on a whim and then return over a month later. There's so many business costs that need to be wrapped into the full retail price and it's not fair to just have all the profit go out the window while a piece is hanging in someone else's closet, only to have to be marked down at wholesale unit cost to get it out of the store. It costs them in human resources to have people process returns all the time, which does not return a profit. One extra person at the registers processing -$s is one less person on the sales floor helping customers, and personally... when I'm shopping at another brand, I prefer to be helped by an attentive staff. I also don't like having quality go down and prices remain the same just so a brand can stay in business. It affects all of us.

With our brand and several of our competitors, the return policy is 14 days for exchange OR store credit ONLY. And it works for us, because we provide such great customer service that there's no doubt that the item will fit perfectly. Occasionally, we'll get people that want to return for money back because of buyer's remorse ($$$) but that's not really our problem. We provided a service, they agreed to buy the good and the return policy is at the cash wrap/receipt/we verbally mention it. We rarely get exchanges even, because our regular clientele shops for keeps.

I think it's a bit unfair to not shop at Nordstrom just because of their generous return policy, but it is each to her own. Typically if the item being returned is not a current item, it doesn't make it back to the floor- it is usually sent to somewhere else. Nordstrom (at least their full line stores) is all about keeping their floor inventory fresh and current.

I also work part time in retail (just 2 shifts a week to get the discount), but we have an open-ended return policy. Tags, no tags; receipt, no receipt - we will take it back, and our customers love us. I really enjoy working there because we never have to deal with irate customers because of our relaxed return policy.

That's why I started to work there - it was my very favorite place to shop. The chain has been around a a gazillion years and is doing very well. I always wonder why some stores have such a rigid return policy when we do so well with our relaxed one. I really enjoy working with the customers and never have any feelings of animosity toward them, I don't have to - because they are so happy to shop with us.

We rarely get merchandise back that we have to write off. Yes it happens, but most of the stuff we get back is still sellable. I'm sure if the company was losing money, they would change the policy, but it has been working this way forever.

I was shocked to read some of the posts here - both at the unhappy customers because of rigid return policies, and at the retail staff who seem to be overly frustrated with customers trying to returns things that they can't. Wow. I'm so glad not to have to deal with those issues where I work.

I happen to be a shopper who buys something with the expectation that if I am not happy within the return time, I will return...That said...
I completely love Nordstrom's...I buy there with the assurance that I am going to be treated with the same respect when I return as when I purchased...No exception..
When I need to buy something, I ALWAYS hit the Nordies in my area or go online to try and buy it there first....The quality is excellent and the people who work there are respectful...When I spend my money, I expect absolutely NO LESS.
Some of these stores are not what they were and the quality of their merchandise is also not as good...It is no enjoyment to purchase there and have to haggle over a return...JMO

I've been reading these posts with interest. I'm Australian with many American friends who often tell me about buying something, even wearing it, then deciding they want to get their money back as they don't really "love" it, not because it was of poor quality or damaged.
We don't have this luxury - our policies are much stricter. There's NO possibility of returning something worn and/or without tags, unless there is an obvious flaw in the product. Even then, it's sometimes very difficult.
Realistically, if you buy something and don't return it within their specified time, the store/company may be unable to sell it - it then becomes their loss. It doesn't matter that they're a big company (perhaps they're made up of thousands of small shareholders?) - it isn't a smart business plan to continue with this practice.

^i totally agree--it's the American culture and not to say all American are like this, because a lot immigrate here (like my parents and I) and do not practice the same type of thinking that that is okay.

in Asia it's the same..some stores won't even let you return, at least not in hk where I'm from

and adding to crissyws comment, I think again it's the culture. people in Canada are nicer (and less likely to abuse this open end return policy)

in America, it is the land of entitlement, sue happy, type of environment

I think American retail is so stuck on "the customer is always right" motto. Even when stores change their policies, if a customer starts a hissyfit, the store manager or sales associate will bend the rules and refund/exchange just to make the customer go away..

I grew up in Berlin, shopping at C&A, H&M, KaDeWe - where return policies are very strict.