Banana Republic's crappy return policy

i used to shop at banana republic but no longer. i haven't personally found it difficult to return anything but i've read about the awful return policy they've implemented in recent years. i don't like to shop in stores that only provide good customer service when the person is buying something and not when returns occur. the real customer service happens when someone is returning something...i always watch for good services during returns and it determines whether i'm going to shop at that store in the future. there's so many stores i do not even step into if the return policy or services sucks.

"Real customer service" isn't taking returns willy-nilly. It's having a fair policy and implementing it equally. A 30 day return policy is more than fair for a company that's in the business of selling seasonal clothing. Anything longer than 30 days is a gift... a gift that people often seem to abuse.

The "customer is always right" adage has gotten to too many people's heads -- the customer isn't always right. In fact, the customer is often down right wrong, rude, disrespectful, preposterous and disagreeable.

Oh, in case you're wondering -- I don't work in retail -- I just shop in retail and am often bewildered by the increased sense of self-entitlement that people try to inflict upon those around them. From the divas who toss all the clothing they try on onto the floor (including the one I witnessed peeing on a pile of new clothing in the dressing room across from me), to the woman who's at the register holding everyone up while arguing that she should be able to return her 6 month old items from two seasons past -- it affects all of us (from something as simple as ended up going home with clothing that's been tried on and stepped on, to having our time wasted, to paying higher prices because of loss).

It's not difficult to learn the follow the rules -- even a 5 year old can do it -- provided they've been raised properly.

"Real customer service" isn't taking returns willy-nilly. It's having a fair policy and implementing it equally. A 30 day return policy is more than fair for a company that's in the business of selling seasonal clothing. Anything longer than 30 days is a gift... a gift that people often seem to abuse.

The "customer is always right" adage has gotten to too many people's heads -- the customer isn't always right. In fact, the customer is often down right wrong, rude, disrespectful, preposterous and disagreeable.

Oh, in case you're wondering -- I don't work in retail -- I just shop in retail and am often bewildered by the increased sense of self-entitlement that people try to inflict upon those around them. From the divas who toss all the clothing they try on onto the floor (including the one I witnessed peeing on a pile of new clothing in the dressing room across from me), to the woman who's at the register holding everyone up while arguing that she should be able to return her 6 month old items from two seasons past -- it affects all of us (from something as simple as ended up going home with clothing that's been tried on and stepped on, to having our time wasted, to paying higher prices because of loss).

It's not difficult to learn the follow the rules -- even a 5 year old can do it -- provided they've been raised properly.

Thank you karmalaw. It is customers like you that we at BR love (I appreciate your comment), and it is customers like you that I will gladly give extra discounts to or bend the rules for. Common courtesy and respect to cashiers gets you a long way in retail. Acting like you are entitled to things, will never get you what you want.

I am already gearing up for the nonsense that comes with holiday shopping.

I agree with everything said in the above post ^^^

Seems people today take no responsibility for anything anymore. If I buy something from a store, the onus is on ME to ask questions, to make sure I understand their policies. I do not work in retail, but I do shop a lot. I realize policies can change, and that different stores have different rules. I have never had a problem asking an SA their return policy. And if I forget to ask, oh well. It's my fault. But it's always clearly stated on the receipt.

I don't blame these stores for changing/tightening their return policies.....they were much too lenient to begin with, so couple that with some people's sense of entitlement, and it was ripe for abuse.

I have been a loyal customer for 10+ years.

Not anymore. Now, any time you buy anything - you better make sure it's right or else get ready for being humiliated when you go back to return!

Their return policy is now 60 days. That sounds like a decent time but trying buying an item and maybe not using it for 60 days and see how time flies. Lets say you go on vacation or maybe not even use an item for a period of time. You'll be surprised how fast 60 days flies by.

Their standard excuse is "the system won't let me"! Yeah, whatever. What good is having a manager around when he/she has no more leeway than the scruff working at the check out counter?

I'm never shopping there again. Too many other great stores around that won't give you the grief that BR does