Banana Republic's crappy return policy

Sorry oliam1, I know how you feel :sad:

On Black Friday I bought a coat from BR because it was 60% off.

Approximately 40 days later, having never actually worn the coat (it's never that cold in CA), I checked the receipt and planned on returning it when I realized that the return policy was only 30 days. So I still have the coat. I have since worn it... once... at least it's a timeless wool trench I can wear forever.

I returned stuff I got from Old Navy on Black Friday since the Old Navy return policy was still 90 days as of New Years. I agree that 30 days seems a little short.

in your case you could have returned the coat because during the holidays they extended the return period that was printed on the receipt

if you get a gift receipt it gives you 60 days instead of the 30 that maybe something to ask for if you are not sure of your purchase

and GAP, ON, and BR used to have a great return policy

i agree that their policy is lame...it'd be so much easier if it were 90 days!!! but to be fair, they do clearly state it on the back of their receipts (i know cuz i was unable to return a coat i purchased for a refund in the form of purchase, after reading their policy haha).

I actually got lucky returning a pair of shoes to Piperlime (a Gap company) that was something like 1-2 days past their 45 day return period. I called their customer service to see what I could do and the CS rep gave me a one-time exception to their 45-day rule and let me return the shoes. Granted, I haven't received confirmaton of the credit yet, so my fingers are crossed that her notation in my order will stick...

I remember when they started changing their return policy... I haven't shopped at BR in a long time because most of their clothes do not fit me properly, not even the petite sizes.

I've worked in retail before, and some people really take advantage of generous return policies. I'm not surprised nor do I blame Gap/BR/Old Navy for the change... but I wish they could be more lenient (like in this case). I think they should have been able to give back the full value that you paid, since you had the receipt... that is completely unfair to give you the lower price just because the dress went on sale.

Not being funny but to me 30 days is long enough in order to return something purely and simply because you changed your mind, i mean what irks me is when companies actually accept worn things back into the system, i feel this is why so many defective items are sent out because customers are allowed to buy, wear, and then return for a refund and all the stores do is to re-attach new tags and sell on.... sooooo wrong!
What i DO think should of been done though is that you were credited the full amount that you paid, because as you stated - the item is brand new with tags and you still have the receipt, i can't honestly see HOW they can get away with crediting you less than YOU paid purely and simply because THEY decided in the time between you buying and returning that they would put the item on sale, it is almost like you are being punished for their choices, not right at all, i think you have a case here if you choose to fight them, good luck chick and keep us informed of what you decide to do :biggrin:

in your case you could have returned the coat because during the holidays they extended the return period that was printed on the receipt

if you get a gift receipt it gives you 60 days instead of the 30 that maybe something to ask for if you are not sure of your purchase

and GAP, ON, and BR used to have a great return policy

Oh?? I didn't know! Thanks for pointing this out. Maybe I could have returned it after all. I didn't even try, I just saw I was past the 30 days. I do like the coat a lot but it's too heavy of a coat for CA, lol.

A gift receipt would only get me store credit though, right?

and I think Nordstrom (who has the BEST return policy in the industry) will be following suit.
I'm not sure I agree with that. They figure a certain amount of loss due to returns, and I bet a lot of people shop there because of their liberal return policy (not just the 'chronic returners'). One of the best return policies was Costco--bring it back anytime for a refund. People seriously brought back 5 year old televisions and expected (and got) a full refund. So it was limited to 90 days for electronics with a complimentary 2 year warranty. I've heard rumors that they're possibly going to limit returns of other merchandise to 2 years--but really, that's still quite generous; and I know if there was truly an issue with an item that should last longer, they'd take care of it. So even if Nordies does impose a limit, I wouldn't be surprised if it was left up to manager's discretion for such cases, due to their wonderful customer service.

I recently learned the hard way with a jeans purchase at the Gap. I made a purchase before a 2 week overseas trip that I decided to return. I can only get to the store on the weekends since I work late. Since I was overseas for 2 weeks and then was busy for the next 2 weeks, I went in 5-6 weeks later and they would not take it back except for a store credit. I was :mad: It wasn't until they pointed out their new policy that I saw that it had been changed to 30 days. I think they should tell you that when you are paying, or, they should increase it to at least 60 days. Sometimes 30 days just isn't enough time to get back into the store to return an item! Not good business practices IMO.

in my personal experience, retailers that have changed their return policies (like BR and Holt Renfrew) have informed me of such changes at point of purchase. i think it is important for retailers to inform you of a change, but we also have to consider when this change came into effect. if it's been several months (4-6 months after the fact) it would be the last thing on my mind if i was closing a sale. its really unfortunate you weren't informed ahead of time. live and learn, i suppose?

i also think that 30 days is plenty of time to do a return. especially when one considers how often retailers such as BR release new collections, it is unrealistic to expect that they will continue to accept items that might be completely out of season. if companies start making exceptions, then what is the point in having a policy? how is one to differentiate between whom to give an exception to and whom not to? its a very tough line.

Besides Nordstrom, Kohls also has a great return policy. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of the merchandise but for the kids, it's fine.

I rarely go into the Gap/BR anymore b/c I don't like their return policy. I don't get to the mall very often so it's hard for me to make it back there in 30 days if I change my mind. Old Navy still has 90 days as far as I know but I haven't been in a while so maybe it's changed. ON has more locations so it's not as hard for me to get there if I need to return something.

I think Gap/BR/ON should all print the return by date on their receipt like Target does so that it's clear when the item has to be returned for a full refund. I also don't buy anything expensive at Target b/c if it breaks after 90 days than they won't take it back.

I agree that if you have a receipt and the tags are attached, they should give you credit for the amount you paid.

I'm sorry, but really...how often do you read the back of the receipt when you buy something?

When a store like BR or the gap makes a major change to something as important as their return policy, they should keep a sign by the registers for at least 60 days.