Banana Republic's crappy return policy

The return policy is printed on the back of every receipt and there are signs at the checkout counter. If you think it's unfair that the store is adhering to those terms, then yes, I agree that you probably shouldn't shop there.

The return policy is printed on the back of every receipt and there are signs at the checkout counter. If you think it's unfair that the store is adhering to those terms, then yes, I agree that you probably shouldn't shop there.

A lot of people are saying they won't shop here anymore because the CS has declined as well. The entire issue isn't even the return policy. What happened to me and a few other girls on this thread is unacceptable, and the stuff that's happened to us was NOT stated on the back of the receipt/signs at the registers.

This is quite common. No offense but you went past the return limit.
You are lucky to be getting a credit. You have to remember that the store is a business, there to make money. It's not a "lending library" for clothes.

Also, I know the item was bought recently but when I worked in retail people bought stuff all the time and tried to return it a 6 months or a year later and get the full amount that they paid credited to them. ( seriously)
Imagine if they always credited the full amount paid? they would loose so much money.

A lot of people are saying they won't shop here anymore because the CS has declined as well. The entire issue isn't even the return policy. What happened to me and a few other girls on this thread is unacceptable, and the stuff that's happened to us was NOT stated on the back of the receipt/signs at the registers.

You stated in your post that you tried to make a return after 31 days when the returns period is 30 days. You still got a credit. It would've been nice if that girl hadn't screwed up and you were able to use that credit the same day and apply the coupon, but you were by no means entitled to it. Your other option would've been to make a new purchase if you wanted to apply the coupon.

irish_clover: ITA. It'd be one thing if there was no policy clearly posted, but for people to complain because they didn't read the policy clearly or because they think it shouldn't apply to them is ridiculous.

Last edited:
^ I agree. I think people are too entitled these days. And they should always check the policy if they think they might be returning the item.
These days with all the stores changing their policies it just isn't safe to assume anything regarding returns.

You stated in your post that you tried to make a return after 31 days when the returns period is 30 days. You still got a credit. It would've been nice if that girl hadn't screwed up and you were able to use that credit the same day and apply the coupon, but you were by no means entitled to it. Your other option would've been to make a new purchase if you wanted to apply the coupon.

irish_clover: ITA. It'd be one thing if there was no policy clearly posted, but for people to complain because they didn't read the policy clearly or because they think it shouldn't apply to them is ridiculous.

Uhmmm, what?

Never did I think I was entitled for anything or that the rules didn't apply to me. I stated that I missed the return policy by one day, but I just said it was frustrating on my behalf. I said this because I was giving some background to my experience. Never did I think OR state in my post that I thought I was entitled. I said that the credit after the 30 days sucked, but I could totally live with it. Its just a big difference from what their return policy used to be. That's all.

I realize that the 31 day thing was my problem...... So I have no idea why you are saying that I felt like I was entitled-- I don't. Last time I checked, I'm allowed to state that a situation is frustrating.

Yes, my other option was that I could have made a purchase there with my coupon. That is stating the obvious. But guess what? It was my right to want to use my coupon WITH my store credit that day.

My post was focusing on the fact that their employees should be educated on the policies to give credits AFTER the 30-day policy. The girl gave me attitude saying that having the credit mailed to me was the ONLY way. Another employee chimed in and backed her up. When the manager approached, it turns out it wasn't and the two employees were wrong. He explained that the employees were wrong and this has happened a few times with various employees processing after 30-day returns. This is a problem. If they don't want to process anything after 30 days, then that is completely fine. But if a store accepts any type of return after 30 days (whether it be for a store credit or what not), then I expect it to be done right.

It is my money and if they issue store credits IN the store, and NOT by mail after the 30-day policy, then I want it.

I just made a complaint and BR felt really badly about what happened. They admitted that it was a mistake on their behalf. They said that this has been happening quite a bit since they changed their policy, and they are working on trying to fix it so there are no more problems and unhappy customers.

I used to work for this company back in high school years ago, and the employee training and CS has gone way WAY downhill.

This is my opinion, and I am entitled to that. Even the BR headquarters backed me up, so I'm not sure what else to say, lol.
Thanks.

Last edited:
This is quite common. No offense but you went past the return limit.
You are lucky to be getting a credit. You have to remember that the store is a business, there to make money. It's not a "lending library" for clothes.

Also, I know the item was bought recently but when I worked in retail people bought stuff all the time and tried to return it a 6 months or a year later and get the full amount that they paid credited to them. ( seriously)
Imagine if they always credited the full amount paid? they would loose so much money.

I worked in retail for 6 years. I'm not sure why you're telling me this, as it isn't relevant to my situation and I have a serious problem with people who do this and would never do anything like it myself. My BF got the clothes for me, and I didn't have a chance to return them because of work. I never wore them except when I tried them on to see if they fit or not.

I never expected to get the full amount back. I was just stunned that the policy had changed. They do not have the store return policies posted at the register at my local store. Maybe they haven't gotten around to it or they took them down? But either way, they aren't at my store. They very well could be at the other stores, though.

I stated in my original post that I understood and that I can live with the adjusted amounts that were refunded back to me. I understand that stores lose money. But their original return policy was 3 months, not 6 months or a year like you said. So again, this is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
^ Why are you quoting me? I wasn't talking to you or responding to your situation.
I was talking to the OP about her situation. I was just saying that if they make one rule for someone, they have to have the same rule for everyone.
It's not fair to the company or the customers to credit the full amount after the return date to one customer and not the other.

I was explaining why this might have happened to OP so yes it was relevant.

^ Why are you quoting me? I wasn't talking to you or responding to your situation.
I was talking to the OP about her situation. I was just saying that if they make one rule for someone, they have to have the same rule for everyone.
It's not fair to the company or the customers to credit the full amount after the return date to one customer and not the other.

I was explaining why this might have happened to OP so yes it was relevant.

Sorry, I thought you were responding to me :flowers:

I do agree with you, but I think its also fair to acknowledge that BR/Gap/Old Navy's customer service has decreased significantly.

That's ok.:smile: I don't really shop at those stores so I don't know how their service is. I just know that a lot of places have changed their return policies lately because of the economy.

I've noticed that in some stores they seem to be understaffed and not trained as well as they should be..I guess the economy still being bad could have to do with that too.

I am ok with a 30 day return policy for me but what is hard is when I am shopping for my kids clothes at baby/kid Gap.

They run their BTS sales in what, July?? I can't buy anything because fall weather doesn't show up where we live until mid-Oct. The last 2 years my kids had growth spurts in Sept. and couldn't fit into any of the pants I bought them during the BTS sales and it is past the return date. I am fine not shopping Gap since their quality sucks big time for kids clothes. But, they really lost out on alot of my business because of their return policy. I have the same issue with holiday clothes. By December they are sold out and I don't want to buy anything too early because I may not be able to return it. I am not looking to return things months later but a little leeway would be nice. It has helped curb my spending though!

Also, I think it is insane not to let managers override the computer. That is a whole other rant though.

That's ok.:smile: I don't really shop at those stores so I don't know how their service is. I just know that a lot of places have changed their return policies lately because of the economy.

I've noticed that in some stores they seem to be understaffed and not trained as well as they should be..I guess the economy still being bad could have to do with that too.

I definitely agree! I didn't think about it like that..

Uuh! Sorry to hear this! I am a BR customer. Most of my work wardrobe comes from there. I'm not a "returns" person because I try the clothes on in the store and then buy them. However, if I bought something full price, figuring it would go on sale in a couple of weeks and would want to make a price adjustment, I would get pissed if they didn't honor it. Losing money on a return that clearly had the tags on it, would upset me to no end also. It's okay to vent 'cause you just educated all of us as to what to expect!

Uhmmm, what?

Never did I think I was entitled for anything or that the rules didn't apply to me. I stated that I missed the return policy by one day, but I just said it was frustrating on my behalf. I said this because I was giving some background to my experience. Never did I think OR state in my post that I thought I was entitled. I said that the credit after the 30 days sucked, but I could totally live with it. Its just a big difference from what their return policy used to be. That's all.

I realize that the 31 day thing was my problem...... So I have no idea why you are saying that I felt like I was entitled-- I don't. Last time I checked, I'm allowed to state that a situation is frustrating.

Yes, my other option was that I could have made a purchase there with my coupon. That is stating the obvious. But guess what? It was my right to want to use my coupon WITH my store credit that day.

My post was focusing on the fact that their employees should be educated on the policies to give credits AFTER the 30-day policy. The girl gave me attitude saying that having the credit mailed to me was the ONLY way. Another employee chimed in and backed her up. When the manager approached, it turns out it wasn't and the two employees were wrong. He explained that the employees were wrong and this has happened a few times with various employees processing after 30-day returns. This is a problem. If they don't want to process anything after 30 days, then that is completely fine. But if a store accepts any type of return after 30 days (whether it be for a store credit or what not), then I expect it to be done right.

It is my money and if they issue store credits IN the store, and NOT by mail after the 30-day policy, then I want it.

I just made a complaint and BR felt really badly about what happened. They admitted that it was a mistake on their behalf. They said that this has been happening quite a bit since they changed their policy, and they are working on trying to fix it so there are no more problems and unhappy customers.

I used to work for this company back in high school years ago, and the employee training and CS has gone way WAY downhill.

This is my opinion, and I am entitled to that. Even the BR headquarters backed me up, so I'm not sure what else to say, lol.
Thanks.

You mixed up my response to you with my response to irish_clover.

This was addressed to you: You stated in your post that you tried to make a return after 31 days when the returns period is 30 days. You still got a credit. It would've been nice if that girl hadn't screwed up and you were able to use that credit the same day and apply the coupon, but you were by no means entitled to it. Your other option would've been to make a new purchase if you wanted to apply the coupon.

This was addressed to irish_clover: ITA. It'd be one thing if there was no policy clearly posted, but for people to complain because they didn't read the policy clearly or because they think it shouldn't apply to them is ridiculous.

I never accused you of having a sense of entitlement, which you think I did judging by what you wrote here:
Never did I think OR state in my post that I thought I was entitled. I said that the credit after the 30 days sucked, but I could totally live with it. Its just a big difference from what their return policy used to be. That's all.

What I did write was that "it would've been nice if that girl hadn't screwed up and you were able to use that credit the same day and apply the coupon, but you were by no means entitled to it." In other words, you are not legally entitled to that discount, and again, if you wanted it badly, you would've had to pay in a separate transaction. I don't pretend to know what you think and whether you have a sense of entitlement. I've only made factual statements pertaining to your post.

It's too bad that you did have such a negative experience, but don't put words in my mouth.

You mixed up my response to you with my response to irish_clover.

This was addressed to you: You stated in your post that you tried to make a return after 31 days when the returns period is 30 days. You still got a credit. It would've been nice if that girl hadn't screwed up and you were able to use that credit the same day and apply the coupon, but you were by no means entitled to it. Your other option would've been to make a new purchase if you wanted to apply the coupon.

This was addressed to irish_clover: ITA. It'd be one thing if there was no policy clearly posted, but for people to complain because they didn't read the policy clearly or because they think it shouldn't apply to them is ridiculous.

I never accused you of having a sense of entitlement, which you think I did judging by what you wrote here: What I did write was that "it would've been nice if that girl hadn't screwed up and you were able to use that credit the same day and apply the coupon, but you were by no means entitled to it." In other words, you are not legally entitled to that discount, and again, if you wanted it badly, you would've had to pay in a separate transaction. I don't pretend to know what you think and whether you have a sense of entitlement. I've only made factual statements pertaining to your post.

It's too bad that you did have such a negative experience, but don't put words in my mouth.

I understand, but I think you can see how I confused what you said to irish_clover thinking you were talking to me. This is because you initially addressed your post to me, and I thought you were implying I was saying I felt entitled. It was hard to see that you changed the direction of your post to another person and were not still talking to me.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, just simply defending what I think is right :smile: