Bag Insults - Ever Had One?

The only time I have had anyone comment negatively was when I was wearing a pair of Choo flats and a woman commented on how cute they were and where I got them and how much. I told her I got them at a boutique in Las Vegas and they were around $350...not that much for a pair of Choos. She just looked at me for a sec, huffed and walked away. Well, then don't ask!!!

I've been lucky and haven't received too many comments from huffy people like this about purses/shoes. However, I can't say the same when it comes to dogs. You'd be floored at some of the rude things people say when they ask how much your dog is and when you say $3500 - they look at you like you've got three heads, then insult the dog, and say they'd never pay $ for a dog - only mutts are worth anything! Argh - people!

The only time I have had anyone comment negatively was when I was wearing a pair of Choo flats and a woman commented on how cute they were and where I got them and how much. I told her I got them at a boutique in Las Vegas and they were around $350...not that much for a pair of Choos. She just looked at me for a sec, huffed and walked away. Well, then don't ask!!!

I one received a comment that really made me hot and mad!!!
At my office a bag lady came in with knock off for the office girls to look at. A couple of girls asked me why I wasn't at the staff lounge looking at the bags- she knew I loved bags..I told her that I had all the bags I wanted and I had lots to do...the bag lady came over and looked at my purse and said "did I sell u that purse-i have one just like it- for $50."-she said this infront of everyone I said no that I bought it at the coach store and I paid a little more--she said "no-honey that looks faker than the ones I have" needless to saty I wasn't going to argue- next thing u knew all the girls who bought purses regret it-their purses where falling apart and they we're toooo ugly! Payback! :smile: :biggrin:

I think the money question is really invasive, especially from strangers. I refuse to answer that anymore because they're only trying to set me up! LOL Now even when my Mom will ask me I'll say...I'm not telling, she just laughs. :smile:

Linda

i get the 'how much did you pay for that?' followed by 'i would never pay that much for a bag.' i feel its a back handed insult. :s
I always have a feeling that it's only the first half of their remark; the other half which they don't speak out loud goes like this:
' - and better you give me your money / your bag NOW or else!!!'
:biggrin:

Reactions: Sferics
I was talking about a new purse purchase at work (with people that love purses, too) and a co-worker walked up and said, "how many purses do you have?" I, of course, replied, "not enough!!! That worked!

"Oh, that's a kid purse!"
-Said to me by a woman decked out in tinkerbell and disney gear about my Legoland lego purse. It's blue and shaped like a lego, complete with the pegs that double as zipper pockets. Lady, it's a LEGO PURSE. How could I say no? I love my lego purse and I don't care what you say.

-"Oh, this is niiiice. How'd you geeeet it?"
Said to me by a girl in my class about my Chanel WoC. Her family is beyond well-off. She loved bragging about the stuff she'd get (Hello Kitty by Kimora Lee Simmons stuff, Marc Jacobs bag after Marc Jacobs bag, and so on) and wore HOLES into a pair of Marc Jacobs flats and then moved up to a pair of CL flats. I hate to see what she'll do to those. She sneered at my CL Graffiti flats (my 17th birthday present... I just got them resoled!), my Pucci rainboots (which I bought), and one of my vintage guccis (grandpa's friend gave them to my mom years ago and we share them now). I'm sorry my parents can't buy me a Mandarin Day, $1000 jewelry, or a new car like your parents, but the WoC was a Christmas gift. I didn't sell a kidney to buy it (though I would love to do that to fund my someday Jumbo!), nor did I rob a bank or steal money from my parents.
...And why are you fondling my wallet like that? :shocked:

-"Mommy's Louis Vuitton?"
Said by a random stranger. I was carrying my mom's Murakami panda purse when we were out shopping one day. I'm lucky enough that she lets me borrow her nice stuff. And I said back to her, "Why yes, it is." with a nice smug grin.

Last edited:
In a place where we used to work, we had a TV in the reception area. I had just come into work one day carrying my bag and there was a shopping program on.

The lady had a bag like mine in a different color and announced the price, which was around $900 at the time for a Marc Jacobs multipocket bag. One of my colleagues (who was into handbags) saw it and said to me "OMG that is just like YOUR bag. How awesome that it is on TV." One of the other coworkers gave me the stinkiest look and rolled her eyes and said "I can't believe you would pay that much for a bag. How stupid."

That was a dumb thing for her to say, considering that she had just purchased a luxury car, and then filed bankruptcy to avoid paying for it, and everyone knew because she would have long LOUD conversations with her attorney on the phone at work.

I looked her straight in the eye and announced to the whole room "It may be a lot to pay, but I believe in only buying things I can pay for."

Dead silence. Then she stalked out of the room and we never had to hear about her legal woes again at the office. Or nasty comments about anyone's bag, either.:biggrin:

Egads this is the ugliest thread....even worse than the ugly bag thread.I wish i couldn't believe that people can be so rude!! Why can't everyone just mind their own business??? It reminds me of when I worked in a factory for awhile, a really hateful job 12 hr nights tedious and boring but good money. I would always get "Oh she's rich"... and would reply if I was rich then I CERTAINLY would not be working here! That usually shut up whoever. I guess only rudeness works. But I was raised if you cna't say something nice than say nothing at all!

I got one today, but it was snide comments whispered so I "wouldn't" hear.

A coworker pointed out "Nice bag!" And I asked how she knew that one was mine, she said "Only you would be carrying a big name bag amongst us."

And some of my other coworkers looked at my bag turned to each other, scoffed and said "How spoiled!" "She drives a Mercedes and buys expensive things, why does she bother working here."

That really hurt. We were supposed to be buddies and be trusting and all that. :/

Reactions: Sferics
Make that triplets!!!

My answer to their first question is now "I'm not sure it was a gift" coz it leaves them with nowhere to go

JEALOUSY MY DEARS - mean mouthed JEALOUSY

My sister (who introdiced me to the bag-drug with her real gift of a Paul Smith Satchel) once had a stranger come up to her in the street and say:

"you people make me sick with your bags and fancy shoes, it's people like you that caused the recession":nuts:

then that person doesnt understand economics.

"Oh, that's a kid purse!"
-Said to me by a woman decked out in tinkerbell and disney gear about my Legoland lego purse. It's blue and shaped like a lego, complete with the pegs that double as zipper pockets. Lady, it's a LEGO PURSE. How could I say no? I love my lego purse and I don't care what you say.

I would love a Lego shaped purse over any of the Disney gear they sell (minus some things for Disney Couture)!

I don't understand... I've always thought it would be rude to even ask a person how much her XXX cost. It's as rude as asking you straight in the face how much you earn (not that there should be any connection between salary and the price of a bag).

Where I work, a lot of people are actually open and at ease about disclosing their salary, low and high, but just not out of the blue of course. We often talk about our finances, how much goes to gas, to insurance, and other basic needs to how much goes to our hair, bags, etc. Anyway, so many girls at work know me as the girl who goes crazy with her money on bags; however, I actually don't spend that much at all compared to the average TPF- I think. My bags on average have only cost me 250 bucks (though they retail for much, much more on average).