answers to AUTHENTICITY questions!!!

Can you spot the fake hangtag? This shows a really good side by side so you can see the differences.View attachment 3577876

Ooooo! Ooooo! I know! (Waves hand frantically) :biggrin:

I figured you both would know! For everyone else, if you guessed the white one, you'd be right! The font is wrong, the letters are too tall, there isn't enough space between the letters and the frame. For some reason, most of the hangtags that are used on fake keychains have that groove between the hole and the main part of the hangtag.

Is this a legit site? shopluxurysale.com

NO. All the photos and graphics are stolen from Coach's website and used illegally, the items pictured are NOT what you'll receive, there's no valid contact information, email, phone number, address, or even where these crooks are located, and the site is registered in CHINA. Any website originating in China and selling "discounted" designer brands is selling 100 percent COUNTERFEIT items.

Domain Name: SHOPLUXURYSALE.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2083370911_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar URL: www.publicdomainregistry.com
Updated Date: 2016-12-20T02:59:38Z
Creation Date: 2016-12-20T02:59:35Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-12-20T02:59:35Z
Registrar: PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
Registrar IANA ID: 303
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: fangjuhui
Registrant Organization: fang juhui
Registrant Street: jiugeitarenduchengrenkanoniye
Registrant City: Beijing
Registrant State/Province: Beijing
Registrant Postal Code: 362456
Registrant Country: CN

Many, many thanks to you both - how do they get away with it? I guess there's a crook around every corner just waiting to take your hard-earned money.
They are in China so they can't get at the culprits. You can report it to Coach if you want to help get it shut down. The US government eventually shuts down the website but they just create a new one.

Many, many thanks to you both - how do they get away with it? I guess there's a crook around every corner just waiting to take your hard-earned money.

That's why they always locate their businesses in China. China may have been pressured into adding a few new anti-counterfeiting laws to their books, but enforcing them is another matter altogether. They'do a few token raids and make a few token arrests, and everyone else is in the clear. And in most cases, those addresses listed in the Whois lookups are just an office and a desk so even if the Reds raid the office, the business goes on - along with the usual bribes to local Party officials to look the other way, of course. I'd estimate that at least 10 percent of China's trade income comes from counterfeit goods, and not just handbags either. A lot of the cwap they fake is just plain dangerous and even fatal, and the bastards making it don't care who they poison or kill including their own people.

And they'll KEEP doing it because gullible/uneducated/lazy shoppers in the West think that someone's really going to give them something for nothing and that they can buy a thousand-dollar bag for 200 dollars because some site claims they buy wholesale from the manufacturer (who's apparently DELIGHTED to sell to fly-by-night Chinese websites so the sites can undercut their prices!). and because the buyers don't bother doing even a tiny bit of basic research. I'm always glad to see people here ASKING before they send money, but there are so many huge red flags on these selling sites that a few minutes' searching the site is all you need before alarms start to go off. You just have to learn what to look for. Any time a site conceals ANY kind of information, doesn't give a physical location, phone number or corporate-based Email (such as abc @COACH.COM and justs lists a Hotmail or Gmail addy) or its registration location when you Check WHOIS and scroll all the way down is listed as China, that's a sign to run like hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeenBurned
Hello,
Does anyone know if the 1990's #9058 Legacy Hobos had SOLID BRASS stamped on the back of their buckles?
I do not know how to post pictures of the two probable fakes I bought that are supposedly Legacy Hobos #9058, one in dark brown and one in black. But I found a picture of a red Legacy Hobo on page 720 of "Authenticate This Coach" here and my two look just like it. I understand there can be no real authentication without pictures of my bags and I'm not asking for that without being able to provide such, but is there a chance they could be real even if they have the stamps on the buckles? I have read that most stamped buckles are probably fake. Both have #9058 on creeds.
Thanks for any info.
PS. I do not intend to sell or give away the bags. The leather is good and I use them.

Last edited:
Hello,
Does anyone know if the 1990's #9058 Legacy Hobos had SOLID BRASS stamped on the back of their buckles?
I do not know how to post pictures of the two probable fakes I bought that were supposedly Legacy Hobos #9058, one in dark brown and one in black. But I found a picture of a red legacy hobo on page 720 of "authenticate this coach" and my two look just like it. I understand there can be no real authentication without pictures of my bags, but is there a chance they could be real even if they have the stamps on the buckles? I have read that most stamped buckles are probably fake.
Thanks for any info
PS. I do not intend to sell or give away the bags. The leather is good and i use them.
To post pictures, click on the "reply" button and at the bottom right of the reply box, there's an "upload a file" link to the right of "post reply." When you click on the upload box, you can search your computer for the pictures and insert them, either full size or thumbnail. Once the pics are inserted, click post reply.

ETA: A better place to post your pictures and question would be on the Authenticate This COACH thread:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-coach.889527/#post27792584

Hello,
I do not know how to post pictures of the two probable fakes I bought that are supposedly Legacy Hobos #9058, one in dark brown and one in black. But I found a picture of a red Legacy Hobo on page 720 of "Authenticate This Coach" here and my two look just like it. I understand there can be no real authentication without pictures of my bags and I'm not asking for that without being able to provide such, but is there a chance they could be real even if they have the stamps on the buckles? I have read that most stamped buckles are probably fake. Both have #9058 on creeds.
Thanks for any info.
PS. I do not intend to sell or give away the bags. The leather is good and I use them.

Your "Legacy Leather Hobos" style 9058 weren't even introduced until the Holiday 2000 catalog, so I doubt if either of them could be considered as from the late 1990s. What are the serial numbers in the bags? You need to practice and learn how to post photos here if you want to get the full benefits of the site, so take some time to read and practice.

If you can't post your own photos, what about links to the listings? Did anyone here authenticate those bags, and are the listings still available?

We've discussed those fake Solid Brass buckles before.
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-coach.855067/page-619#post-27674519
and
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-coach.889527/page-600#post-29111103
It's EXTREMELY unlikely that any of them would have appeared as late as 2000 (that was also confirmed privately by Coach's official Archivist.), but we need to see photos. There's one possible exception, but in general every "Solid Brass" buckle on bags newer than the early 1990s is a strong sign that the bag is likely fake. And if the serial number has a "late 1990s" date instead of a late 2000 date, that's another red flag. "Looking just like" an online picture doesn't prove anything.

Last edited:
When was the 'puffy' letter font phased out on creeds? Was it phased out at the same time on hangtags? As an example, the below hangtag came with a Winnie but I thought the puffy font was gone by then.
Am I mixed up or on the right track? I would appreciate thoughts!

IMG_1486042861.619606.jpg

I'll see about posting photos. I do have to try eventually and am determined. I had already decided they were probably fake after finding the stamps on the buckles I did not see until later. There are other things on one like stitching that gets very tiny and probably other things to the trained eye. But when I saw the picture of an authentic one I wondered..
I would think the boxy simple style would be very easy to fake! When I first looked at (discovered) Coach, I actually thought Coach was not enough of a designer bag to fake, especially old leather ones!
The serial numbers: B9C - 9058 ; J4D - 9058. It's been months since I bought. I am assuming they are 1990's by the numbers and had no idea when style was introduced. If I remember correctly, one seller called it a Legacy Hobo. If they weren't introduced until 2000's they are fake.
Thanks for facts/info/good opinions and I'll get to practicising, (I hate technical stuff).

Oh, both creeds made in the United States. They were not pricey, but yes, I was sick about it. As I say I use them anyway, right size/color. Leather.

Black one is:
Vintage Coach Legacy Hobo #9058 Black Leather Shoulder Bag Tote Satchel USA made
Seller : hiking-shaible (12519 )
eBay item number:302146101231
link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coach-Legacy-Hobo-9058-Black-Leather-Shoulder-Bag-Tote-Satchel-USA-made-/302146101231?nma=true&si=hmHixmxIuJ6FulS0ulB3DF%2Fx9xc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
item is still posted with photos on this link, J4D - 9058 serial
Cannot find brown bag order