2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!!

A long standing trading (9 years and counting!) is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them by color. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2023) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS

Feb. 11: Red (including burgundy)

Feb. 18: Orange & Yellow

Feb. 25: Purple & Pink

Mar. 3: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)

Mar. 10: Green

Mar. 17: Black

Mar. 24: Gray

Mar. 31: White & Cream

Apr. 7: Brown & Tan

Apr. 14: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)

Apr. 21: Jeweled and all other embellished

Apr. 28: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation

Pocket friends, thanks again for helping me talk through my bags. Just chatting over these past couple of days has already helped me better understand what I need to do for my collection.

First, I’m not as drawn to “classic” styling as I was and want more unique / fun / interesting / design more than I ever have. Second, no matter how much I may covet a bag, I won’t wear it if it’s not functional or I don’t feel “pretty” wearing it.

As I chew on that, here are two of my problem children. :frown:

Sparkle’s blue bags
Miss Dior Sliding Chain in Blu Persan lamb w/shw This is the last of the 3 colors I have in this bag. I would buy a 4th, 5th and 6th in other great colors because this bag just “works” for me.

Bvlgari small Logomania Bucket bag in Navy leather and fabric w/ghw
I bought this bag during the Covid lockdown for no other reason than it looked fun. This is a stock image. I’ll photograph my actual one later. I love this bag as I seem to have a thing for small buckets:giggle: but the fabric at top is faded from the original owner. I’d like to find a way to over dye (?) it to preserve the print but restore the color intensity. I also need to buy an aftermarket shoulder strap for it. If I can’t find a repair shop to do the dying, I’ll just sell or give it away. If I can solve those two problems this would become a favored bag just because it’s uncommon fun nowadays.

* Mini Gucci Dionysus in navy leather and gunmetal hw.
I love the look of this bag sooo much. That Dionysus hardware is chef’s kiss! 🤌😘 And the bag holds sentimental value as Mr. Sparkle bought this for me on our last trip to Maui prior to the fires. But, its a complete pain to fit my things. So, it’s first up to be sold and that’s going to kill me. :crybaby:But, I hate owning anything I don’t / can’t use.View attachment 5973146View attachment 5973147
View attachment 5973150
I wear a lot of black and struggle to style navy & blue bags. But deep blue (like the Gucci) is my second favorite color. I would be willing to buy more white / cream / grey clothing just to wear pretty navy bags!

* I don’t have any green bags but would be thrilled to have one in a deep emerald *
I am with you, as much as I love the look of some bags if they don’t work for me I don’t keep them. If I displayed bags as art I might feel differently, but I have pets so they are securely stored.

The door is so pretty and that Gucci is just so incredibly gorgeous! I tend to not reach for my navy bag as much either because I feel like I prefer a pop of red or burgundy if I'm wearing navy/denim/grey etc.
Thank you! And I adore the look of the navy Gucci so it’s killing me that it’s too small to be practical. But, I’ve started actively wearing the bags I think I need to sell to see if my perspective has changed and/or I can be creative to solve the problem. Wish me luck!
It is the Mulberry Antony View attachment 5973279
Ooooh! I like this one! It seems like a perfect bag for a day of errands. Is this goatskin? Does it easily hold your things?
I am with you, as much as I love the look of some bags if they don’t work for me I don’t keep them. If I displayed bags as art I might feel differently, but I have pets so they are securely stored.
That makes a lot of sense.

This is what keeps me from ever calling myself a handbag “collector” vs a handbag enthusiast. I have zero desire to own even the most beautiful of bags if I can’t / don’t want to wear it. I think collector level handbag hobbyists can and do buy bags for their beauty whether or not they’re used.

Yesterday, I got out of hibernating troll mode and went out on a Tuesday night. (Gasp!) I even got dressed in heels and a skirt :faint: I felt like pre-Covid Sparkle! LOL!

Ok. Let me be honest, Mr. Sparkle bought tickets and dragged me out of my house by my toenails! :lol:

Anyway, I held to my commitment to myself to wear each bag I’m considering selling 3x and then make a decision

First up is my Chanel New Medium Boy in light gold perforated lambskin w/ghw. I was shocked that I truly enjoyed carrying this bag. What changed? It was cold so along with wearing heeled boots, heavy tights and a sweater, I was wearing a coat. As I was getting in and out of the car, the shoulder strap kept slipping off so, I doubled up the strap/ chain and held the bag dangling from my hand. Bizarrely, this gave the bag and outfit a much more chic air. I don’t think I’ll wear it any other way now.

This really makes me happy because I didn’t want to sell it but have struggled to make this bag “work.” I’m going to give this the 2 additional promised tryout wears but I think this bag is getting new life in my collection. :tup:

Let me know if you have any styling suggestions: colors or styles that would complement it, how to carry it, etc. IMG_6441.jpeg

Sparkle’s black bags

I love blacks bag and have to force myself not to buy more. Here is my current set. The ones that I’m considering selling are marked with red question marks & the reason why:

• Chanel Black Caviar Jumbo Classic Single Flap w/shw
??? This bag bores me to tears. :doh:Plus jumbos feel dated. But, I don’t want that last reason to sway me as fashion runs in cycles and style is more important than trend.
• Jimmy Choo Raven in black nappa leather
??? I don’t like searching for items in a bag and this turns into a black hole
• Max Mara large Whitney Satchel
• YSL Black Small Monogram Cabas
• Louis Vuitton LockMe II BB in Noir leather
• YSL LouLou Camera Bag in black leather with black hardware (shockingly - the most used bag in my closet)
• Dior Ultra Black Diorama WOC
• Dior Panerea Tote in black coated canvas with black rubberized hardware
??? This tote is perfect except the handles are wearing quickly. I’m sending pics to handbag restoration companies to see if they have an option to solve for the issue.
IMG_6321.jpegIMG_6322.jpegIMG_6323.jpeg

Sparkle’s Grey Bags

• Chanel Medium Classic Flap in pearly grey lambskin and shw
I adore this bag!
IMG_6442.jpeg

• Chanel Jumbo Single Classic Flap in Dove grey lambskin and shw featuring the lovely bijoux chain.
IMG_6443.jpeg

Based on limited usage, I should probably sell this jumbo but never will. She is a work of classic Chanel art.

I’m all caught up with color weeks! :yahoo:

Sparkle’s black bags

I love blacks bag and have to force myself not to buy more. Here is my current set. The ones that I’m considering selling are marked with red question marks & the reason why:

• Chanel Black Caviar Jumbo Classic Single Flap w/shw
??? This bag bores me to tears. :doh:Plus jumbos feel dated. But, I don’t want that last reason to sway me as fashion runs in cycles and style is more important than trend.
• Jimmy Choo Raven in black nappa leather
??? I don’t like searching for items in a bag and this turns into a black hole
• Max Mara large Whitney Satchel
• YSL Black Small Monogram Cabas
• Louis Vuitton LockMe II BB in Noir leather
• YSL LouLou Camera Bag in black leather with black hardware (shockingly - the most used bag in my closet)
• Dior Ultra Black Diorama WOC
• Dior Panerea Tote in black coated canvas with black rubberized hardware
??? This tote is perfect except the handles are wearing quickly. I’m sending pics to handbag restoration companies to see if they have an option to solve for the issue.
View attachment 5973958View attachment 5973959View attachment 5973960
If you don't need all the space of the Jimmy Choo, can you stuff something in the bottom so all your stuff sits up closer to the top?

Reactions: Sparkletastic
If you don't need all the space of the Jimmy Choo, can you stuff something in the bottom so all your stuff sits up closer to the top?
I only use this bag when I need the space. I purchased a double pouch organizer that I use with it but I still find myself rummaging.

I honestly think this use case would be better served with a great tote. But as everyone who’s been on this thread for a few years knows, I am under a “will never find the perfect tote” curse.

I created a poll about the black Chanel jumbo. Feel free to take a peek and help me out with your opinion.

Reactions: limom
Thank you! And I adore the look of the navy Gucci so it’s killing me that it’s too small to be practical. But, I’ve started actively wearing the bags I think I need to sell to see if my perspective has changed and/or I can be creative to solve the problem. Wish me luck!

Ooooh! I like this one! It seems like a perfect bag for a day of errands. Is this goatskin? Does it easily hold your things?

That makes a lot of sense.

This is what keeps me from ever calling myself a handbag “collector” vs a handbag enthusiast. I have zero desire to own even the most beautiful of bags if I can’t / don’t want to wear it. I think collector level handbag hobbyists can and do buy bags for their beauty whether or not they’re used.
It depends on which color and leather you choose for it. I can easily fit all my stuff in Antony, probably could have gone down to the small size, but this one looks better with my coat.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
we’re getting to the end of the first quarter of 2024. I’ll probably have stats early because, well, Easter and I missed February.

So goal wise for the year: I was going to work on Italian (oops.) Finish projects. (I did finish a puzzle that had sat out for 15 months, and I have a shawl and a journal that are both within 10’hours of work. But then, it’s Easter so… both in April). Stop the bag churn, and eliminate 2024 items this year.

I’ve gone through my scarves, all of them, I was trying to sort them into keep and sell piles. Somehow, ended up with “Wear all the time” “collectibles that I adore that I would cry if anything happened to them”, “Yes, I’m keeping these too” and “Sell or gift”. The same thing happened with Crystal and linens, where I had three piles, one of which was called “if I haven’t used this by my 50th birthday, I’ll donate or consign it all” pile. But the bad part on the scarves is that some of them, I know are inflattering. There’s an 80s Gucci and a Tiffany Window scarf that have this medium cafe au lait brown that makes me look like a corpse as their primary color. But I won’t make much from selling them, and I don’t have anyone to gift them to, and so they continue to sit in my drawer making me feel like I didn’t do enough. At the same time, it’s easier to reduce more later, than to replace the same scarf later if I do too much.

My cousin came and picked up 7 travel bags, suitcases and duffle bags and backpacks. I’ve also managed to shred 30 lbs of paper, and have looked at, touched and eliminated significantly from the kitchen and dining areas, as well as the linen closet and medicine cabinets. The Knight had a set of knives, cast iron and stainless steel pots and pans, flatware and most small utensils so he can set up his kitchen. Which, means I’m storing things for the next 4+ years, but at least I can box them up? I still need to work on my very nice sized box collection.

More importantly, I need to figure out where to get rid of crystal and other household goods. I had a really bad experience with Replacements, and VintageMama has decided that the local consignment shop is evil. And VintageMama’s nephew’s wife said that she was decluttering when we offered to have her come through and see if she wanted to upgrade any of her vases, which now means that we can’t offer that family anything ever again. And that cousin had promised to take my oversized cooler, which means one more thing to figure out. Don’t you just love family?

Bag wise, my mother has gifted me one of her Hermes Cannes bag, and I bought a 90s era bamboo top handle as my Easter gift from the Easter Bunny to me.

February and March
Bags In: 2
Bags Out: 1
Accessories In: 2
Jewelry and Accessories Out: 4
Household: 1
Donations Out: 75
Pounds of shredding: 12
Total out: 92

Year to Date:
Bags Out: 6
Jewelry and Accessories Out: 8
Household out: 1
Donations Out: 142
Pounds of shredding: 30
Total out: 187 (goal 674)

March 2024 stats
bags in 3
bags out 3
SLGs in 1
SLGs out 1

YTD stats
bags in 3
bags out 4
SLGs in 1
SLGs out 4

We went to Las Vegas and all restraint went out the window. I bought 3 bags and a card case. The bags are my first Ferragamo, Dooney & Bourke and Hammitt, a brand I've never tried before but always admired. The card case is Ferragamo.
Here are pictures of the bags. I haven't taken a picture of the card case yet but it is a pretty blue in smooth leather.ferragamo 20240317_112959.jpgdooney bourke red 20240312_122720.jpghammitt 20240314_115808.jpg

When we got home from the trip, I pulled out several bags to sell. A couple sold immediately but one of them is lost in the mail so if it isn't found very soon, I'll be losing money on it. It isn't looking promising. I only have $100 worth of insurance on it, the amount USPS automatically gives you.

Late contribution to colour black week - my Marc Jacobs Stams!View attachment 5974738

View attachment 5974739
These are such yummy bags! Your pics made me Google to see if I need one for fun! Are these OG stams or some of the newer issues.
we’re getting to the end of the first quarter of 2024. I’ll probably have stats early because, well, Easter and I missed February.

So goal wise for the year: I was going to work on Italian (oops.) Finish projects. (I did finish a puzzle that had sat out for 15 months, and I have a shawl and a journal that are both within 10’hours of work. But then, it’s Easter so… both in April). Stop the bag churn, and eliminate 2024 items this year.

I’ve gone through my scarves, all of them, I was trying to sort them into keep and sell piles. Somehow, ended up with “Wear all the time” “collectibles that I adore that I would cry if anything happened to them”, “Yes, I’m keeping these too” and “Sell or gift”. The same thing happened with Crystal and linens, where I had three piles, one of which was called “if I haven’t used this by my 50th birthday, I’ll donate or consign it all” pile. But the bad part on the scarves is that some of them, I know are inflattering. There’s an 80s Gucci and a Tiffany Window scarf that have this medium cafe au lait brown that makes me look like a corpse as their primary color. But I won’t make much from selling them, and I don’t have anyone to gift them to, and so they continue to sit in my drawer making me feel like I didn’t do enough. At the same time, it’s easier to reduce more later, than to replace the same scarf later if I do too much.

My cousin came and picked up 7 travel bags, suitcases and duffle bags and backpacks. I’ve also managed to shred 30 lbs of paper, and have looked at, touched and eliminated significantly from the kitchen and dining areas, as well as the linen closet and medicine cabinets. The Knight had a set of knives, cast iron and stainless steel pots and pans, flatware and most small utensils so he can set up his kitchen. Which, means I’m storing things for the next 4+ years, but at least I can box them up? I still need to work on my very nice sized box collection.

More importantly, I need to figure out where to get rid of crystal and other household goods. I had a really bad experience with Replacements, and VintageMama has decided that the local consignment shop is evil. And VintageMama’s nephew’s wife said that she was decluttering when we offered to have her come through and see if she wanted to upgrade any of her vases, which now means that we can’t offer that family anything ever again. And that cousin had promised to take my oversized cooler, which means one more thing to figure out. Don’t you just love family?

Bag wise, my mother has gifted me one of her Hermes Cannes bag, and I bought a 90s era bamboo top handle as my Easter gift from the Easter Bunny to me.

February and March
Bags Out: 1
Jewelry and Accessories Out: 4
Household: 1
Donations Out: 75
Pounds of shredding: 12
Total out: 92

Year to Date:
Bags Out: 6
Jewelry and Accessories Out: 8
Household out: 1
Donations Out: 142
Pounds of shredding: 30
Total out: 187 (goal 674)
You’ve had a busy time but still have gotten a lot done. Congrats!
March 2024 stats
bags in 3
bags out 3
SLGs in 1
SLGs out 1

YTD stats
bags in 3
bags out 4
SLGs in 1
SLGs out 4

We went to Las Vegas and all restraint went out the window. I bought 3 bags and a card case. The bags are my first Ferragamo, Dooney & Bourke and Hammitt, a brand I've never tried before but always admired. The card case is Ferragamo.
Here are pictures of the bags. I haven't taken a picture of the card case yet but it is a pretty blue in smooth leather.View attachment 5975643View attachment 5975644View attachment 5975645

When we got home from the trip, I pulled out several bags to sell. A couple sold immediately but one of them is lost in the mail so if it isn't found very soon, I'll be losing money on it. It isn't looking promising. I only have $100 worth of insurance on it, the amount USPS automatically gives you.
I really hope they find the bag. I know that has to be super frustrating for you. :frown:

But, I’m happy for you on the 3 bags you’ve gotten in! I haven’t heard of Hammitt either. How did you find out about them?

Last edited:
These are such yummy bags! Your pics made me Google to see if I need one for fun! Are these OG stams or some of the newer issues.

You’ve had a busy time but still have gotten a lot of done. Congrats!

I really hope they find the bag. I know that has to be super frustrating for you. :frown:

But, I’m happy for you on the 3 bags you’ve gotten in! I haven’t heard of Hammitt either. How did you find out about them?
They carry Hammitt bags at Dillards and every time I was in the store, I would look at them but never saw a style and colorway I really liked until now. They are made in Los Angeles. The leather is really nice and they aren't expensive. I'm happy with the bag I got.

My husband likes the Dooney & Bourke the best and thinks the Ferragamo looks cheap even though it was the most expensive of the three.