2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!!

A long standing trading (9 years and counting!) is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them by color. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2023) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS

Feb. 11: Red (including burgundy)

Feb. 18: Orange & Yellow

Feb. 25: Purple & Pink

Mar. 3: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)

Mar. 10: Green

Mar. 17: Black

Mar. 24: Gray

Mar. 31: White & Cream

Apr. 7: Brown & Tan

Apr. 14: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)

Apr. 21: Jeweled and all other embellished

Apr. 28: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation

Vintage Leather

Bag Lady
O.G.
Jan 30, 2007
Welcome to 2024!

How did we get here? Wasn’t it Halloween just last week? :think:

New Year, new Thread! Welcome to the Resolution threads, where we support each other with differing goals and objectives, but with a foundation of loving the closet that we have.

We encourage you to look into the heart of the dark recesses of your wardrobes, lofts, attics and take the time editing, curating, refining, redefining or updating the bag and accessories wardrobes.

This is not a minimalism or ban thread! There are other threads that focus around bans and minimalist bag collections, so if those objectives for 2024 are far closer to your resolution(s) please look downstream, or create your own thread.

Please feel free to share your goals for 2024! We love supporting each other in goals.

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!!

A long standing trading (9 years and counting!) is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them by color. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2023) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS

Feb. 11: Red (including burgundy)

Feb. 18: Orange & Yellow

Feb. 25: Purple & Pink

Mar. 3: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)

Mar. 10: Green

Mar. 17: Black

Mar. 24: Gray

Mar. 31: White & Cream

Apr. 7: Brown & Tan

Apr. 14: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)

Apr. 21: Jeweled and all other embellished

Apr. 28: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation.

I’ll drop my own goals in later, but welcome! This is a great year to have your best and most wearable wardrobe!

Last edited:
Ooops I missed the 2024 goal part and put it in the 2023 thread along with my 2023 year summary. :P

2024 goals
  • really wanting a shoulder bag. I have been really enjoying shoulder bags in 2023 as I find them to be hands free but also secure. But nothing satisfies my qualifications currently. May have to wait till 2025?
  • I have also been eyeing a couple of crossbody Boston bags. My YSL bag is my go-to errand bag (since 2017) but I would like another crossbody bag to switch off with it and give it a bit of a break. It is really starting to show its wear now. Also the Boston bags look so roomy and cute!
  • Will be allocating more funds to fine jewelry and RTW, so bags will have to take a back seat. I plan to purchase at most 1 bag in 2024.
Other thoughts: As price increases continue, I have become even more picky with my purchases and wishlist items for higher priced items. All I can say is that I am glad I got most of my bags and fine jewelry earlier on and that I’m pretty happy with what I have so far.

We had some needed construction done on our house due to a floo situation. The majority of my wardrobe, shoes and all but 3 bags were in storage for 2 months. When I was able to bring everything back to my closet it was like Christmas and seeing all of my old friends again. I’m so excited just to have access to my clothes and bags that in 2024 I’ve told myself to wear, use and enjoy what I have.

Over the years, I went from buying bags I thought were pretty but not always functional, to buying higher end bags for a life I did not lead. Last year I got rid of a lot of higher end bags I wasn't using and bought more fun/functional bags. This year I want to continue to keep my bags in the allotted amount of space without squeezing any bags. I still have a bit of room for a couple of bags, but I like to see some open space. I also want to stay in budget. My goals are pretty much the same as last year. If I have some fun buying new things, then some older ones need to go. I also want to build my wardrobe to work better with some of my bags.

And now for 2024 goals. I’m going to start with my 2023 goals and edit based on progress I made last year, changes in needs/interests, etc. I am still not a formal resolutions person because I never tend to stick to them, but I continue to embrace the notion of goals for the year.

(1) Continue to rotate my totes and other bags more often. That tray in my closet where I keep a couple of bags at the ready has really helped in this regard. My new goal is to swap those out more often so I rotate my bags even more.

(2) Continue to downsize my collection. I still have too many bags, SLGs, bag charms, shoes, scarves, etc., many that don’t get much use. This might depend on the resale market, since that seems to be softening, as @880 so rightly predicted in several posts around tPF (good for buyers, bad for sellers). This downsizing should include those “bags that don’t count”, but we’ll see if I can manage that since I failed so miserably on this goal in 2023.

(3) Continue to redefine my current style. I felt going into last year like it would be a transitional one - and it was. As much as I would like to purchase for my dream lifestyle, I plan to embrace reality and purchase for my actual lifestyle. That means more elevated/tailored athletic wear with a few nicer pieces mixed in for times when I need to dress better (such as cruises). That also means continuing to purge items I don’t see myself wearing. This was hard for me last year, but I did it and would now like to do more of it. I would also like to add another pair of designer sneakers, such as the all-white Gucci I have been eying for a few years.

(4) Continue to purge the house with an eye toward retirement. Even if we stay in this house, we really don’t need/use all the things we currently have and I am so over cleaning them!

(5) Continue to upgrade my jewelry. I want to add a gold bead bracelet to my collection, something that blends well with other gold pieces I have for stacking purposes. I also want to look into a home jewelry safe, one I can keep in our room that’s easy to use. We have a large safe in our basement where we keep passports and other important documents, but that’s too inconvenient (and complicated) for everyday use.

Happy New Year everybody!

I had a nice NYE dancing the old year out and the new year in with DH and my Gucci Aphrodite. I hope you had a similarly wonderful evening.

I have enough of every kind of bag for practicality or admirability sake. If I fall in love with a bag this year, it has to be something very special or something for everyday - nothing in between.

2023 I bought 0 bags, rotated much more than previous years (Covid lockdown wilderness years) and brought out some real blasts from the past.

Bag resolutions for '24 - same ol as per usual, but good to write them for resolve:
1. Carry on not buying any bags - unless something is out of this world beautiful or is a hardy cross-body.
2. Enjoying bags I have already and rotating regularly.
3. Rediscovering past loves from my closet or passing them on to a more deserving user.

Thank you @Vintage Leather for starting the year off right for us!

I am feeling too full of purses right now and so one of my goals is to let some back into the wild. I have tried to talk myself into keeping them because they are beautiful and/or hard to find... but I have to make myself carry them and that's not good.

I have so many scarves, time to let some go. Even a few moussies :shocked: . The psychic toll/weight (guilt for not wearing some, yet I keep buying new season) isn't worth it and I could use the room both in my closet and in my brain.

Goal #1 - sell at least 3 bags, and only buy what I really need or love.
Goal #2 - sell some scarves, and if they don't sell? Well - I'm going to donate them. Someone will benefit from them.
Goal #3 - start painting again. I started cleaning my 'studio' over the holiday weekend in preparation. I have an idea percolating.
Goal #4 - keep the purge going. I still need to finish the basement, and I have too much stuff.

Hello! I duck in and out of tPF depending on how stressful work and life have gotten. Here are my goals for 2024:

1. Continue the ban I started a few years ago on buying bags at thrift stores.

2. I would like to get more selective with the clothes I buy at thrift stores, also. In the size I am currently wearing, I am finding myself buying clothes if the fit and cut are right, even if the color and/or print range from "just not me" to "hideous." No more. Everything must be right or I will not buy it. My body deserves that at every size.

3. I have started a rudimentary bag usage record. I will keep this record current, and use it to remind myself to carry bags I don't habitually reach for.

Thank you @Vintage Leather for kicking off the 2024 thread.

2023 was another unintentional no buy year (also achieved in 2020) - bags, SLGs and scarves.

2024 Goals/Habits
  • Edit my belongings to what I love, use and find beautiful
  • Wear and enjoy what I have
  • Enjoy a wardrobe that supports my real lifestyle vs. imaginary lifestyle, wear my favourite items frequently, try new things, learn from my mistakes, be curious and grow, have fun
Happy New Year! Looking forward to all the fun conversations and pictures! :hugs: :love: :loveeyes:

Hi everyone & happy new Year :wave:! I would love to participate this year as well. I think this thread might help me to focus on my "bag-goals" which are:

(1) Downsizing my bag collection. Getting rid of the bags that I do not use. I have too many bags that I hardly ever use because I bought them for fantasy occasions that never happen.
(2) Enjoying the bags that I have and rotating them a lot more
(3) Buy a maximum of 3 new bags in 2024 (not included the one I am still waiting for that has been ordered in 2023 :rolleyes:).
My biggest wish for 2024 is a LOEWE Puzzle bag :loveeyes: .