2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!!

A long standing trading (9 years and counting!) is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them by color. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2023) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS

Feb. 11: Red (including burgundy)

Feb. 18: Orange & Yellow

Feb. 25: Purple & Pink

Mar. 3: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)

Mar. 10: Green

Mar. 17: Black

Mar. 24: Gray

Mar. 31: White & Cream

Apr. 7: Brown & Tan

Apr. 14: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)

Apr. 21: Jeweled and all other embellished

Apr. 28: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation

You have a great collection and variety of black bags for every occasion :loveeyes: !

I think I have way too many black bags, but when I buy more classic pieces, I always choose black :shrugs: . You can never go wrong with black and black bags always look good and go with everything :tup:!

I don't have a lot of bags in my collection but in general, with my parents being hoarders, I'm usually okay with letting things go.

When I resold my bags that I bough pre-loved pre-pandemic, it was a little difficult to let go at first. They were some of the earliest bags I bought at a fantastic steal. (Back when the pre-loved market was 40-50% off in excellent condition) But in the end, because I no longer reached for them, I sold them and broke even or even made profit. Never regretted selling them.

Bags that I bought right before the pandemic or during the pandemic at full price were a little harder to let go. Mostly because I knew they would be a loss. I really also disliked selling a bag that was bought relatively recently (within 1-2 years of purchasing), because that meant I made kind of a bad decision or didn't think thoroughly enough. But also did not regret selling them when they were gone.

Now I'm over selling and would rather give away than sell. Even when places like TRR handle most things for me, the amount I get back can be pretty terrible. After 2022, I decided that I would no longer sell my bags. I will try my best to make thoughtful purchases (praying lol) so I don't end up not liking or not using a bag. And if I fell out of love with a bag, I would give it away.
I always thing that it’s interesting that we consider resale on handbags. Other than a house or car, I never think of resale. But, for bags, I do. I guess it’s how we bag lovers have developed the hobby(??)

In any case, I’m glad you culled what didn’t work for you.

I am not worried about resale for the bags I need to get rid of. I just despise the hassle. I used to never worry about scammers. Now they’re a meaningful problem. I always have sold on my own but may just ship these all off to have it done. I don’t know yet.
I have to vent/cry a little today:
Last week I got weak and bought a really beautiful Loewe compact Hammock bag for an incredibly good price (almost 40% off). The bag arrived and it was in great condition and I really loved the look of it. So I tried it on and for some reason I did not find a comfortable way for me to wear it :frown: .

I love how versatile and creative this bag is, but still in whichever way I styled it, it was either too small for my items, too open to walk with it in crowded areas, too uncomfortable to wear crossbody (strap too short) or too small for my hands for handcarrying it. And I also don't like to carry it on my shoulder as the strap does slip off. Uggggh :blah:! I am not a big/tall person, but this bag seems to be made for very petite women. This caused a lot of frustration on my part. I so wanted this bag to work for me! I feel like this is an amazing bag for instagram photos (I don't do instagram), but it is NOT a very practical bag at all!!!

I was disappointed. Yet still for the past 2 days I argued with myself whether to keep it (because it is so pretty and I love Loewe leather and the color, and the feel of it and the great price etc. etc.). I had 2 sleepless nights even with anxiety attacks because I actually wanted to downsize my collection but yet got another bag that was even with 40% off still very expensive and I actually should use the money for other more useful things....:panic:

So this morning with a heavy heart I decided to send it back, because it was the sensible decision and I don't want any more sleepless nights thinking about it. So I packed it up and brought it to the post office. Now I feel relieved somehow but also sad that I had to let it go.:crybaby:

How awful is it that such an item does that with me? I really need to learn from this experience and shift my focus on to more important things and stick to my goal of downsizing. :facepalm:
Don’t beat yourself up for having a feeling. Handbags are a hobby that can give joy so it makes sense they can also drive a bit of consternation.
I feel I've been moving towards losing 80% of my interest in handbags for the last couple years - then boom, I fall in love with some new bags! I still feel that way but we just went to Las Vegas where I bought 3 bags in 2 days. When we came home, I pulled out about 10 bags to sell, listed about 7 of them, waffled on the others, and sold 2 right away. I still struggle to sell bags I'm going to take a big loss on. The two that sold were bags I knew I would make a profit on.

Part of my motivation is to get rid of the more expensive items before next year when I'll have to report the sales on my taxes. I'm spreading my sales around different sites so I don't reach the maximum but next year, with the $600 limit, one or two items will put me over the limit. I'm wondering if I should get rid of my collectible items before then even though I still really love them.
I may have miscommunicated. I will always love having a beautiful bag to carry and I could happily buy another bag or two or three if they appeal.

My shifts are just that I have zero interest in collecting or following any trend. I no longer feel that any bag is a must have for my collection (black Chanel jumbo - I’m looking at you) and I’m freeing myself to enjoy my only true material love (jewelry) and more heavily prioritize my other loves - travel, being active, outdoors activities, dance, etc.

And, I totally forgot about the tax implications. But, I usually sell for just about what I purchased a bag for. Thanks for the reminder if that changes. :-s

—///-///

I looked at the navy Dionysus a size up from my mini. <Sigh.>It doesn’t move me. I reeaaally love that hardware but need to find it on a bag that works for me. In the interim, I plan to list mine this week. Such a pretty bag and I’ve worn it maybe 3 times. Ugh!

I am so out of the game. I just saw that Chanel increased prices again???? :lol: I’m lucky to have gotten most of mine preloved from earlier, higher quality years. I really feel for people buying the current bags at these prices with the quality that Chanel is throwing out. But, what is a person to do when they want the bag? I guess they’re stuck. Maybe it will work out that someone will get a good buy from one of mine when I list them.

And, Hermes is getting sued for their cockamamie sales practices? I’m thrilled for this. I never could understand how people put up with a store making you buy junk you don’t really want on the off chance you can be offered the handbag you do.

Any other recent brand level scuttlebutt that I need to know? :search: I’m here for all the tea! LOL!

I always thing that it’s interesting that we consider resale on handbags. Other than a house or car, I never think of resale. But, for bags, I do. I guess it’s how we bag lovers have developed the hobby(??)

In any case, I’m glad you culled what didn’t work for you.

I am not worried about resale for the bags I need to get rid of. I just despise the hassle. I used to never worry about scammers. Now they’re a meaningful problem. I always have sold on my own but may just ship these all off to have it done. I don’t know yet.

Don’t beat yourself up for having a feeling. Handbags are a hobby that can give joy so it makes sense they can also drive a bit of consternation.
I saw someone say that handbags are “crypto for fashionistas”. It’s a highly volatile asset that clearly belongs to one person, and is primarily valuable to other enthusiasts.

And, well, when I look back on my spending in the last ten years or so, the things I’ve spend more than four figures on are furniture, jewelry, travel, a house and yes, handbags.

Jewelry and real estate have an intrinsic value that is easy to calculate, and furniture resale is limited and a pita but I bought it knowing that. It’s handbags that are tricky and feel like they should be resellable and the resale market is high and there are venues, but we aren’t in France or Japan. It’s hard to trust many US venues, because there is no consequences for fraud. And in the end it gets annoying, and I wonder why I’m buying in the first place.

And maybe I’ll stop after one more bag…

Last edited:
I feel I've been moving towards losing 80% of my interest in handbags for the last couple years - then boom, I fall in love with some new bags! I still feel that way but we just went to Las Vegas where I bought 3 bags in 2 days. When we came home, I pulled out about 10 bags to sell, listed about 7 of them, waffled on the others, and sold 2 right away. I still struggle to sell bags I'm going to take a big loss on. The two that sold were bags I knew I would make a profit on.

Part of my motivation is to get rid of the more expensive items before next year when I'll have to report the sales on my taxes. I'm spreading my sales around different sites so I don't reach the maximum but next year, with the $600 limit, one or two items will put me over the limit. I'm wondering if I should get rid of my collectible items before then even though I still really love them.

This year it's supposedly $5,000, is that right?

Reactions: whateve
Little has changed since I posted my bags in 2022. I’d like to share now to get your feedback on what I should sell / keep / add. Please be fearlessly blunt in your comments. I truly value input as it keeps me from getting lost in the echo chamber of my mind.

Sparkle’s red bags
Chanel red lamb DF jumbo w/shw
I love this bag but never wear it. I don’t want to sell so I need to get her back into the rotation. Are jumbos off trend now? They feel a bit “much” to me and have always been a little big on my frame. Hmmmm…

•Trussardi red w/red hw
I love and wear this bag a lot. I would adore another bag with colored hardware.

IMG_6324.jpegIMG_6325.jpeg
Sparkle’s yellow bag
Miss Dior sliding chain with gold hw
I will own this bag forever. It’s the perfect size and just screams happy! I just have to be more creative in making outfits for it though.
IMG_6326.jpeg

Sparkle’s Pink Bags
I adore pink everything!!! I even convinced Mr. Sparkle to agree with me decorating our home gym in a sparkly pink & silver Hello Kitty theme. :lol: So, all of these bags are dearly loved and safe from being sold. I could absolutely see myself buying more pink bags in future IMG_6331.jpeg
Prada Small Double Zip Tote
This is the bag in my collection that I’ve owned the longest. She goes no where! LOL! I lucked out as many have had quality issues with this bag. Mine looks pristine after 15 years of ownership. I really wish I’d kept my red one. :crybaby:
Jimmy Choo Pink Satin Bon Bon
This is a stock photo bc I’m too lazy to photograph her right now. I have yet to wear this bag but I got it resale at such an insanely good price that I’m happy to wait on her moment.
Fendi Mon Tresor w/ rose gold pearls and hw
I LOVE and wear this bag. She was an excellent purchase.
Miss Dior Sliding Chain in pink lambskin w/shw.
Again, I loooove the Miss Dior Sliding Chain bags. This is 2 of 3. And having this in pink is heaven. I’m so glad I went against conventional tPF wisdom and got this instead of a pink Chanel CF.

I love the shaped and scale of these bags. That needs to inform my future purchases. Large and boxy just looks odd on me I think.

* I despise the color purple. So I have no purple bags. *

This year it's supposedly $5,000, is that right?
Yes, but I recently found out you can report your sales on schedule D, which means they count as capital gains/losses, not income as long as you've owned them at least a year. Now that I know that, I'm not worried about selling next year and beyond. I have a lot of capital loss carryovers so I'll never pay any taxes on my sales.This is a huge shift for the IRS because in the past you couldn't count most household items as capital, just jewelry, furniture, cars and collectibles. Purses didn't qualify as collectibles. I just hope they don't change it again.

Sparkle’s Pink Bags
I adore pink everything!!! I even convinced Mr. Sparkle to agree with me decorating our home gym in a sparkly pink & silver Hello Kitty theme. :lol: So, all of these bags are dearly loved and safe from being sold. I could absolutely see myself buying more pink bags in future View attachment 5972231
This is the bag in my collection that I’ve owned the longest. She goes no where! LOL! I lucked out as many have had quality issues with this bag. Mine looks pristine after 15 years of ownership. I really wish I’d kept my red one. :crybaby:
This is a stock photo bc I’m too lazy to photograph her right now. I have yet to wear this bag but I got it resale at such an insanely good price that I’m happy to wait on her moment.
Again, I loooove the Miss Dior Sliding Chain bags. This is 2 of 3. And having this in pink is heaven. I’m so glad I went against conventional tPF wisdom and got this instead of a pink Chanel CF.

I love the shaped and scale of these bags. That needs to inform my future purchases. Large and boxy just looks odd on me I think.

It's okay you don't like purple bags. That leaves more for @JenJBS and me!

Sparkle’s Pink Bags
I adore pink everything!!! I even convinced Mr. Sparkle to agree with me decorating our home gym in a sparkly pink & silver Hello Kitty theme. :lol: So, all of these bags are dearly loved and safe from being sold. I could absolutely see myself buying more pink bags in future View attachment 5972231

I love the Dior pink! It's so much prettier than the Chanel.