2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!!

A long standing trading (9 years and counting!) is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them by color. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2023) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS

Feb. 11: Red (including burgundy)

Feb. 18: Orange & Yellow

Feb. 25: Purple & Pink

Mar. 3: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)

Mar. 10: Green

Mar. 17: Black

Mar. 24: Gray

Mar. 31: White & Cream

Apr. 7: Brown & Tan

Apr. 14: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)

Apr. 21: Jeweled and all other embellished

Apr. 28: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation

Who knows! I know a lot of people love burgundy bags. I love to look at them but hate to carry them. This year I made a decision to get rid of all of mine.
Burgundy is a color I’d get a lot of use out of in a handbag. That’s probably what I should get to replace my navy Gucci or one of my lesser used black bags.

I sold a burgundy Gucci top handle stirrup and regret it every day even though it was really awkward to carry.

Reactions: whateve
Burgundy is a color I’d get a lot of use out of in a handbag. That’s probably what I should get to replace my navy Gucci or one of my lesser used black bags.

I sold a burgundy Gucci top handle stirrup and regret it every day even though it was really awkward to carry.
In theory, it should work for me, but I never reach for them. I'm more likely to reach for a happy color. If I need a conservative color, I've got plenty of black and brown, and those are easier to coordinate with my clothing.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Sparkle’s Pink Bags
I adore pink everything!!! I even convinced Mr. Sparkle to agree with me decorating our home gym in a sparkly pink & silver Hello Kitty theme. :lol: So, all of these bags are dearly loved and safe from being sold. I could absolutely see myself buying more pink bags in future View attachment 5972231
Prada Small Double Zip Tote
This is the bag in my collection that I’ve owned the longest. She goes no where! LOL! I lucked out as many have had quality issues with this bag. Mine looks pristine after 15 years of ownership. I really wish I’d kept my red one. :crybaby:
Jimmy Choo Pink Satin Bon Bon
This is a stock photo bc I’m too lazy to photograph her right now. I have yet to wear this bag but I got it resale at such an insanely good price that I’m happy to wait on her moment.
Fendi Mon Tresor w/ rose gold pearls and hw
I LOVE and wear this bag. She was an excellent purchase.
Miss Dior Sliding Chain in pink lambskin w/shw.
Again, I loooove the Miss Dior Sliding Chain bags. This is 2 of 3. And having this in pink is heaven. I’m so glad I went against conventional tPF wisdom and got this instead of a pink Chanel CF.

I love the shaped and scale of these bags. That needs to inform my future purchases. Large and boxy just looks odd on me I think.

* I despise the color purple. So I have no purple bags. *

Dumb question, as I don’t own either of these bags: what makes the Chanel jumbo large and boxy and the Miss Dior not? I think they’re both gorgeous but have similar shapes to my eyes.

Little has changed since I posted my bags in 2022. I’d like to share now to get your feedback on what I should sell / keep / add. Please be fearlessly blunt in your comments. I truly value input as it keeps me from getting lost in the echo chamber of my mind.

Sparkle’s red bags
Chanel red lamb DF jumbo w/shw
I love this bag but never wear it. I don’t want to sell so I need to get her back into the rotation. Are jumbos off trend now? They feel a bit “much” to me and have always been a little big on my frame. Hmmmm…

•Trussardi red w/red hw
I love and wear this bag a lot. I would adore another bag with colored hardware.

View attachment 5972224View attachment 5972227
Sparkle’s yellow bag
Miss Dior sliding chain with gold hw
I will own this bag forever. It’s the perfect size and just screams happy! I just have to be more creative in making outfits for it though.
View attachment 5972230
Thank you for sharing your beautiful bags with us! I LOVE the red Chanel :loveeyes:. If I ever considered a Chanel bag (most probably not in this lifetime) it must be a red one!

But I agree that it must be awful for people who are really dreaming of a Chanel bag and see todays prices.
I am so glad I never started any interest in Chanel or Hermès bags. I can admit without regret that they are by far too expensive for my personal budget :shrugs: . But that is ok for me.

I love to look at other people's bags though :smile: .

Thank you for sharing your beautiful bags with us! I LOVE the red Chanel :loveeyes:. If I ever considered a Chanel bag (most probably not in this lifetime) it must be a red one!

But I agree that it must be awful for people who are really dreaming of a Chanel bag and see todays prices.
I am so glad I never started any interest in Chanel or Hermès bags. I can admit without regret that they are by far too expensive for my personal budget :shrugs: . But that is ok for me.

I have a vintage Chanel coin purse that has helped scratch the Chanel itch for me. At one time, I aspired to have a Chanel bag but that ship has sailed. I've sworn off super expensive bags unless I find them secondhand for a bargain.

Dumb question, as I don’t own either of these bags: what makes the Chanel jumbo large and boxy and the Miss Dior not? I think they’re both gorgeous but have similar shapes to my eyes.
There are no dumb questions in the Purse Forum! Everything I know about handbags I learned from people here because my mom is a very thrifty (er…cheap LOL!) person with zero interest in fashion.

The Chanel Jumbo classic double flap and the Miss Dior Sliding Chain do have similar shapes because they’re rectangular flap bags. The difference in how they look against the body is in the dimensions. (Note: these are “real world” dimensions meaning brands will usually measure at the seams but when I measure true depth it has to include added thickness for the flap and true length is bigger because of gusseting, etc.)

• Chanel: 7.25” H x 12.5” L x 5.5” D (498.4 sq. inches)
• Dior 7”H x 11”L x 4.75”D (365.75 sq. inches)

So the Chanel is 36% bigger in terms of total physical space. I’m 5’8” and a slim hourglass but, IMO, that difference still tips the Jumbo into being less flattering on me.

Here are some pictures for visual reference.
IMG_6376.jpegIMG_6377.jpegIMG_6375.jpeg
I do, however, still love my medium and rectangular mini Chanels because of their smaller sizes.

If I do sell a Jumbo or two, I won’t just trade them for the same color in a smaller size. It’ll be worth a pause to see what I really need (if anything) in my collection and buy that.

I really like seeing other people’s bags too! It pushes me out of my own biases which I think has been a good thing for my own personal style.

On Hermes. I have really tried to like the bags because I felt like I “should” like them. Well, thankfully that silly peer pressured perspective didn’t take root. I can be honest and just say the equestrian / whatever aesthetic just isn’t for me while still admiring them for their lovely craftsmanship and leathers. That being said, there are two Hermes models that are growing on me. I can’t recall the names but they aren’t the Kelly or Birkin. One is a flap and the other is a pouch(?) I never say never but I doubt I’ll add one to my collection.
I have a vintage Chanel coin purse that has helped scratch the Chanel itch for me. At one time, I aspired to have a Chanel bag but that ship has sailed. I've sworn off super expensive bags unless I find them secondhand for a bargain.
There is something that just makes me feel triumphant when I get a bargain! Even if it’s just on body wash. :lol: So, I know what you mean.

But, the purse market has changed a LOT since I started collecting 15 years ago. It’s much harder to find hidden deals and I’m very wary of getting a super fake. Plus, I’m just “over” having bags that everyone else has just to be on trend unless I truly adore it. With that, I’m strongly considering getting another vintage Bvlgari or Cartier bag. I’m also looking at bespoke bags and bags from ghost brands. Even if I do spend a meaningful amount on a bag, it would be so much more fun to rescue something like a rare vintage Gucci or Dior that people have forgotten. :smile:

Last edited:
There are no dumb questions in the Purse Forum! Everything I know about handbags I learned from people here because my mom is a very thrifty (er…cheap LOL!) person with zero interest in fashion.

The Chanel Jumbo classic double flap and the Miss Dior Sliding Chain do have similar shapes because they’re rectangular flap bags. The difference in how they look against the body is in the dimensions. (Note: these are “real world” dimensions meaning brands will usually measure at the seams but when I measure true depth it has to include added thickness for the flap and true length is bigger because of gusseting, etc.)

So the Chanel is 36% bigger in terms of total physical space. I’m 5’8” and a slim hourglass but, IMO, that difference still tips the Jumbo into being less flattering on me.

View attachment 5972649View attachment 5972650View attachment 5972651
I do, however, still love my medium and rectangular mini Chanels because of their smaller sizes.

If I do sell a Jumbo or two, I won’t just trade them for the same color in a smaller size. It’ll be worth a pause to see what I really need (if anything) in my collection and buy that.

I really like seeing other people’s bags too! It pushes me out of my own biases which I think has been a good thing for my own personal style.

On Hermes. I have really tried to like the bags because I felt like I “should” like them. Well, thankfully that silly peer pressured perspective didn’t take root. I can be honest and just say the equestrian / whatever aesthetic just isn’t for me while still admiring them for their lovely craftsmanship and leathers. That being said, there are two Hermes models that are growing on me. I can’t recall the names but they aren’t the Kelly or Birkin. One is a flap and the other is a pouch(?) I never say never but I doubt I’ll add one to my collection.

There is something that just makes me feel triumphant when I get a bargain! Even if it’s just on body wash. :lol: So, I know what you mean.

But, the purse market has changed a LOT since I started collecting 15 years ago. It’s much harder to find hidden deals and I’m very wary of getting a super fake. Plus, I’m just “over” having bags that everyone else has just to be on trend unless I truly adore it. With that, I’m strongly considering getting another vintage Bvlgari or Cartier bag. I’m also looking at bespoke bags and bags from ghost brands. Even if I do spend a meaningful amount on a bag, it would be so much more fun to rescue something like a rare vintage Gucci or Dior that people have forgotten. :smile:
Your Chanel bag is such a gorgeous color!

View attachment 5972649View attachment 5972650View attachment 5972651

Thank you for that detailed explanation and pictures! (I mean, I should have figured that “jumbo” wasn’t just marketing. :amuse: )

Interesting that in the side view the Dior looks deeper than the Chanel, despite the actual measurements.

Random hypothesis: the tapered top of the Dior helps make it look smaller when worn, as everyone is looking at it from eye level and it’s at hip level.

(I also hadn’t realized that the quilting was flat on the sides of both models. Probably helps with flexibility, but still unexpected!)

IIRC you also have a silver Diorama (that I adore) - do you have the same feeling of bulkiness with that?

I love how clean these look. What is the first one? Is it a skinny bag or does it have some depth?
I saw someone say that handbags are “crypto for fashionistas”. It’s a highly volatile asset that clearly belongs to one person, and is primarily valuable to other enthusiasts.

And, well, when I look back on my spending in the last ten years or so, the things I’ve spend more than four figures on are furniture, jewelry, travel, a house and yes, handbags.

Jewelry and real estate have an intrinsic value that is easy to calculate, and furniture resale is limited and a pita but I bought it knowing that. It’s handbags that are tricky and feel like they should be resellable and the resale market is high and there are venues, but we aren’t in France or Japan. It’s hard to trust many US venues, because there is no consequences for fraud. And in the end it gets annoying, and I wonder why I’m buying in the first place.

And maybe I’ll stop after one more bag…
“Crypto for fashionistas!” I love that. :lol: The part that’s most true is that we collectors keep an eagle eye on the market for what we want to buy and sell, and we are sensitized to even a whisper of changing values.

A small part of my consideration about selling my Chanel jumbos is whether or not the bags I have will continue to increase in price. Of late, there is a larger gap between pre-loved and new pricing than there has been in the past, which means that older bags aren’t keeping value as well as they have in the past. So I’m wondering if I need to “get out of market” in time to make my money back on the bags.
Your Chanel bag is such a gorgeous color!
Thank you! I originally had a red caviar 13c single flap jumbo. The color is the perfect red but I couldn’t get over the caviar feeling like cheap plastic. So I hunted down the same color in a lambskin. Unfortunately it’s double flap which I’ve always hated and never understood. But, it hasn’t really bothered me as much as I worried it might.
Thank you for that detailed explanation and pictures! (I mean, I should have figured that “jumbo” wasn’t just marketing. :amuse: )

Interesting that in the side view the Dior looks deeper than the Chanel, despite the actual measurements.

Random hypothesis: the tapered top of the Dior helps make it look smaller when worn, as everyone is looking at it from eye level and it’s at hip level.

(I also hadn’t realized that the quilting was flat on the sides of both models. Probably helps with flexibility, but still unexpected!)

IIRC you also have a silver Diorama (that I adore) - do you have the same feeling of bulkiness with that?
You’re welcome! And don’t feel that you should have known the sizing from the brand’s label. I mistakenly said my pink Prada was a small but it’s actually a mini. Yet, it’s as big as my Miss Dior. So, nothing between brands is standardized.

And yes. The Dior may appear deeper because it is! But the flaps on the Chanel are thicker and (of course) there are two of them. So the body of the Chanel actually is a teeny bit more shallow until you add the flaps.

Re: my silver Diorama. :hbeat: I STILL flipping love that bag!!! It has never felt bulky on me. Perhaps in part because its a tight rectangle - no pleating, gusseting, etc. I’ll have to measure it and share the dimensions with you.

Pocket friends, thanks again for helping me talk through my bags. Just chatting over these past couple of days has already helped me better understand what I need to do for my collection.

First, I’m not as drawn to “classic” styling as I was and want more unique / fun / interesting / design more than I ever have. Second, no matter how much I may covet a bag, I won’t wear it if it’s not functional or I don’t feel “pretty” wearing it.

As I chew on that, here are two of my problem children. :frown:

Sparkle’s blue bags
Miss Dior Sliding Chain in Blu Persan lamb w/shw This is the last of the 3 colors I have in this bag. I would buy a 4th, 5th and 6th in other great colors because this bag just “works” for me.

Bvlgari small Logomania Bucket bag in Navy leather and fabric w/ghw
I bought this bag during the Covid lockdown for no other reason than it looked fun. This is a stock image. I’ll photograph my actual one later. I love this bag as I seem to have a thing for small buckets:giggle: but the fabric at top is faded from the original owner. I’d like to find a way to over dye (?) it to preserve the print but restore the color intensity. I also need to buy an aftermarket shoulder strap for it. If I can’t find a repair shop to do the dying, I’ll just sell or give it away. If I can solve those two problems this would become a favored bag just because it’s uncommon fun nowadays.

* Mini Gucci Dionysus in navy leather and gunmetal hw.
I love the look of this bag sooo much. That Dionysus hardware is chef’s kiss! 🤌😘 And the bag holds sentimental value as Mr. Sparkle bought this for me on our last trip to Maui prior to the fires. But, its a complete pain to fit my things. So, it’s first up to be sold and that’s going to kill me. :crybaby:But, I hate owning anything I don’t / can’t use.IMG_6338.jpegIMG_6339.jpeg
IMG_6336.jpeg
I wear a lot of black and struggle to style navy & blue bags. But deep blue (like the Gucci) is my second favorite color. I would be willing to buy more white / cream / grey clothing just to wear pretty navy bags!

* I don’t have any green bags but would be thrilled to have one in a deep emerald *

Pocket friends, thanks again for helping me talk through my bags. Just chatting over these past couple of days has already helped me better understand what I need to do for my collection.

First, I’m not as drawn to “classic” styling as I was and want more unique / fun / interesting / design more than I ever have. Second, no matter how much I may covet a bag, I won’t wear it if it’s not functional or I don’t feel “pretty” wearing it.

As I chew on that, here are two of my problem children. :frown:

Sparkle’s blue bags
Miss Dior Sliding Chain in Blu Persan lamb w/shw This is the last of the 3 colors I have in this bag. I would buy a 4th, 5th and 6th in other great colors because this bag just “works” for me.

Bvlgari small Logomania Bucket bag in Navy leather and fabric w/ghw
I bought this bag during the Covid lockdown for no other reason than it looked fun. This is a stock image. I’ll photograph my actual one later. I love this bag as I seem to have a thing for small buckets:giggle: but the fabric at top is faded from the original owner. I’d like to find a way to over dye (?) it to preserve the print but restore the color intensity. I also need to buy an aftermarket shoulder strap for it. If I can’t find a repair shop to do the dying, I’ll just sell or give it away. If I can solve those two problems this would become a favored bag just because it’s uncommon fun nowadays.

* Mini Gucci Dionysus in navy leather and gunmetal hw.
I love the look of this bag sooo much. That Dionysus hardware is chef’s kiss! 🤌😘 And the bag holds sentimental value as Mr. Sparkle bought this for me on our last trip to Maui prior to the fires. But, its a complete pain to fit my things. So, it’s first up to be sold and that’s going to kill me. :crybaby:But, I hate owning anything I don’t / can’t use.View attachment 5973146View attachment 5973147
View attachment 5973150
I wear a lot of black and struggle to style navy & blue bags. But deep blue (like the Gucci) is my second favorite color. I would be willing to buy more white / cream / grey clothing just to wear pretty navy bags!

* I don’t have any green bags but would be thrilled to have one in a deep emerald *
The door is so pretty and that Gucci is just so incredibly gorgeous! I tend to not reach for my navy bag as much either because I feel like I prefer a pop of red or burgundy if I'm wearing navy/denim/grey etc.

• Love
I love how clean these look. What is the first one? Is it a skinny bag or does it have some depth?

“Crypto for fashionistas!” I love that. :lol: The part that’s most true is that we collectors keep an eagle eye on the market for what we want to buy and sell, and we are sensitized to even a whisper of changing values.

A small part of my consideration about selling my Chanel jumbos is whether or not the bags I have will continue to increase in price. Of late, there is a larger gap between pre-loved and new pricing than there has been in the past, which means that older bags aren’t keeping value as well as they have in the past. So I’m wondering if I need to “get out of market” in time to make my money back on the bags.

Thank you! I originally had a red caviar 13c single flap jumbo. The color is the perfect red but I couldn’t get over the caviar feeling like cheap plastic. So I hunted down the same color in a lambskin. Unfortunately it’s double flap which I’ve always hated and never understood. But, it hasn’t really bothered me as much as I worried it might.

You’re welcome! And don’t feel that you should have known the sizing from the brand’s label. I mistakenly said my pink Prada was a small but it’s actually a mini. Yet, it’s as big as my Miss Dior. So, nothing between brands is standardized.

And yes. The Dior may appear deeper because it is! But the flaps on the Chanel are thicker and (of course) there are two of them. So the body of the Chanel actually is a teeny bit more shallow until you add the flaps.

Re: my silver Diorama. :hbeat: I STILL flipping love that bag!!! It has never felt bulky on me. Perhaps in part because its a tight rectangle - no pleating, gusseting, etc. I’ll have to measure it and share the dimensions with you.
It is the Mulberry Antony IMG_9105.jpeg