Mansur Gavriel A funky smell to the new batch of calf MG bags

I just got my first MG in black tumbled leather and it smells really bad. I got it from a resale site (TRR-I think it's authentic but submitted it to the authenticate thread to be sure) and I don't know if I should return it because of the smell. It's def a "factory" smell and not a "living environment" smell. But it's STRONG and I'm wondering if this is why someone gave it up?

Anyone else with tumbled bucket have this problem? If so did you return or keep?

Thank you!

I've read here that the tumble smell fades as well. Perhaps try the tea leaf trick?

I just got my first MG in black tumbled leather and it smells really bad. I got it from a resale site (TRR-I think it's authentic but submitted it to the authenticate thread to be sure) and I don't know if I should return it because of the smell. It's def a "factory" smell and not a "living environment" smell. But it's STRONG and I'm wondering if this is why someone gave it up?

Anyone else with tumbled bucket have this problem? If so did you return or keep?

Thank you!

Airing it out for a few days was the best for fading the smell of my new tumbled bucket, you can add some bicarb in a bag inside it too. I personally didn't find tea leaves effective unfortunately

Airing it out for a few days was the best for fading the smell of my new tumbled bucket, you can add some bicarb in a bag inside it too. I personally didn't find tea leaves effective unfortunately

Thank you for this... has the smell faded considerably? I have had bags show up with smells before, but never to the point that I wanted to return because of it, which is my dilemma right now. If it will air out I will consider keeping. Call me crazy, but $600+ for a stinky bag just doesn't seem ok? On that note, can anyone tell me why the tumbled bucket, being so much simpler (i.e. no lining) than the veg tanned bucket, is so much more expensive? Sorry for the newbie questions. I could write a novel on Balenciaga but I'm just learning about MG. At this rate I'm sad to say that my purchases may begin and end with this bag.... :sad:

Have any of you checked out www.Linjer.co ? Their stuff looks gorgeous!! (also veg tanned) and they've got a kickstarter campaign for their current line with some great deals. Their stuff has gotten rave reviews from the media so I bought a soft tote because it reminded me of the MG aesthetic without the preposterous markup... it won't arrive 'til January and I can't wait.

Have any of you checked out www.Linjer.co ? Their stuff looks gorgeous!! (also veg tanned) and they've got a kickstarter campaign for their current line with some great deals. Their stuff has gotten rave reviews from the media so I bought a soft tote because it reminded me of the MG aesthetic without the preposterous markup... it won't arrive 'til January and I can't wait.
Yes someone from their company has already signed up and subtly advertised their site already. I had a look when they did but nothing appealed to me. Then I realised I fell for their advertising and quickly closed the browser.

If you don't like your bag return it, no use keeping something you won't use and can't warm to.

Yeah I know, I was really excited by the concept! My mini calf cross body arrived a few days ago (super gorgeous) and the calf smell is stronger and 'bleachier' than the tumbled smell. Need to start airing it out!

oooooohhhh stronger than the tumbled smell? man, that must be strong. good luck. I think I'll keep mine... (I haven't taken it out for a sniff today though, so....), I'm hoping that some of the tricks I've used for pre-loved stinkies will work. Fingers crossed... Thanks for the input!

Yes someone from their company has already signed up and subtly advertised their site already. I had a look when they did but nothing appealed to me. Then I realised I fell for their advertising and quickly closed the browser.

If you don't like your bag return it, no use keeping something you won't use and can't warm to.

It's not at all that I don't like the MG, to the contrary I love the minimalist styling. My conundrum is that I question paying $600+ for a bag that arrives smelling as if it was manufactured in a dung heap. Just doesn't seem like that should be the case. When did leather stop smelling like leather, especially from a company that supposedly prides itself on its natural / traditional tanning methods. Hell, for all I know it WAS tanned in manure... that's natural! LOL.

As far as Linjer is concerned, I'm not aware of their advertising. My husband found the brand on style forum and was keen on their briefcases. Knowing my fetish for such things he (perhaps stupidly) shared it with me and I think their stuff looks really beautiful-- similar minimal aesthetic as MG at a price point I don't mind risking a try. I also think it's cool they're using crowdfunding to fuel their production, which I would imagine will keep them accountable to the consumer. If their stuff sucks, then people won't keep backing them. I think that's kind of gutsy! To each his own though! :smile:

I wasn't saying you didn't like MG but it sounded like the smell made you dislike that particular bag in which case it would be silly to keep.

And re the other yes they advertised here the other day and usually even if I might have liked something that kind of thing makes me steer clear completely. But I genuinely wasn't drawn to them before I realised that. Didn't notice the crowd funding though, no wonder they're advertising where they can. Just seemed very coincidental timing since that was only the other day :smile: but as this is the MG forum... :smile:

Enjoy your bag if you decide to keep it.

I wasn't saying you didn't like MG but it sounded like the smell made you dislike that particular bag in which case it would be silly to keep.

And re the other yes they advertised here the other day and usually even if I might have liked something that kind of thing makes me steer clear completely. But I genuinely wasn't drawn to them before I realised that. Didn't notice the crowd funding though, no wonder they're advertising where they can. Just seemed very coincidental timing since that was only the other day :smile: but as this is the MG forum... :smile:

Enjoy your bag if you decide to keep it.

Apologies. Didn't realize it was poor form to mention another brand on the MG forum? Would it have been offensive if I mentioned LV? Or my love for Balenciaga? There may be others who are interested in emerging brands and I was excited about it. My excitement is considerably tempered, but my only intention was to share with those who might be similarly curious, not to raise the ire or suspicions of those who aren't. :smile:

Apologies. Didn't realize it was poor form to mention another brand on the MG forum? Would it have been offensive if I mentioned LV? Or my love for Balenciaga? There may be others who are interested in emerging brands and I was excited about it. My excitement is considerably tempered, but my only intention was to share with those who might be similarly curious, not to raise the ire or suspicions of those who aren't. :smile:

Hope we can all simmer down [emoji6] at any rate, as an avowed MG lover I was happy for the tangential mention of said other brand and got in on the last early bird rate for the tote. Curious to see what a veg tanned navy leather will look like! (Oh, and on another side note which perhaps has no place in this particular forum, but not sure where else to put it, when I got my confirmation email from linjer it asked about how I heard about them. I mentioned this forum but also about how the cloaked posts seemed shady. The owner was super apologetic and said he really regretted those posts and that his (female) co-owner/partner was not thrilled with him needless to say for having done so. So, lesson learned all around [emoji4])

Hope we can all simmer down [emoji6] at any rate, as an avowed MG lover I was happy for the tangential mention of said other brand and got in on the last early bird rate for the tote. Curious to see what a veg tanned navy leather will look like! (Oh, and on another side note which perhaps has no place in this particular forum, but not sure where else to put it, when I got my confirmation email from linjer it asked about how I heard about them. I mentioned this forum but also about how the cloaked posts seemed shady. The owner was super apologetic and said he really regretted those posts and that his (female) co-owner/partner was not thrilled with him needless to say for having done so. So, lesson learned all around [emoji4])

Lol. Thank you for the comedic relief Sark. Truly, I'm just a bananas leather goods lover who likes to scoop new stuff and get bragging rights if I was an early adopter! MG goods are so damn hard to get your hands on I thought some folks here might like a pretty (IMO) alternative at a non-threatening price point while the MG waiting lists work themselves out! I'm also a lover of risk takers and I do think it's cool that they're keeping themselves accountable by not taking on corporate investors. It's the first time I've ever taken part in a crowdfunding campaign and I got SUPER excited about it (obvi).

Anyway, I also don't mean to bag on MG (no pun intended), and I can see how that initial transition between a rant about MG and a rave about Linjer could have been construed as a product promo. Sadly I was SOOOOO excited (SO EXCITED) to get my first MG and when it came out of the box and sucker punched me with that smell it was like, Wah Wah WAAAAAH (game over sound). I have decided I'm going to persevere with this one though, I do love the drapey softness of the tumbled leather, which hearkens back to my love for the smooshy softness of my first love, Balenciaga.

I've watched the way the Linjer folks interact with their backers on Kickstarter and they seem like very cool people, I'm really glad that you mentioned that and that the response was as cool as I would think it would be, and not defensive or entitled. They do really seem to care and be genuinely grateful for the people willing to take a risk on them.

My take away from all this? I HAVE ROOM IN MY HEART TO LOVE MANY HANDBAGS! LOL. The old brands, and the new :smile:

oooooohhhh stronger than the tumbled smell? man, that must be strong. good luck. I think I'll keep mine... (I haven't taken it out for a sniff today though, so....), I'm hoping that some of the tricks I've used for pre-loved stinkies will work. Fingers crossed... Thanks for the input!

About the smell, I've also been doing all I can to air out my mini tumbled bucket. (I do love it enough to tolerate the smelliness though. The softness is just so yummy!) Basically taking it out as much as I can and when home, I put it in a large plastic airtight container with two clean socks filled with bicarbonate soda. (Found the method online) I think overall, it's better than when it first arrived.

Thank you for this... has the smell faded considerably? I have had bags show up with smells before, but never to the point that I wanted to return because of it, which is my dilemma right now. If it will air out I will consider keeping. Call me crazy, but $600+ for a stinky bag just doesn't seem ok? On that note, can anyone tell me why the tumbled bucket, being so much simpler (i.e. no lining) than the veg tanned bucket, is so much more expensive? Sorry for the newbie questions. I could write a novel on Balenciaga but I'm just learning about MG. At this rate I'm sad to say that my purchases may begin and end with this bag.... :sad:

Once you get your Linger bag, start a new thread in Bags, Bags, Bags and share it, or even start one now. I am sure others would have interest in a similar brand to Mansur Gavriel.