Is Coach considered a luxury brand?

Stand by what you love!

For awhile I neglected my Coach purses and they sat in the back of my closet because of the opinions towards Coach. Then, I let my LV monogram pieces gather some dust because of the opinions towards them. I soon came to realize that if I stopped using or wearing things just because people may look down at me for it than I would carry nothing at all.

So, now most of my Coach purses are back in regular rotation and I have even picked up a new one and plan on buying more because the price point doesn't make me feel guilty and the quality is there. Quality issues will always occur but Coach has had a good track record with me. I usually stick to quality leather pieces and those run a couple of hundred. If people don't consider dropping a couple of hundred dollars on something that is not a necessity of life a luxury than their view on life is a little screwed and they need to count their blessings. But, that's just my little humble opinion.

:goodpost:

I think it might also depend on where you are in the world. Here (in the UK) I get the feeling that Coach is considered or is positioning itself as more of a luxury brand than in the US - with store locations (Harrods, New Bond Street) and prices (about 1.5X that in the US - though admittedly part of that is VAT) to match. It's a similar story in Asia I believe.

Keep on loving your Coach bags. I will too and so will most of the Coach fans who come here daily.

Every once in a while, a particularly worded post will bring out the naysayers and after a few days, it's back to normal. lol

My opinion? Coach may not be a luxury brand but it is a well made bag and I don't need a Hermes to make me feel better. There are other things I like spending my disposable income on besides purses.

Jessdive...stay around. You'll be in good company.

I completely agree with your sentiments. For the price point, Coach has proven to me over and over they are worth it. I'd have yet to see a leather bag with a $5000 price tag prove to me it is worth it, other than the fact it has a premier, well known fashion house name. What it boils down to, IMO is exclusivity and hype.

To me it has nothing to do with the brand costing less. Coach, MK, Kate Spade & Tory burch are relatively in the same price range. And [emoji7]I still have Tory Burch and Kate Spade[emoji7] which was given to me by a relative years ago. She gave me all these 4 brands after she started buying Higher end brands. I gave away Coach & MK. Just don't like MK brand....not innovative IMO. Not because it's entry level) as u can see I kept the other 2 [emoji4]

I still buy totally cheap, non branded bags when I travel overseas. Some country have unique n very ethnic, colorful bags! If you buy more luxury brand in future, and decided u don't really like your Coach anymore...u can still use the bags u had for raining season, for beach, as diaper bag, traveling to country that u don't feel safe with your Chanel or Hermes!

We should buy n ENJOY whichever brand or design we like that better suits our current lifestyle n bank account.

Having said that, no one can deny the quality n craftsmanship of expensive brand like Hermes, it is superior than most brands. [emoji12] I always have to remind myself to be realistic!
I completely agree about the MK. Not to bash if anyone here likes it, but all I ever see are designs that were already used by higher end designers.

I consider it affordable luxury. I like waiting for the good stuff to hit the outlet sales. Teal borough bag, originally $658, I got for $199. If I were going to carry 1 bag year round for a few years, I would consider going with a premier designer but I like variety, sometimes I will sell the old to fund something new.
Back to the borough, I got several compliments on it at work (more for the shade of teal I believe) but although I considered it a great deal, I get the feeling most of my coworkers would think $200 for a bag was steep. I don't discuss prices with coworkers but have with friends and family in the past.

I think it might also depend on where you are in the world. Here (in the UK) I get the feeling that Coach is considered or is positioning itself as more of a luxury brand than in the US - with store locations (Harrods, New Bond Street) and prices (about 1.5X that in the US - though admittedly part of that is VAT) to match. It's a similar story in Asia I believe.

True, i noticed today while looking up my stores #.. there are less than 40 stores including boutique and factory in my entire country.

I consider it affordable luxury. I like waiting for the good stuff to hit the outlet sales. Teal borough bag, originally $658, I got for $199. If I were going to carry 1 bag year round for a few years, I would consider going with a premier designer but I like variety, sometimes I will sell the old to fund something new.
Back to the borough, I got several compliments on it at work (more for the shade of teal I believe) but although I considered it a great deal, I get the feeling most of my coworkers would think $200 for a bag was steep. I don't discuss prices with coworkers but have with friends and family in the past.

I'm the same, i prefer multiple bags vs 1 or 2... for those who like a smaller amount they may feel more comfortable investing a high dollar value per purse.

Hi,

Been lurking and reading for awhile. I'm surprised to see so much Coach bashing in this section of PurseForum. I thought it was for fans of Coach? I love my Coach bags but reading the posts here has made me feel bad for doing so. :sad:

Don't worry! This post was started on the general board, and a mod moved it here, I guess to enjoy the drama. Threads about Coach started on other boards generally don't end well. Just ignore the haters and carry what makes you happy. :smile:
Oh well, I'm going out now to rock some Coach pearlized purple haircalf, and anyone that doesn't like it can kma. :lol:

Last edited:
I personally think some Coach bags are luxurious and some bags are not. There are some incredibly gorgeous Coach bags. I had one in PVC that could match a fully leather bag. The zippers and everything on it were as every bit good as my LVs. Perhaps even better. Some coaches I see look like a worn Vera Bradley, so for me it all depends. Although, I think it all boils down to perspective.

I fully believe people don't love Coach just because. I believe it's so popular because they are great bags.

Edit: wrote "food" instead of "good". Shows you were my mind is..

I personally think some Coach bags are luxurious and some bags are not. There are some incredibly gorgeous Coach bags. I had one in PVC that could match a fully leather bag. The zippers and everything on it were as every bit good as my LVs. Perhaps even better. Some coaches I see look like a worn Vera Bradley, so for me it all depends. Although, I think it all boils down to perspective.

I fully believe people don't love Coach just because. I believe it's so popular because they are great bags.

Edit: wrote "food" instead of "good". Shows you were my mind is..

I'll also add some hate it because it is so popular and feel it's not exclusive enough lol

Oh... the old "I hate it because it's simply everywhere!" [emoji85]

Love that statement! Yet when I get compliments on mine, and they ask what brand it is, I in a lot of cases get the comment "That is a Coach bag!?!?!" Um, yes. Not all of them are signature totes, ladies and gentlemen! :cool:

Love that statement! Yet when I get compliments on mine, and they ask what brand it is, I in a lot of cases get the comment "That is a Coach bag!?!?!" Um, yes. Not all of them are signature totes, ladies and gentlemen! :cool:

Uh-huh and yet Coach makes a zillion and one bags without a siggy pattern... but i guess people cannot recognize them so they feel that Coach only "makes signature" ....