Louis Vuitton is now a 'brand for secretaries' in China

You've misunderstood me.

What I say is that in an old money society it's considered low class to brag about money. So croc Birkin would be considered vulgar by the definition. It's like wearing a sign saying look at me, I've spent so much money on this and I want to brag about it.

If you spend a lot of money on something it should be special. For example, he doesn't wear Rolex, thinking its vulgar. He wears discreet Breguet and Patek Phillip.

Even my dad who doesn't care about brands recently described an outfit of a prostitute or a gold digger as HL dress, CL shoes, Chanel bag.

I personally not as concerned about this. But I don't wear my LV mono to my office. Nor do I use Birkins to my office. I find those items to be very recognizable and therefore inappropriate for work.

Lol this is funny

Lol your post is very

I think a lot of people do care about these things.
I do. Many people on this forum do.
I care where my shoes are made. I care where my Louis Vuitton products are made. But made in Italy or Made in France or Made in the USA does not guarantee quality either.

You are making a blanket statement. It may be true in some cases, but there are a lot of people who don't fit the description you provide. I give shoppers a lot more credit in discerning what they buy.

If most people cared where things were made the Prada Saffiano Tote made in China would not be the most popular Prada bag.

Lavvin would not be selling boots made in China.

Burberry would not be selling bags made in China.
More people would have turned their backs on these "Luxury" brands once they
found out they are being made in China, but, that is just not
the case. Some have.. MORE need to.

Most people here do care, but, not as many as one would hope.

Look at Louis Vuitton, they can't even be bothered with matching the
hardware on handbags, or making sure the hardware does not chip or peel.
for over $1,000 they can't furnish bags with real brass?

We know this, yet still buy the bags.

I just bought a Fendi Spy bag, so clearly I will carry a bag that is not "in" anymore, LOL. :roflmfao:

I just got the multicolor alma. I even had reservations about being dated but when I got it it was lvoe at first site.

Last edited:
If most people cared where things were made the Prada Saffiano Tote made in China would not be the most popular Prada bag.

Lavvin would not be selling boots made in China.

Burberry would not be selling bags made in China.
More people would have turned their backs on these "Luxury" brands once they
found out they are being made in China, but, that is just not
the case. Some have.. MORE need to.

Most people here do care, but, not as many as one would hope.

Look at Louis Vuitton, they can't even be bothered with matching the
hardware on handbags, or making sure the hardware does not chip or peel.
for over $1,000 they can't furnish bags with real brass?

We know this, yet still buy the bags.

... then stop buying I guess... I don't know what to tell you. I haven't had a problem yet.

Secretaries in China aren't "low class," as has been referred to in this thread.

Hm. I used that term but I certainly didn't mean it in relation to secretaries. I was speaking in general about people who might think others in a certain income bracket are low-class. I really don't use the term "low-class" at all actually...typing in a hurry and not choosing my words properly is more likely. Apologies to all secretaries out there. I put myself through undergraduate school working as one myself!

Yes. Somebody out there does think it's trash.
Just like somebody thinks that my Cartier ring is trash. Or that a Ferrari is trash etc... Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether we like it or not!

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
But im talking about a style and perception one's outfit gives to the world.
When we buy a certain item we do shop to make a certain statement about ourselves. But the perception will be different based on personal culture and experience, education, age and etc. Some will see a Ferrari as simply a hot car, and others will question the owner's self esteem.

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
But im talking about a style and perception one's outfit gives to the world.
When we buy a certain item we do shop to make a certain statement about ourselves. But the perception will be different based on personal culture and experience, education, age and etc. Some will see a Ferrari as simply a hot car, and others will question the owner's self esteem.

I do agree with that. I believe every purchase reflects the desire to be perceived a certain way - or to belong in a certain group.

It's completely unconscious behavior but that's the entire basis of marketing.

I love handbags and accessories. I fell in love with the Birkin from the movie "the proposal" not realizing who made it and how much it cost. The rest of hermes stuff I don't care for. So even if I was a billionaire I won't go out and buy hermes just because it's what rich people use. I like a bag from lv. I'll buy from lv. ThE only bag i love from chanel is reissue 255. I like tory burch until I purchased some poor quality products made in China. That was the end of my relationship with tory.
It is sad that this article is true. I'm a little embarrassed being Asian myself.
I do agree that money can't buy elegance. Either you have it or you don't. Holding an expensive bag won't make a difference. It's a handbag not a magic wand.