Louis Vuitton is now a 'brand for secretaries' in China

TAZxSPIN

Feb 14, 2015
From the Business Insider :amuse:

After reading this, I guess I won't have to worry about carrying around LV during our upcoming summer vacation to China..

A few excerpts from the article..

"Now China's very high-end consumers are abandoning the label for even more expensive brands or bespoke goods. A typical Chinese luxury shopper, he claims, might think, "I can't buy Vuitton, I've seen it too much, it's a brand for secretaries."

"Louis Vuitton has become too ordinary," a billionaire woman told China Market Research Group managing director Shaun Rein in 2011. "Everyone has it. You see it in every restaurant in Beijing. I prefer Chanel or Bottega Veneta now. They are more exclusive."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/louis-vuitton-losing-sales-in-china-2015-2#ixzz3T3HvMgWw

From the Business Insider :amuse:

After reading this, I guess I won't have to worry about carrying around LV during our upcoming summer vacation to China..

A few excerpts from the article..

"Now China's very high-end consumers are abandoning the label for even more expensive brands or bespoke goods. A typical Chinese luxury shopper, he claims, might think, "I can't buy Vuitton, I've seen it too much, it's a brand for secretaries."

"Louis Vuitton has become too ordinary," a billionaire woman told China Market Research Group managing director Shaun Rein in 2011. "Everyone has it. You see it in every restaurant in Beijing. I prefer Chanel or Bottega Veneta now. They are more exclusive."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/louis-vuitton-losing-sales-in-china-2015-2#ixzz3T3HvMgWw

Thanks for posting. I consider it to be true in the US and Europe as well. This is why LV is pushing it's brand upmarket.

Sometimes it is really crossing the line. I remember a story from the newspaper ( not sure if it was true or not) of a Chinese guy, selling his kidney a few month before the new release of the newest iPhone model, because he simply wanted to afford an iPhone. It was seen as a status symbol. Crazy !

Well, a friend of mine is an old money billionaire from Switzerland. He doesn't allow his wife and daughters carrying monogram anything, he thinks it's low class.
And he thinks Chanel flap bags are carried by high end prostitutes.
So here you go.
Judgemental much but he's got his right to have an opinion :biggrin:

Well, a friend of mine is an old money billionaire from Switzerland. He doesn't allow his wife and daughters carrying monogram anything, he thinks it's low class.
So here you go.

You are right! My former co-worker was the same. she always said:
Gucci - the brand for girls who have sugar daddies and Prada - the brand of self-made business women

Well I guess Lv might consider following strategies:
- increase prices in china even dramatically
- limit the quantities in general
- make more leather bags for which they can charge more
- do limit the possibility of arbitrage that means do not allow tourists to buy many bag in countries which are not their home country in order to force them to buy for the higher price in their home countries ( I read in this forum that this already happens in Paris but I still see in Germany Chinese tourists buying many bags).

What do you think ?

"Japanese people used to purchase luxury products to fit in whereas Chinese are buying the goods to stand out,"
Both buying for entirely the wrong reasons. How about buy what truly makes you happy instead of trying to please those around you. Promise you won't care as much. ;)

"Louis Vuitton has become too ordinary. Everyone has it. You see it in every restaurant in Beijing. I prefer Chanel or Bottega Veneta now. They are more exclusive."
Or you could stop focusing so much on what everyone else has? You will feel the same about those brands too once everyone jumps ship because you don't love those either.

"Wealthy Chinese want to make a statement about their social status and what they wear,"
"They want you to know it's Louis Vuitton, but they don't like the big characters on their shirt. They still want you to know that it's Louis Vuitton without really knowing."
Omg really? I want you to know without telling you. If you are anyone, you'd know! :lol: Reminds me of the first time I ever saw an Ethan Allen store many years ago. I drove by it forever wondering what in the hell they sold...I guess I was just supposed to know. :hrmm:

- do limit the possibility of arbitrage that means do not allow tourists to buy many bag in countries which are not their home country in order to force them to buy for the higher price in their home countries ( I read in this forum that this already happens in Paris but I still see in Germany Chinese tourists buying many bags).

What do you think ?

That's right, they do this is France. I was offered money to buy bags for Asian tourists and then give the bags back to them outside the store. CRAZY.

So here you go.
I think this is a common view point amongst the very wealthy. I know it's very persuasive in WASP communities here in America. I took me two years to purchase a LV because I had a prejudice that it was low class. Luckily, I was able to de-snob.

I think this is a common view point amongst the very wealthy. I know it's very persuasive in WASP communities here in America. I took me two years to purchase a LV because I had a prejudice that it was low class. Luckily, I was able to de-snob.

This is how I think about it:
Something is "low class" when the person carrying it is vulgar or low class herself. Someone could carry a Birkin bag in croc and could still look vulgar and low class.

Money does not buy elegance.

"Japanese people used to purchase luxury products to fit in whereas Chinese are buying the goods to stand out,"
Both buying for entirely the wrong reasons. How about buy what truly makes you happy instead of trying to please those around you. Promise you won't care as much. ;)

"Louis Vuitton has become too ordinary. Everyone has it. You see it in every restaurant in Beijing. I prefer Chanel or Bottega Veneta now. They are more exclusive."
Or you could stop focusing so much on what everyone else has? You will feel the same about those brands too once everyone jumps ship because you don't love those either.

"Wealthy Chinese want to make a statement about their social status and what they wear,"
"They want you to know it's Louis Vuitton, but they don't like the big characters on their shirt. They still want you to know that it's Louis Vuitton without really knowing."
Omg really? I want you to know without telling you. If you are anyone, you'd know! :lol: Reminds me of the first time I ever saw an Ethan Allen store many years ago. I drove by it forever wondering what in the hell they sold...I guess I was just supposed to know. :hrmm:
I agree with you. Your Ethan Allen story is funny. These types of rich people think other people are fully invested in their sense of style. :lol: Their trying hard to be the special snowflake. Let's let these people be great while we rock our LV. :P

Last edited:
This is how I think about it:
Something is "low class" when the person carrying it is vulgar or low class herself. Someone could carry a Birkin bag in croc and could still look vulgar and low class.

Money does not buy elegance.

This x1000000000 - so many people don't understand that you can be low class in any brand.. money can't buy everything!!