Why is Pantene so terrible?

I'm thinking about making a little "system" for my hair, at which I am going to alternate between shampoos every 2-3 days:

-Either Paul Mitchell Smooth or Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Daily shampoo (I'm not sure which one)
-Paul Mitchell The Rinse (is this the conditioner?)
-Redken Smooth Down shampoo and conditioner
-Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat
-Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special shampoo and conditioner for clarifying 1-2 times a week

I'd like to know what other people think of this, whether i should change something or not. Thank you.

Last edited:
I wish I would have read this thread earlier....now I know what's causing my hair loss!! I have been using Pantene
for the last 5 years, and my hair has been falling out like crazy. Even my hairdresser asked if I was using Pantene,
because she said she can always tell by the way highlights start to 'foam' up, that there is Pantene residue in hair.

She said Pantene was soooo bad and recommended Pureology Nanoworks. It's my new miracle shampoo/conditioner!

I have tossed every Pantene product in the trash....where it belongs!

I can't believe that I didn't find this thread earlier. I have been using Pantene products for probably 2 or 3 years now. My hair has color on it, I should add. I have been trying my darndest to grow my hair to shoulder length....for years....but it always ends up so dry that I can't stand it, and then I get it cut shorter and then it grows just a bit, and then it dries out, and then....yada, yada, yada. I never wanted to use what my hairdresser sold because I didn't want to spend $18 and up for a bottle of shampoo and another $18 for conditioner, but I just now discovered Nexxus at Walmart. OMG! I have normal feeling hair. Normal! Not dry....not coated-feeling.......just, well, normal and actually soft. Holy crap! I'm hooked on Nexxus now because for the first time in years I have normal nice hair that isn't dry. I didn't even know that there was such an issue with Pantene. I can attest that I'll never use their products again. Ever.

Pantene is probably to worst shampoo on the market. I used it for a few months back when I was a teenager. It made my hair so greasy and disgusting. Once I stopped using it, it took me forever to get my hair back to normal.

I was surprised to see recently that Stacy London is a Pantene spokesperson now. I just cringed when I saw it! I'd love to know what she REALLY uses to keep her hair so shiny!

It's a shame that Pantene smells soooooooo good.

since this is an older thread, I'm not sure If i posted but I remember years ago when you could only buy pantene from a department store. I remember going in and they were on counter. In those days the bottle was completely different - blue, green, etc. depending on hair color. At the time I thought it was the best stuff.

I haven't used Pantene in years... my mom used to buy their products all the time when I was in school, and of course, I would use whatever she bought for us. I've always been relatively low maintenance with my hair, never really used any other products other than shampoo/conditioner, and rarely used any styling tools (not until college)... but I always noticed that Pantene would leave a film/residue on my hair... I stopped using it once I got a part-time job and started buying my own products... I guess it's been nearly a decade since I've touched the stuff!

I don't actually use pantene for shampoo. I find that it makes an excellent soap-scum removal cleaner. I use a ship's scrub brush and the pantene with the purple label.

I was surprised to see recently that Stacy London is a Pantene spokesperson now. I just cringed when I saw it! I'd love to know what she REALLY uses to keep her hair so shiny!

It's a shame that Pantene smells soooooooo good.

Me too! I was really surprised to see her on the commercial. I'm also wondering why a few celebrities have started supporting the brand. And I doubt Stacey is actually using Pantene's products, her hair looks like it's in such good condition. Pantene gave me dandruff and an itchy scalp that I would scratch at. It really is bad for hair. As soon as you get out of the shower, after rinsing the conditioner out, your hair looks shiny but it's only temporary shine (when my hair was not wet anymore, it turned incredibly dry and the opposite of soft), and I felt like there was a coat of shine and fake health around my hair strands....like my hair wasn't ACTUALLY healthy, KWIM? It's hard to explain but after a while my hair felt really slimy and digusting

I will not use Pantene ever again b/c it strips my hair completely and makes it feel like straw- btw, I have very healthy hair. I alternate between Purology and head and shoulders (which helps my scalp stay healthy). I stay clear of Pantene, Herbal Essences and other shampoos that smell of heavy perfumes- yuck.