Why is Pantene so terrible?

claireZk

Jun 18, 2007
Ok, so I have some questions and I didn't want to hijack the other Pantene thread...

I know it supposedly contains wax and I've heard that it contains animal products as well. Why are these ingredients bad? Every knowledgeable hair person I've ever talked to HATES Pantene more than any other product... Can someone please explain this to me?

The reason I ask is that Pantene (and only Pantene) makes my hair grow like crazy. I use just the shampoo and I alternate it with salon brands, but as soon as I stop using it, my hair stops growing :shrugs:

I only wash and heat style my hair 1-2 times a week and I don't put any chemicals (like peroxide or ammonia) on it so it's super healthy regardless of what I use, but still... How can it grow so much if the Pantene is damaging it like everyone says?? :confused1:

lol, thats crazy.

your hair grows regardless of what shampoo or conditioner you use. believe that.

I use to use Pantene alot, but then I switched shampoos (used a clarifying shampoo) and really saw the difference. I think you should just switch around your shampoos and conditioners

Wow I didn't know it was terrible. lol. It's all I use. Been using it for years. My hair has never looked better.

It's all I use as well! I love Pantene and have never personally heard other people thinking it terrible.
Now I wonder. :shrugs:
I don't want to spend so much money on Fekkai Shampoo and Conditioners though.

the only reason i dont use pantene is that
I think I'm alergic to some of its contents...
I get pimples on my back and face everytime I use it.

lol, thats crazy.

your hair grows regardless of what shampoo or conditioner you use. believe that.

I use to use Pantene alot, but then I switched shampoos (used a clarifying shampoo) and really saw the difference. I think you should just switch around your shampoos and conditioners

+1

To the OP your hair does not just stop growing...it grows regardless.

In beauty school we were all told the effects of Pantene and what it contains. You may not notice anything wrong with your hair because Pantene does a grand job at "trying" to make your hair "look shiny and new" because what happens is you are touching the top layer of the hair follicle which is the waxy coating you’ve developed on your hair Follicles from using this shampoo. It's slowly but surely drying out your hair with wax build up! Better known to us stylists as panthenol. If you don't want to spend money on Salon products use VO5 we were told this is one of the best cheapest shampoo lines in the market.

BTW Here is a definition of it's uses straight from wikipedia about panthenol...

In cosmetics, panthenol is a humectant, emollient and moisturizer. It binds to hair follicles readily[citation needed] and is a frequent component of shampoos and hair conditioners (in concentrations of 0.1-1%). It coats the hair and seals its surface[citation needed], lubricating follicles and making strands appear shiny[citation needed].

Appear shiny, ladies. :tdown:

whoops, jenarae and i posted at the same time :smile:

like jenarae said in the other thread, Pantene contains wax. So yes, your hair will appear shiny for a while, but all that wax-gunk will eventually build up and make your hair look dull. It is recommended by most professionals to use a clarifying shampoo (ex. http://www.paulmitchell.com/Products/PaulMitchell/Clarifying/Pages/ShampooThree.aspx) that will get rid of the product build-up, discontinue the use of Pantene, and use a products that won't cause build-up.

It really worked for me. I thought my hair was fine, but after I did everything my hair stylist told me to do, my hair really improved! It's worth a try!

whoops, jenarae and i posted at the same time :smile:

like jenarae said in the other thread, Pantene contains wax. So yes, your hair will appear shiny for a while, but all that wax-gunk will eventually build up and make your hair look dull. It is recommended by most professionals to use a clarifying shampoo (ex. http://www.paulmitchell.com/Products/PaulMitchell/Clarifying/Pages/ShampooThree.aspx) that will get rid of the product build-up, discontinue the use of Pantene, and use a products that won't cause build-up.

It really worked for me. I thought my hair was fine, but after I did everything my hair stylist told me to do, my hair really improved! It's worth a try!

:tup:

Just a little advice with clarifying shampoo's don't use it as your daily shampoo! At the most use it twice a week. :yes:

Pantene shampoos contain SLS which is a detergent that is far too harsh for human skin and hair.

Pantene conditioners contain silicone which makes your hair look shiny, smooth and healthy but is really just coating it in layers of gunk.

You can get fairly cheap SLS and silicone free hair products and if you have been using Pantene and lots of styling products it's a good idea to rinse your hair every now and then in diluted white or apple cider vinegar. (rinse with water afterwards and it won't smell) This is a cheap and effective method to remove buildup.

It does take some time for your hair to adjust to SLS and silicone free products so you have to bear with them, but in the long run your hair will be much healthier, stronger and naturally shiny!