What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

I always wonder that as well. But I think at the end of the day it’s just a bag. We work hard for our money and enjoy the things we can afford. I’ve had a few young people (in their early 20’s or late teens, also I’m 44) gush about my bag and say “Is that a Birkin?” with wide eyes, lol. And I always talk to them and have fun. But whenever I’ve seen another lady carrying one, they just turn their nose up. Lol. I find it very funny.
I wonder if at one point those ladies were those 20 year olds…?

I guess life changes a lot of things.

@saskiamoet I hear you and adding to your thoughts: My unpopular Hermes opinon: As beautiful as Hermes bags are, they look less attractive to me on a snobby pretentious woman. I have done exactly what you have done but fortunately, never encountered that reaction. Some women think their poop don't stink. But it does. And for those who celebrate it, wishing everyone a Blessed Good Friday. We are just passing through in this life. Let's please be kind to each other:heart:

@saskiamoet I hear you and adding to your thoughts: My unpopular Hermes opinon: As beautiful as Hermes bags are, they look less attractive to me on a snobby pretentious woman. I have done exactly what you have done but fortunately, never encountered that reaction. Some women think their poop don't stink. But it does. And for those who celebrate it, wishing everyone a Blessed Good Friday. We are just passing through in this life. Let's please be kind to each other:heart:
In case I miss you on Sunday, Happy Easter my beautiful friend!

I actually asked a question about that and never got any response from the forum. Is it weird to initiate conversation about someone’s bag? I suppose it depends on the person. And I can see someone feeling uncomfortable talking about a luxury item with a stranger. But sometimes you see some really special bags and colors and I’m not just talking about BKC but other lesser known models that are cool.
I love it when people compliment my bags, I think it's sweet. Usually it's someone really shy who rushes up and then runs away :lol: but I'm always nice about it. If I see a gorgeous or unusual bag, I will compliment it too, as long as the owner seems reasonably un-scary!
I think with vintage bags especially, people like to know their bag got recognized, or that someone else knows about Box, Barenia, etc. However if someone asks if I am on tPF I say no.

I actually asked a question about that and never got any response from the forum. Is it weird to initiate conversation about someone’s bag? I suppose it depends on the person. And I can see someone feeling uncomfortable talking about a luxury item with a stranger. But sometimes you see some really special bags and colors and I’m not just talking about BKC but other lesser known models that are cool.
People often ask me about my bags. Usually I’m carrying a B, usually the question comes from a supermarket checkout person who is admiring the craftsmanship. Sometimes they ask about the brand, usually they have no idea what it is (and I usually say Hermes vs Birkin or Kelly).

One woman who works with my VERY fashion savvy tailor asked if my box Kelly was a Birkin and was swooning…, so I explained the difference. Funnily enough I carried in my Black box B35 along with my alterations in one of those totes you get as a GWP at NM (it was leopard print plastic) and she said I LOVE that bag (the Birkin was behind it) and I said “oh this? It was a freebie from NM” and she looked at me funny and expanded that she appreciated the richness of the black leather with the GHW… only then did I realize she meant my B.

My opinion; it doesn’t pay to be snobby… that smacks of gatekeeping and I don’t want to be associated as a stereotype of Birkin carrying snobs. Education is far more helpful…

Last edited:
My opinion; it doesn’t pay to be snobby… that smacks of gatekeeping and I don’t want to be associated as a stereotype of Birkin carrying snobs. Education is far more helpful…

Very well said! :tup:
I also don't want to be associated with the stereotype that Birkin/Kelly owners are snobby gatekeepers, and enjoy answering questions about my bag. Once upon a time (unless someone inherited from family), we were all new to Hermes. :heart:

I’ve had a millennial tell her dad about my B. The dad was nice and came upto me and mentioned “my daughter loves your bag, she says they’re really hard to come by”…
The daughter came up to me a few secs later and goes “ugh, i hate you”….
It was meant as a compliment, i guess…i just didn’t know how to respond lol

PS: Adding an unpopular opinion to keep from being OT, Im not a big fan of the KTG and CTG. I would’ve loved them if they were the slightest big bigger to at least fit a phone and basics. Ive seen videos and pics of what fits and honestly if folks think the evelyne tpm is small, then these are miniature in comparison.

Last edited:
My unpopular Hermes opinion has more to do with people, particularly snobs.
I love Hermes, I really do. Since I was about 15. So when I see a lady out in the world with a Birkin or Kelly or any other Hermes bag, I have to fight the urge not to walk up and say “Hi! I love you bag”. Well here in South Florida there have been so many times that I see a lady with a Birkin or a Kelly and I’ll smile and compliment their bag, only to get the snootiest look back. Even when I’m also carrying a Birkin, lol. Usually they don’t smile and turn away! Why?? Why the snobbery? Even though I have a few Hermes bags, I still get super excited to see one on someone else. Whenever I’ve had someone say something to me, I am always super nice and fun about it. Why not? It’s a fun moment in an otherwise stressful world.
I’m a borderline introvert, so don’t often compliment others (for fear of the snobbery you mention!), but I should do better because I feel like nice things should be said when you have them to say. However, if someone compliments my bag (or outfit, or hair, or…), then I am more than happy to engage them in conversation! It’s often a good icebreaker and I’ve met some really fun people this way.

But this leads me to my unpopular opinion: Luxury shopping with my B. Sure, I get more attention and better service when carrying my B, regardless of whether it’s at H, or another store. However, what I don’t love is SAs using that compliment as a segue to sell me something. No, Louis Vuitton, just because I have a B does not mean I want a Capucines. There is no comparison between the two! (Honestly, if I had a dollar for every time an LV CA did this to me, I could purchase another B.)

I’m a borderline introvert, so don’t often compliment others (for fear of the snobbery you mention!), but I should do better because I feel like nice things should be said when you have them to say. However, if someone compliments my bag (or outfit, or hair, or…), then I am more than happy to engage them in conversation! It’s often a good icebreaker and I’ve met some really fun people this way.

But this leads me to my unpopular opinion: Luxury shopping with my B. Sure, I get more attention and better service when carrying my B, regardless of whether it’s at H, or another store. However, what I don’t love is SAs using that compliment as a segue to sell me something. No, Louis Vuitton, just because I have a B does not mean I want a Capucines. There is no comparison between the two! (Honestly, if I had a dollar for every time an LV CA did this to me, I could purchase another B.)

Lol. I have both a B25 and a Capucine. I obviously got my more accessible Capucines before my Birkin but still love it. Glad they are different colors though. My capucines is different in that it is beaded. I just like top handle bags in general.

Last edited: