What is the "It" bag for Fall 2018?

Luv2Shop1

California Dreaming
O.G.
Aug 8, 2009
With fall fast approaching, I'm looking to purchase a new "fall" bag--any excuse, right? :P

As I've looked around fashion magazines and the Internet (including tPF), there doesn't seem to be an "It" bag that everyone is buzzing about this season...so I thought I'd pose the question here and see what others in the tPF community think:

What is the Fall 2018 "It" Bag?

Is it a specific designer bag--like the Chloe Drew was a few years ago--or a bag style like the "circle" bag trend?

I'd love to hear your thoughts! I have a couple of weeks to figure it out! :biggrin:

My first thought was Dior saddle bag too. Though as mentioned, not sure it has been really flying off the shelves or just gets a lot of media buzz. The saint Laurent Niki is a contender imo. That one IS flying off shelves and iiuc they already had one price increase on such a new bag. It’s very popular though it doesn’t hit any of the fall purse trends the fashions mags are highlighting.

But was there a spring 2018 it bag? We seem to be in a lull.

Last edited:
Great question! Waiting to hear what people say. :popcorn:

(Hope you get real answers to your specific question and not a lot of generic “just buy what you like”)
"Just buy what you love and what makes your heart sing!"? :happydance: :P I can write this, because that's exactly what I always write :lol:

To try and answer OP: I'd say the Dior Saddle bag seems to be hyped a bit. But mainly: LOGOMANIA. All the brands seem to have abandoned any semblance of less is more, and are sporting their logo on everything and everything. The larger the logo, the "better". Bal's Gvasalia should be publicly made to answer for this :annoyed: :P Sorry OP if you like this style :flowers: I'm obviously part of the anti logo movement :smile:

As webstore Monniers Frères put embellish it:
THE LOGOMANIA
A leading trend in the 90’s, logos are coming back strong this year. The minimalist silhouette delicately adopted these past seasons has given way to statement looks, demonstrating our degree of love for our favorite labels with branded pieces. From the iconic check pattern for Burberry, to big spelt-out logos for Balmain, Off-White, Valentino and Loewe, or MCM-style monograms, this season, avoid plain leather and assert your taste by wearing uniquely branded accessories.
https://www.monnierfreres.com/com-en/shop-by/shop-by-trend/the-logomania

balenciaga.jpg
rihanna-leans-into-logomania-with-a-very-guccified-outfit.jpg

"Just buy what you love and what makes your heart sing!"? :happydance: :P I can write this, because that's exactly what I always write :lol:

To try and answer OP: I'd say the Dior Saddle bag seems to be hyped a bit. But mainly: LOGOMANIA. All the brands seem to have abandoned any semblance of less is more, and are sporting their logo on everything and everything. The larger the logo, the "better". Bal's Gvasalia should be publicly made to answer for this :annoyed: :P Sorry OP if you like this style :flowers: I'm obviously part of the anti logo movement :smile:

As webstore Monniers Frères put embellish it:
THE LOGOMANIA
A leading trend in the 90’s, logos are coming back strong this year. The minimalist silhouette delicately adopted these past seasons has given way to statement looks, demonstrating our degree of love for our favorite labels with branded pieces. From the iconic check pattern for Burberry, to big spelt-out logos for Balmain, Off-White, Valentino and Loewe, or MCM-style monograms, this season, avoid plain leather and assert your taste by wearing uniquely branded accessories.
https://www.monnierfreres.com/com-en/shop-by/shop-by-trend/the-logomania

View attachment 4181441
View attachment 4181442
You’re right, it’s shouty logos and oversized brand names everywhere. A trend I loathe personally :sick:
And some odd shapes too, such as the LV wave bag - not a fan! Perhaps I’m getting old :biggrin:

But was there a spring 2018 it bag? We seem to be in a lull.
OMG! I’ve been thinking the same thing! “It” bags are fun. I’ve never bought one but, they can change the landscape in exciting ways.
LOL! Yea, ok. While, I completely agree with the sentiment and, have offered it on occasion, many times an OP will ask for a specific opinion / recommendation (like here) and people will float in with “buy what makes your heart sing” and then float away without giving an answer to the question. Fairy dust well sprinkled but, the OP not really helped. :lol:

And, I totally agree on Logomania. Not my cup o’ tea but certainly it’s a HUGE trend.

OMG! I’ve been thinking the same thing! “It” bags are fun. I’ve never bought one but, they can change the landscape in exciting ways.
LOL! Yea, ok. While, I completely agree with the sentiment and, have offered it on occasion, many times an OP will ask for a specific opinion / recommendation (like here) and people will float in with “buy what makes your heart sing” and then float away without giving an answer to the question. Fairy dust well sprinkled but, the OP not really helped. :lol:

And, I totally agree on Logomania. Not my cup o’ tea but certainly it’s a HUGE trend.
I couldn't find one, tPF needs a fairy dust smiley and rain bow text colour p-r-o-n-t-o! :yes:

Not saying anything that has't already been said really, perhaps an indication that lots in agreement means there's a trend.

Certainly the marketing money is behind the Saddle re-issue and the whole Celine HS-rebranding (the 'Gaga' bag has no logos BTW).

Since trends are not the same all over the world:
In the UK:
The Saddle is already with us but canny shoppers are buying pre-loved or resurrecting from their own closets. I think Gucci's Marmont trend will continue for a while and YSL's Niki is a new entry, which makes me think £900-1.5K bag is still the OK-it price point. UK prices could be adjusted for the new low (against the Euro as most of these bags are made in Italy) but that may mean going back to empty stores since most of our shoppers are overseas shoppers and tourists who will just choose to shop in Paris, Milan etc or wherever makes the most financial sense.

The Saddle is already with us but canny shoppers are buying pre-loved or resurrecting from their own closets. I think Gucci's Marmont trend will continue for a while and YSL's Niki is a new entry, which makes me think £900-1.5K bag is still the OK-it price point. UK prices could be adjusted for the new low (against the Euro as most of these bags are made in Italy) but that may mean going back to empty stores since most of our shoppers are overseas shoppers and tourists who will just choose to shop in Paris, Milan etc or wherever makes the most financial sense.
the price factor is a great point. I guess that's wahy the LV wave bags are priced the way they are.

I'm pretty sure a Slimane Celine bag be an it-bag soon enough, just not sure it's going to be the one gaga debuted.

BTW I guess UK shoppers might be able to to get tax refunds in the EU post brexit eh?

the price factor is a great point. I guess that's wahy the LV wave bags are priced the way they are.

I'm pretty sure a Slimane Celine bag be an it-bag soon enough, just not sure it's going to be the one gaga debuted.

BTW I guess UK shoppers might be able to to get tax refunds in the EU post brexit eh?

You may be correct, I personally love a strict, old-fashioned, top-handle bag but it's not exactly ground-breaking or distinctive. Most IT bags seem to need to be identifiable from a distance.

That would be a miracle. The way things are going, I think the EU would like the UK/U citizens to live on the European 'naughty step' in dire poverty for the rest of eternity so they can sit and think about what they've done, reflect on the good ol' times and feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves ;)

You may be correct, I personally love a strict, old-fashioned, top-handle bag but it's not exactly ground-breaking or distinctive. Most IT bags seem to need to be identifiable from a distance.

That would be a miracle. The way things are going, I think the EU would like the UK/U citizens to live on the European 'naughty step' in dire poverty for the rest of eternity so they can sit and think about what they've done, reflect on the good ol' times and feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves ;)
:lol:
EXTRA LIKE
;)