Travel What are your airport/airplane pet peeves?!

Mostly it's just the oversized carry-on bags!!!! Oh, and people who don't know how to put their bags in the overhead bin. Wheels first! And if your bag doesn't fit in wheels first and you have to put it in sideways (thus taking up two spots) then your bag is TOO BIG!!!!

There is really not too much that bothers me on flights, but I can narrow it down to a few things... What Twiggers said is one of them.

The other thing that bothers me is when people are sick and contagious on a flight that are coughing, sneezing, etc. It's unfortunate that they are sick, but they really should be wearing a mask on the flight. Sounds extreme, but I do not want my vacation ruined that I paid good money for by getting sick because of someone who is spreading their germs during the flight.

Another is when a flight is delayed enough for me to miss my connecting flight, or a cancelled flight.

The last is lost luggage and the improper way the airlines handle this. My boyfriend's lost bag was dropped off at another woman's house and she was kind enough to contact him. My lost bag was sitting at the airport for days and they said they couldn't find it. I drove to the airport myself and spotted it just sitting in front of their office.

Really? I've flown 9+ hour flights and there is no way I could stay cramped in a little seat upright and erect for 9 hours!!!! It's hard enough to sleep on an airplane and if the seat reclines, I'm going to do it! Everyone else on board reclines their seat, too. It only goes back a few inches, it's not like their head is in your lap. I guess I'm one of those people who will end up pissing you off, LOL. :biggrin:

I agree. If I'm on a 3 hour flight, there's no way I'll put my chair back, but when I'm flying overseas, and it's a really long flight almost everyone puts their chairs back, me included. I've even heard the flight attendants say, "recline your seats and relax."

I recline my seat whenever I feel like relaxing even if it's on a short flight. I didn't realize it annoyed people! I mean in all honesty when the person in front of me reclines I sort of wish they didn't but then I get over it because I know I can recline mine too! Maybe the fact that I'm short makes it less annoying to me?

I see nothing wrong with reclining seats. People recline theirs in front of me and it has never bothered me. It's not like it goes back that far. I understand why they do it because it is more comfortable to sit. It's more comfortable for me to be reclined, too. A few inches less space in my area is no problem for me... I don't want people to have to be uncomfortable on a flight just to save myself a few inches in front of me. If people complain it affects their laptops, etc. I think it's silly. Comfort is more important than a laptop on a flight, too.

Oversize carryons and too many carryons drive me nuts. I wish they would enforce the damn rules better at check in.

On luggage in general, it's not really a pet peeve, but I just don't get the amount of luggage some people take when they travel. Is it really necessary to haul around that much stuff with you? I'm a fairly light packer, mainly because I hate having to lug a heavy bag, it just seems like it would be so annoying.

In some cases (like moving, bringing stuff home to family, etc.) I can understand the need, but most of the time it seems so unneccesary.

My peeves are when passengers on planes don't wear deodorant and stink to high heaven of body odour, and passengers who fly who are sick and cough and sniffle the whole damned flight. I don't like kids at the best of times, but on planes they really should be kept as quiet as possible.

pet peeve, sitting beside a huge person when flying coach.

OMG, soooo true! a big person was assigned the middle seat and as he stepped in my row, he put both armrests up without asking us. he then proceeded to take up his seat and half of the two flanking seats. i had to sit leaning out into the aisle (can't imagine what the lady in the window seat felt). he eventually went to the bathroom and i lowered the armrest between us and made sure not to take my arm off it when he came back. seriously... i paid for an entire seat and it's galling that he felt entitled to half of it.

Really? I've flown 9+ hour flights and there is no way I could stay cramped in a little seat upright and erect for 9 hours!!!! It's hard enough to sleep on an airplane and if the seat reclines, I'm going to do it! Everyone else on board reclines their seat, too. It only goes back a few inches, it's not like their head is in your lap. I guess I'm one of those people who will end up pissing you off, LOL. :biggrin:

I Agree!!

uuugh loads

- people who HOG THE ARM REST! this is why i try to always sit next to family members.
- people in front who recline without asking if it's ok....um actually i'm trying to eat my inflight meal and would appreciate the tray not digging into my chest. honestly i think its rude when you're eating, other times fine.
- kids who kick the back of your seat
- when the whole family stands at baggage claim, like 5 people all lined up along the carousel, it's pretty hard hauling a suitcase off when a 5 yo is in the way

and of course
- the dreaded "is there a pysician on board?" ......no answer....."is there a nurse on board?"....oh ok i'll go, i'll go. ah the benefits of being a ER nurse, just wish they would upgrade me or give me something after seeing that passengers rash/sore throat/funny turn/shortness of breath episode.

Last edited:
Soooooo many...

- I hate it when kids kick the back of my seat...it IRKS my nerves.
- People who bump all into you while they're going down the aisle and don't excuse themselves.
- People who insist on bringing those huge carry-on bag that never fit.
- People who turn the little fan on and then point it in your direction...I hate being cold!!

uuugh loads
and of course
- the dreaded "is there a pysician on board?" ......no answer....."is there a nurse on board?"....oh ok i'll go, i'll go. ah the benefits of being a ER nurse, just wish they would upgrade me or give me something after seeing that passengers rash/sore throat/funny turn/shortness of breath episode.

My husband is a Doctor and once he was onboard and they were calling out for doctors and he went thru and they gave him free airmiles and a bottle of champagne on board!

thanks for reminding me of why I don't fly

my biggest pet peeve is when you land everyone has to stand up and get their stuff out eventhough the doors aren't opened and we can't leave the airplane but they have to be the first one off the plane to get their luggage that won't even be there because it's being unloaded and will take 20 min.

Miami's airport just hate it would rather land in Ft.Lauderdale and drive the extra 20 minutes home