US Customs discussion - airports, importing

Not. Single. Question. We have global entry. The machine scanned our faces and printed a receipt, that was all!

i just came back from a trip. Global entry scanned and just gave me a slip as you mentioned. The customs officer said welcome back and I was a bit confused. Then he asked me whether I have anything to declare. I said yes and handbags. He asked me how many and I said three. He said MERRY XMAS, no duty for you today LOL.

when I got my bag shipped in June from Paris, FedEx mailed me a bill for 20%. I tossed the bill after paying for it. I have to confess I was surprised and probably should have asked. But I was too excited to get the bag after all the forms and documents needed for them to release the bag. Last time when we shipped tablewares, it was definitely less than 10%. Do’t remember the exact number. I wonder if it has something to do with the tariff.

For those that have ordered items to be shipped from France to other countries, what is the price you pay for the item? Is it without the full 20% VAT or is it something like 10%?
The amount of US duty varies by the item type. Crystal stemware is taxed differently than a wooden jewelry box or leather goods. ( I have shipped each).

The duty on leather goods is 9%.

• Love
Reactions: 880
when I got my bag shipped in June from Paris, FedEx mailed me a bill for 20%. I tossed the bill after paying for it. I have to confess I was surprised and probably should have asked. But I was too excited to get the bag after all the forms and documents needed for them to release the bag. Last time when we shipped tablewares, it was definitely less than 10%. Do’t remember the exact number. I wonder if it has something to do with the tariff.

Thanks for sharing your experience .:hugs: I don’t understand why you would have had to pay 20%—was it an exotic?

I will share a little more on my experience .
I have had a few things shipped — canvas bags, leather bags , wooden jewelry box, crystal glassware, art . What I have discovered is duty is computed by the carrier who brings it into the country . The carrier determines that duty based on the description provided by the shipper - which determines the items category - and “The US Harmonzied Tariff Schedule “ (HTS) - which provides the duty %.

I have spent time going through the HTS — it is a huge document that covers duty rates for every category you can think of.

Sometimes the shipper doesn’t provide a good enough description for the carrier to determine the duty % from the HTS and additional information has to be requested from the shipper. For example in my case, additional information was requested from the shipper about my wooden jewelry box— more detail was required on the types of wood and the origin of the different woods. Unfortunately , the shipper did not answer quickly enough so the carrier sent the box back to the shipper and it took weeks to sort things out.

Sometimes the carrier makes a mistake in their calculation. When I shipped crystal glassware it wasn’t described well in the shipper’s description and was classified in a category of regular glass with a rate of over 20%. I went through the HTS and found the correct category , which was around 3%. After the carrier confirmed the correct description of the type of glass with the shipper, the rate was changed to the correct 3%.

It seems to me there is a lot of opportunity for error. Both in the shipper’s description (typically not enough detail ) and the carrier’s calculation of tariff . You can ask the carrier to provide information on their calculation if you have any questions.

When I had a shipment of only handbags, both leather and canvas, they have always been taxed at 9%.

thank you so much, @sbelle. I was wondering too when I first got the bill. I actually have never paid even that much at airport custom. Typicall, I was charged 3% and I got the same agent on several occasions to a point he recognized me. I magically found the bill. I thought I tossed it. I will give a call when life gets a bit quieter. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for sharing your experience .:hugs: I don’t understand why you would have had to pay 20%—was it an exotic?

I will share a little more on my experience .
I have had a few things shipped — canvas bags, leather bags , wooden jewelry box, crystal glassware, art . What I have discovered is duty is computed by the carrier who brings it into the country . The carrier determines that duty based on the description provided by the shipper - which determines the items category - and “The US Harmonzied Tariff Schedule “ (HTS) - which provides the duty %.

I have spent time going through the HTS — it is a huge document that covers duty rates for every category you can think of.

Sometimes the shipper doesn’t provide a good enough description for the carrier to determine the duty % from the HTS and additional information has to be requested from the shipper. For example in my case, additional information was requested from the shipper about my wooden jewelry box— more detail was required on the types of wood and the origin of the different woods. Unfortunately , the shipper did not answer quickly enough so the carrier sent the box back to the shipper and it took weeks to sort things out.

Sometimes the carrier makes a mistake in their calculation. When I shipped crystal glassware it wasn’t described well in the shipper’s description and was classified in a category of regular glass with a rate of over 20%. I went through the HTS and found the correct category , which was around 3%. After the carrier confirmed the correct description of the type of glass with the shipper, the rate was changed to the correct 3%.

It seems to me there is a lot of opportunity for error. Both in the shipper’s description (typically not enough detail ) and the carrier’s calculation of tariff . You can ask the carrier to provide information on their calculation if you have any questions.

When I had a shipment of only handbags, both leather and canvas, they have always been taxed at 9%.

Left Paris today. Picked up some items last night at Hermes. It wasn’t too busy on FSH.
Arrived at the Tax free area this morning it was 6:30 am and scanned my items at Pablo first one went through no problem scarves belts etc.
The one with the B25 went red I went to the window and offered to show the bag to the agent.He asked were it was I pointed to the carry on and he just validated the form. The stores were not open until 10 so no last minute shopping. Filled out my customs form and itemized it on the back. We were waved through. I saw someone else waved through with LV bags while others were brought inside to pay. I don’t know if it was the honesty of everything itemized that made him wave us through.

Last edited:
Just my experience, came back to US from Madrid 4 days ago. Was in France/Paris for 5 nights then Spain for 4 nights. For the last 5 times in like 10-15 years we have always come back from Paris. The last 3 times getting the customs stamp has been very easy even if I had to see the officer to get the stamp. In Madrid it turned into a nightmare. Was told to go to one area after standing in a short line that took a long time I was told I had to go to another area because of the greater monetary amount of my purchases. I only had 4 forms. One from Spain and 3 from France. So went to the other area which was not easy to find (and we speak Spanish). There the officer was not there. No one showed up or they were hiding in the back in one of the offices. We waited 15 min or so. Until she finally showed her face and told us she was too busy to help us. WTF.
So we went back to the other first lady and she apparently was more concerned that the second lady did not want to help us. Anyway long story but my family was growing extremely impatient with me that we would miss out flight, so I just gave up. It was horrible to say the least. Of course maybe I should have been 4 hours earlier to the airport than the 2 1/2 hours, but wow there was hardly anyone around. Just letting you all know Madrid maybe a little more difficult.

• Wow
Reactions: opensesame
I have been charged 20% for leather goods shipped from Hermès Paris. "Luxury leather goods made in France" are taxed at 20% is what I was told by DHL. It's one reason I try not to have Paris ship things.
In general I find anything that gets shipped is taxed with a careful eye and a heavy hand, probably because the carrier is trying very hard not to incur any scrutiny. For instance, fine art (not taxable in most if not all states) seems to ALWAYS get hit with use tax (different than duty) when shipped, because carriers are very diligent about reporting such things; yet use tax is rarely applied in other areas.

I flew back last Saturday from Paris to JFK and had diligently packed all of my shopping in one suitcase and had all of my receipts ready to go for customs for a $20K shopping spree at Hermès (including a Verrou 21 bi-color bag), Burberry, and GL.

After clearing Global Entry, we picked up our bags and went to exit via customs are and there were no officers there - everyone on our very full flight just walked out. I could see a few off in a side area having a convo, but they just ignored us.

Lucky you! I just got back Wed from Paris and was chased down by a Customs officer. Like you I had all items purchased packed in one bag and my receipts ready. He interrogated me and asked me same questions in different contexts. It was annoying. He proceeded to go through ALL five of my bags and suitcases. Literally messing up all of my packing. In the end he says, Thank you for being honest. Pffffffff!!!

• Wow
Reactions: bluesky88333
Lucky you! I just got back Wed from Paris and was chased down by a Customs officer. Like you I had all items purchased packed in one bag and my receipts ready. He interrogated me and asked me same questions in different contexts. It was annoying. He proceeded to go through ALL five of my bags and suitcases. Literally messing up all of my packing. In the end he says, Thank you for being honest. Pffffffff!!!
Oh wow - may I ask at which US airport this was?

That question was actually asked by the nicest one. He was the one who believed I did not lie when using the custom machine and bypass the custom without declaring. I think he wanted to practice and utilize some Korean words he learned.

At first I thought it has to do with the fact I look younger than my age, as I still get IDed for things. Yet how young could I really look? It wasn't as if they would think I am a teenager.

Like you, I don't like to check bags and have only done carry ons most of my past trips. But it was extremely hard to pack this time, even with the extra large checked luggage, hence I thought about shipping.

However, there is really no point of shipping when I thought about this more. I mean they are probably going to pull me out every time from now on anyway, even if I really didn't buy anything. It's like being blacklisted, while not officially blacklisted for not declaring. As long as those officers who was familar with my last two trips are on duty at my arrival, they gonna think I must have lots of shopping.

Sorry to hear you had to go thru this. I got searched in 2019 too. Just wondering if they have continued to pull you out for inspection on every trip afterward. Some of other comments mentioned that possibility, which makes me feel very nervous. Wonder if they would insisting on going thru all luggages even if I fly back from Asia and with no shopping/food items.

Not sure I understand your complaint. You complied with the law and paid the taxes required by law. If you do try to evade this process in the future, you risk being held for hours, charged taxes AND penalties, and being held for examination every time you return to the country. This has happened to more than one person I know who thought they could outsmart the agents. Not a good move IMHO.
Can you elaborate more? Was the person being held for examinations every single time after that incident? Or it only happened when coming back from Paris/EU? Thanks.