US Customs discussion - airports, importing

esyee

Aug 4, 2008
I'm heading to Beijing and Singapore in about a month for work and plan to visit the H boutiques as often as I can during my two week stay, if I get lucky and do make a purchase (birkin or kelly), what is the US Customs tax on a purchase like that since you can only declare under $400 US without being taxed?

What's your experience/recommendation?
Are the prices the same in the US and Asia?

TIA

^^^ As far as I know, you would not be able to buy Birkins off the shelf at both places – you might be lucky with Kellys sometimes.

Beijing is at least 20% higher than in Singapore. Singapore prices are roughly about the same as US prices after you receive the tax refund.

Last edited:
I want to buy a used birkin from Europe but am concerned about the customs. If they deem the value at $7000, is there a cap that customs in the US can charge? I just want to be prepared should I be unfortunate enought to be charged. :sad:

For some reason I have 10% on anything above $200 in my head, but I have no basis for that estimate. I tried to research it awhile ago for something i wanted to buy, but did not get very far on the US customs web site. Ultimately the closest i got was a $40 book called the us harmonized tariff schedule... which is to say, not very close. Hopefully someone with real experience paying can chime in.

I just received my preowned birkin from Hong Kong and there's a sticker on the fedex box that says, "If customs asses duties and taxes, you will be billed later." I'll post the amount they charged me when I get the bill.

Thanks 2manybags...
I also just received a shipment in from ex US with the same thing on it. My box had been opened and rumaged through as well. I asked my nice Fed ex man what the duties might be and if they would be in line with the declared value and he said that there was no telling. If they felt the item was underdeclared, I may be charged for what customs felt is fair value or asked to show proof of value with receipt.
Who knows? I'll post what I'm charged as well so we can compare.

9% I just got the bill.
love the avatar E H! do you take your cat out on ca(s)ting calls? cuz i think (s)he could model ;)
anywhoo, :back2topic: so the 9% we'd pay on this end almost offsets the VAT we're refunded from Europe, for example.

dressagequeen, so that goes for used items the same? Gee, if I were willing to fly economy all that distance, I'd prefer to spend the money on a plane ticket and carry the old bag in myself! (Not that I'm against paying taxes, but heck! How many times should a country get to charge on the same item!!)

Reactions: SalsaBlue