The LV Rescue Club

Just wanted to post some pics of a repair I did today on my Metis Hobo. Had a hole
In corner and got brave after watching you tube video and purchased 3m vinyl/leather repair. I was very nervous to try this because it involves heat but I am so pleased with results. It's not perfect but it looks a lot better and hopefully won't tear any further. The top picture is the after..lol, had some trouble getting both to post.
what an awesome job you did!

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with these tiny dark spots. I thought maybe they were mold, but there's no sign of mold anywhere else on the bag and they don't have a texture or appear to be spreading. I read they could be from metal shards. Someone said to try lemon juice. Other than magic eraser, which I want to avoid due to past experience, any ideas?IMG_1499491314.625160.jpg

Sorry had to post my pictures separate from text because my phone wouldn't download the pictures and then I'm watching my parents house and their keyboard is wireless so when you type fast it makes everything incorrect and misses letters or multiplies letters 5x and it's annoying so I went to my phone to type. Lol.

Anyways, I cleaned up this hampstead. I just dropped it off at a shoe repair to see about fixing the corners. He said he would have to take the whole bag apart to fix it and would let me know the price but if it's expensive I'll just figure it out myself. I really love the size and feel of this bag. I'll post updates about the corners.

The bottom picture are the products I used. I would not recommend the magic eraser personally. Although it does nice on getting out some staining, it's super harsh on the bag. This bag was in very rough condition so I didn't mind going the harsh route but if you have a more precious bag, I would not use that (it also takes away from the gloss on the handles, again mine was far gone so I didn't mind). The alcohol free baby wipes worked nicely getting the dirt off the canvas, took some elbow grease and time but got everything off nicely. The leather care cleaner didn't make much of a difference in my eyes but the conditioner definitely made the leather less dry feeling after the magic eraser.

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with these tiny dark spots. I thought maybe they were mold, but there's no sign of mold anywhere else on the bag and they don't have a texture or appear to be spreading. I read they could be from metal shards. Someone said to try lemon juice. Other than magic eraser, which I want to avoid due to past experience, any ideas?View attachment 3756921
I've been using a white artist's eraser before I try anything more abrasive or strong. Hopefully they come off.

Just wanted to post some pics of a repair I did today on my Metis Hobo. Had a hole
In corner and got brave after watching you tube video and purchased 3m vinyl/leather repair. I was very nervous to try this because it involves heat but I am so pleased with results. It's not perfect but it looks a lot better and hopefully won't tear any further. The top picture is the after..lol, had some trouble getting both to post.

This is incredible. Great work!

You are so brave! Well done!

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with these tiny dark spots. I thought maybe they were mold, but there's no sign of mold anywhere else on the bag and they don't have a texture or appear to be spreading. I read they could be from metal shards. Someone said to try lemon juice. Other than magic eraser, which I want to avoid due to past experience, any ideas?View attachment 3756921
I have heard of people using drawing erasers like the one attached. I have not tried this method myself though.
IMG_6804.jpg

I wanted to share my preloaded Alma rescue.
[emoji10][emoji6]WARNING lengthy post!

I have always loved the Alma profile, but never added one to my collection. I opted to shop for a mono PM on eBay as I am a sucker for anything vintage and/or needing a little tlc.

I had two must haves guiding my browsing.
1. Canvas - no missing, cracking, peeling, ect.
2. Vachetta - nothing torn or worn through

After countless hours browsing I came across a potential candidate. Her canvas was in good shape, patina not overly dark, had corner scuffs on vachetta but not rubbed through and some staining on bottom. Her interior was "iffy". There was a huge white stain and assorted water or oil marks. The seller assured me there was no odor. I figured worse case scenario if I could not remove the interior stains, I would use an interior organizer to hide them.

I got her home and was very pleased. Was happy report no odor in the interior, canvas and vachetta also as represented in photos. I gathered up my tools and started to clean. Unscented baby wipes, ME, Brasso, Cadillac Boot & Shoe Care, assorted soft cloths, cotton swabs, nail brush, and dawn dish soap.

I was beyond thrilled that wiping the interior with a baby wipe removed a majority of the white mark. It appeared to be dried toothpaste! As I cleaned it away it gave off a minty smell. Gross [emoji12][emoji12]I know but very happy it was going to depart without a fight! I continued to clean the interior with a few drops of Dawn diluted in a very small amount of warm water. Dipping my nail brush into that mixture and gently scrubbing in circular motions. It did cause suds on the lining, so I gently wiped it away with a damp cloth. After allowing ample dry time, I repeated the process over the water/oil marks.

Next stop ME on vachetta bottom. Cut ME into small chunks and slightly dampened. Worked over water marks and black, sticky dried gum. Again gross[emoji12] but gone! Dry and repeat, dry and repeat. Moved to vachetta sides. Gently cleaned with ME to blend corner rubs and lighten stains. Handles and chaps last. Polished all hardware while vachetta dried.

Applied 2 coats of Cadillac Boot & Shoe care to vachetta with a soft cloth. I allow 10 minutes drying time in between. Applied a small amount on canvas too! Buffed all surfaces to a shine with a clean soft cloth.

Here she is[emoji3] befores on left, after a on right.

View attachment 3252746
View attachment 3252747
View attachment 3252748

Overall thoughts....
The ME and Cadillac Boot & Shoe care treatments evened the tones of the vachetta considerably. I would not say they lightened it. I love the silky feel and sheen that Cadillac Boot & Shoe care gives. It's never heavy or sticky.

I would pre-treat interior stains with stain spot treatment or Tide stick before applying the Dawn treatment with the nail brush. I believe this would help them release without wetting down the lining again on later attempts to remove them.

I will work more on polishing padlock once I obtain a key to remove it. There were spots I could not get to with it locked in place.

My total investment was $160usd[emoji7]
Hi MissAllyn,
I'm looking to buy this Alma but do you think it can be rescued?
IMG_20170710_160129.jpgIMG_20170710_160057.jpg