Odd leather smell

I got a bit of a jolt yesterday when I took the bag to our new H boutique, and not only will they do nothing for me on this bag, but I was carrying my black B, and asked if I ever wanted to send it to the spa how would that work. I was told no bag bought on the re seller market would be touched by H. Since we had no boutique here until a few months ago, I own four H bags I paid probably double for on the re seller market, as that was my only option. I think this is rather outrageous. Are other members aware of this??

When was this, as I was told they will not touch any bag bought from a re seller.
I ALWAYS send my pre-owned bags to the H Spa: they get a freshen up and I have 100% confirmation that the bag is the real deal. After all, they don't ask you where the bag comes from and you don't have to tell them. Actually I make a point of telling my store I bought a pre-owned bag, since that leather or size isn't available anymore! We always joke about it.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
I ALWAYS send my pre-owned bags to the H Spa: they get a freshen up and I have 100% confirmation that the bag is the real deal. After all, they don't ask you where the bag comes from and you don't have to tell them. Actually I make a point of telling my store I bought a pre-owned bag, since that leather or size isn't available anymore! We always joke about it.
Based on Duna's reply, is there a regional manager, which they told me there wasn't, or any other recourse about the H spa question?

@sarong13 - absolutely agree with everyone else and return bag to reseller. Fight it with your CC if you have to.

Just wanted to share I had a smelly bag replaced by H. The replacement bag also smelled. H would have taken it back, but not replaced or something. Do not remember so many years ago. In any case, I put my birkin in the freezer (wrapped in plastic so it would not get damp) for xxx days. It killed the smell. NOTE - I do not endorse this for others and don't want to be accountable for any one else's care decision, just saying it worked in my case. I posted about this years ago.

The B is still one of my favorites and has been well loved by me all these years later. It also has a sentimental connection for me with a dear tPFer who was my H guide all those years ago.
That is fascinating! How many days did you leave it in the freezer?

That is fascinating! How many days did you leave it in the freezer?
I honestly don’t remember now it might be in my original post on this thread…. And I just did it long enough for the smell to diminish and now 11??? Years later just smells like Birkin to me

I alternated with days in the sun…. The Doloresmia “scientific thinking” behind this at the time was about leather pores contracting and expanding so it would let the smell out when in sun, kill the smell spores or whatever in the freezer and so forth ….

I figured saddles do fine in inclement weather and I had two smelly bags that year. The second was replaced with no recurrence of smell

Old pic but she still looks and smells this good!

Good luck!

IMG_0207.jpeg

Which country is this please?

US, Naples, Fl
I believe OP found a resolution yesterday, post 3135, in the SPA thread, that the Naples manager would be corrected
(I’m posting the link here for the clarification of others reading this thread). It is my understanding from yet another thread — i dont recall which one— that some stores in Asia do enforce a policy similar to Naples, but this is not the case in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: caruava
Yes, and I hate to admit that I love the bag so much. The smell seems much diminished, so I don't think I'll try to return it. It would be great if H would replace it, but I don't think that's likely here in Naples, Fl.
Also, I do carry my black B most of the time, and the problematic bag is turquoise, so I probably won't carry it that often. I was determined to get a rouge casaque B, and I love it, but I don't carry it very often.

Yes, and I hate to admit that I love the bag so much. The smell seems much diminished, so I don't think I'll try to return it. It would be great if H would replace it, but I don't think that's likely here in Naples, Fl.
I can tell you the smell will not go away, that is wishful thinking. I owned two of these bag, both purchased directly from Hermes and both replaced.

I can tell you the smell will not go away, that is wishful thinking. I owned two of these bag, both purchased directly from Hermes and both replaced.
Not true, as if you happened to see the post about talking with a manager on the 800 number who was very sympathetic about my spa question and offered ro help me in ant way, I didn't even bring the bag up. Also, the bag is pristine, never carried, plastic on, etc. I am NOT a scammer.