Odd leather smell

What other members are trying to tell you is that:
1. The smell is unlikely to go away over time (there was one member who solved the issue herself but that seems to be an exception to the rule),
2. If it’s an authentic bag, H will take in for a spa or repair,
3. The defective bags have been accepted for a repair or replacement in a time ranging from a couple of weeks to a few months in the past, and
4. If the color of your bag has been discontinued, it’d be replaced with a different color.

Ultimately, nobody can tell whether H will repair or replace the bag except for H themselves. The defective batch was sold 9-10 years ago so the repair approach would be likely different now than a few years ago when members were actively taking their bags for an assessment.

I think I read in this thread that H was now refunding the cost of a defective bag at the time of purchase instead of replacing and if that’s the case, proving one is the original buyer could be an important step. Makes sense given the price of the bag has gone up since 2013 (and I’m guessing some might have abused this and got new bags out of H).

Your bag looks beautiful! If you’re not going to return it to the reseller, I’d like to say enjoy using it! Others may not even notice the smell.
That's my plan!

Wow, you've been on PF all of 3 years to my 14 years, and yet you are sure you've got the answers. That was a very rude accusation.
I think I've struck a nerve and it doesn't mean I am wrong.
Perhaps I can have a fresher more perceptive and objective viewpoint.

post 3579 - so you have already involved 'your new darling SA'
interesting that she commented on the physical condition,
did not recognise that it came from the batch of smelly leather
and suggest that Hermes should rectify it

post 3576 - I understand why time is of the essence.
Unless you keep the bag regardless of the smell,
the fastest resolution would seem to be to get a refund from the reseller.
Hermes does not have a reputation for being the fastest mover and your case with Hermes is not straightforward: the issue with this leather dates back some ten years or so - most were recognised and dealt with within a short time frame; you were not the original purchaser who could claim, 'I bought this bag a few weeks ago and notice that it develops this smell' and could reasonably expect the issue to be resolved quickly; Hermes in Paris will have to satisfy itself that the smell you are reporting is from the defective batch of leather, it will have to decide how it proposes to deal with the issue, it will have to communicate back with you, you will have to make a decision and further communications will have to take place.
This uncertainty could go on for a long time and you won't have the bag in your possession.

What is the 'special bag' for which you can't afford to wait one or two years?
Surely it was not this blue one when you already have that gorgeous ostrich you showed us.

I think I've struck a nerve and it doesn't mean I am wrong.
Perhaps I can have a fresher more perceptive and objective viewpoint.

post 3579 - so you have already involved 'your new darling SA'
interesting that she commented on the physical condition,
did not recognise that it came from the batch of smelly leather
and suggest that Hermes should rectify it

post 3576 - I understand why time is of the essence.
Unless you keep the bag regardless of the smell,
the fastest resolution would seem to be to get a refund from the reseller.
Hermes does not have a reputation for being the fastest mover and your case with Hermes is not straightforward: the issue with this leather dates back some ten years or so - most were recognised and dealt with within a short time frame; you were not the original purchaser who could claim, 'I bought this bag a few weeks ago and notice that it develops this smell' and could reasonably expect the issue to be resolved quickly; Hermes in Paris will have to satisfy itself that the smell you are reporting is from the defective batch of leather, it will have to decide how it proposes to deal with the issue, it will have to communicate back with you, you will have to make a decision and further communications will have to take place.
This uncertainty could go on for a long time and you won't have the bag in your possession.

What is the 'special bag' for which you can't afford to wait one or two years?
Surely it was not this blue one when you already have that gorgeous ostrich you showed us.
The SA did acknowledge the smell and knew of the issue, but had to ask her manager. That was when the conversation shifted to using spa service for my other bags in the future, and was told not if purchased from a re seller. That part of the conversation was totally separate from the odoriforous question.

The timing issue was addressed in that I stated I'm 79, and my SA said they get very few B35's, which we all know, as small is in vogue. There truly are no B35s out there in excellent condition in turquoise or bleu atoll, my favorite. Soo, does that explain where I'm coming from??

Reactions: AdidaB
I got a bit of a jolt yesterday when I took the bag to our new H boutique, and not only will they do nothing for me on this bag
What did you mean by "do nothing for me"? What did you mean in earlier posts by "be ethical" and "stand behind it"? These all seem to be expressing a wish or expectation that scans as, give you a new, equivalent bag. This isn't insult, it's simple reading.

To be very clear, what exactly was the remedy from Hermes you were after? Like others, I see this as being on the reseller to remedy, if remedy is sought.

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: cap4life and 880
@sarong13 my advice is the same as others have given although I suspect its not the response you hope for.
please return this bag to the seller.
I am assuming that the odour wasn't mentioned in the listing and therefore based on my assumption (if correct) it means that on those grounds alone you would be entitled to a refund.
Its not a especially rare bag and if you dont get a bag in that exact shade of blue I am certain you could get a shade thats pretty close.
If you DO decide to keep the bag due to the time elapsed since the bags production date I would be extremely surprised if Hermes were to offer you a new bag as exchange especially as the price has risen pretty sharply in that timeframe.
And if they were to do so it certainly wouldn't be in that shade of blue and you would have to pay the difference in price and perhaps wait a couple of years to receive a replacement.
I dont believe that spa would be able to get rid of the smell because it is actually inpregnated into the leather.
I'm sure you well remember the stinky Afghan coats the hippies wore in the 60's and 70's...that weird goaty animal stink never went away no matter how much Patchouli was poured on it (I speak from experience having brought one on Portobello road as a teenager in the mid 70's..my mother threw it away in the end!).
another point to bear in mind is that I believe that the smell becomes stronger when exposed to heat I don't know what climate you live in but if you think you can deal with the smell now could you deal with it sat next to you in an enclosed space like a car in the summer?
Good luck and do let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
Yes, the warm climate will exacerbate the smell. I believe OP may live in Florida since she mentioned taking it to the naples boutique. I definitely caution against keeping it especially given the year. round heat in Florida. All the. best to our OP whatever she ultimately decides to do.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
I wonder if anyone who purchased one of the skunk bags from a reseller was able to get Hermes to stand behind it? I just did, and I love the bag, but am heartbroken this odor will never go away. I have paid about twice the current sales price for each bag I've purchased from a reseller, so it's not a question of some bargain! Sooo, will Hermes be ethical? Thank you for any info.
Hi, I had a skunk bag the previous year, bought via reseller and brought to Hermes after sales. They called me 2 months later and proposed to replace the bag with a different shade. Hope that helps!

i had a charge send pair of suede boots sent to me from H in California. It had a strong musty odor when i opened the box. I was about to return it to my SA but tried to get rid of the smell first by putting baking soda inside the shoe box overnight. The smell went away after that and no more issues after. I love the boots.

Reactions: periogirl28
My husband bought me a black togo Birkin 35 for Christmas 2021 in the Boston store. (We went to the store in March 2021 and talked to the SA from whom I'd made a number of smaller purchases over the years--she called him when the bag of my dreams came in, and he bought it as a surprise). I haven't used the bag much (between Covid and life, there just haven't been as many occasions as I'd thought there would be); it's been stored in a my closet in its box, along with a few other Hermes bags. I'm posting now because when I took it out of the box at the end of the summer, I noticed a strong chemical smell--not the skunk smell, but not the wonderful leather smell I remember from when I first received it. I wasn't sure I wasn't imagining things--but when I compared it to the black Evelyne (in Clemence) that I bought a year and a half ago in Paris, the difference was pronounced. The Evelyne smells like wonderful leather. The Birkin: definitely chemicals. So I brought it in to the Boston store to ask them to evaluate it; they sent it to NY, and after several phone calls last week, I learned that Hermes has found nothing wrong with it, and I'll be able to pick it up in Boston this week. I'm not sure what to make of all this. I know that there have been several postings about a Birkin chemical smell that dissipated (mostly) over time, but I wasn't able to tell if this is a problem that Hermes has ever addressed. I'm wondering if I should just take the bag back, and try to let it air out (perhaps with some charcoal odor absorbers) or if I should ask Hermes to send the bag to Paris for further evaluation. I would LOVE advice from anyone who's encountered the same issue.

I kinda know what you are talking about. Some of the recent batches of bags no longer have that amazing leather scent we recognise from the past. I have personal experience with the skunk bag problem and I am glad to say this doesn't sound like your bag. That one was truly awful and there was no mistaking it. I would try airing your bag out first to see if it improves with time and regular use. If they have really checked it, I doubt if your store would send it to Paris for a second evaluation. I hope this helps and do please keep us updated.

• Insightful
Reactions: calicocat
I kinda know what you are talking about. Some of the recent batches of bags no longer have that amazing leather scent we recognise from the past. I have personal experience with the skunk bag problem and I am glad to say this doesn't sound like your bag. That one was truly awful and there was no mistaking it. I would try airing your bag out first to see if it improves with time and regular use. If they have really checked it, I doubt if your store would send it to Paris for a second evaluation. I hope this helps and do please keep us updated.
This is reassuring--and yes, I'll report back. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

• Thanks
Reactions: periogirl28
Hi, has anyone have issue with chevre leather with musty smell? All my bags are stored in the same cabinet and last week I took them out and I notice the smell and both are only at the chevre leather the rest are fine. Both bags are from 2019. I aired them out and did the baking soda method it did help but still has a bit smell. TIA