Odd leather smell

Not true, as if you happened to see the post about talking with a manager on the 800 number who was very sympathetic about my spa question and offered ro help me in ant way, I didn't even bring the bag up. Also, the bag is pristine, never carried, plastic on, etc. I am NOT a scammer.
Excuse me? I hope you quoted me by mistake. I have no idea what your post means in relation to what I posted.

Is there a reason why you are not returning the bag to the reseller for a refund?
I think it is a mistake not to return the bag to the reseller, esp. bc you paid a premium, but I wish you the best of luck.

If you wish hermes to rectify this situation, I assume that the way to do that would be to obtain a new bag
from Hermes. @WhiteBus stated exactly this in his post above. To my knowledge,
this issue cannot be addressed by SPA.

Last edited:
I think it is a mistake not to return the bag to the reseller, esp. bc you paid a premium, but I wish you the best of luck.

If you wish hermes to rectify this situation, I assume that the way to do that would be to obtain a new bag
from Hermes. @WhiteBus stated exactly this in his post above.
To my knowledge, this issue cannot be addressed by SPA
Well, one of the biggest reasons is that I'm 79 and I told my new darling SA in our new boutique, I was not in a position to wait a year or two for my special bag.

wonder if anyone who purchased one of the skunk bags from a reseller was able to get Hermes to stand behind it? I

will Hermes be ethical? Thank you for any info.
When you state you do not want to wait, it sounds like your ideal scenario is one where Hermes ‘stands behind its product’ and is ‘ethical’ by taking your bag and exchanging it for another? In fact, you mentioned this as an ideal scenario in your post 3565
I think you are going to try and use this to get a brand new bag out of Hermes.
If you do not want to wait, the fastest resolution would be to return to reseller, and repurchase a clean bag elsewhere.
The bag you describe is not a unicorn. Many have tried to give you the best advice based on the fact pattern presented.
Good luck with your bag

When you state you do not want to wait, it sounds like your ideal scenario is one where Hermes ‘stands behind its product’ and is ‘ethical’ by taking your bag and exchanging it for another? In fact, you mentioned this as an ideal scenario in your post 3565

If you do not want to wait, the fastest resolution would be to return to reseller, and repurchase a clean bag elsewhere.
The bag you describe is not a unicorn. Many have tried to give you the best advice based on the fact pattern presented.
Good luck with your bag
I appreciate all the advice, I just did not see the need for someone to suggest something that is not true. I think I should enjoy my bags and not get into all this drama needlessly. My apologies to anyone I inadvertently offended, and I wish you all well.

I appreciate all the advice, I just did not see the need for someone to suggest something that is not true. I think I should enjoy my bags and not get into all this drama needlessly. My apologies to anyone I inadvertently offended, and I wish you all well.
As a foot note, my darling SA said she thought I should keep it, that she knew people who paid more on the re sale market for bags that were in no way as pristine as mine.

What other members are trying to tell you is that:
1. The smell is unlikely to go away over time (there was one member who solved the issue herself but that seems to be an exception to the rule),
2. If it’s an authentic bag, H will take in for a spa or repair,
3. The defective bags have been accepted for a repair or replacement in a time ranging from a couple of weeks to a few months in the past, and
4. If the color of your bag has been discontinued, it’d be replaced with a different color.

Ultimately, nobody can tell whether H will repair or replace the bag except for H themselves. The defective batch was sold 9-10 years ago so the repair approach would be likely different now than a few years ago when members were actively taking their bags for an assessment.

I think I read in this thread that H was now refunding the cost of a defective bag at the time of purchase instead of replacing and if that’s the case, proving one is the original buyer could be an important step. Makes sense given the price of the bag has gone up since 2013 (and I’m guessing some might have abused this and got new bags out of H).

Your bag looks beautiful! If you’re not going to return it to the reseller, I’d like to say enjoy using it! Others may not even notice the smell.

Last edited:
What other members are trying to tell you is that:
1. The smell is unlikely to go away over time (there was one member who solved the issue herself but that seems to be an exception to the rule),
2. If it’s an authentic bag, H will take in for a spa or repair,
3. The defective bags have been accepted for a repair or replacement in a time ranging from a couple of weeks to a few months in the past, and
4. If the color of your bag has been discontinued, it’d be replaced with a different color.

Ultimately, nobody can tell whether H will repair or replace the bag except for H themselves. The defective batch was sold 9-10 years ago so the repair approach would be likely different now than a few years ago when members were actively taking their bags for an assessment.

I think I read in this thread that H was now refunding the cost of a defective bag at the time of purchase instead of replacing and if that’s the case, proving one is the original buyer could be an important step. Makes sense given the price of the bag has gone up since 2013 (and I’m guessing some might have abused this and got new bags out of H).
Probably, and I've decided to just keep the bag rather than go through a lot of aggravation. If the smell remains, and you have to put your nose right on the bag, it would only matter if I wanted to sell the bag at some point. I have no plans to ever sell it, so it doesn't matter.

Probably, and I've decided to just keep the bag rather than go through a lot of aggravation. If the smell remains, and you have to put your nose right on the bag, it would only matter if I wanted to sell the bag at some point. I have no plans to ever sell it, so it doesn't matter.
Additionally, my daughter is deceased, so when I go I don't care what happens to my bags!