Odd leather smell

Again, i really appreciate your response.
May I ask further, who were these members?
Do you recall more details? Thank you!
If you have some time, read through this thread and you will find members who posted their experiences trying to resolve the skunk issue. Some purchased on the resale market, but I no longer recall which members specifically bought through resale. Typically, members bring the bag in question to boutique, the boutique sends it off to Paris to be evaluated and there can be a lengthy wait to hear the determination. If deemed defective, the store will propose some type of resolution, but you will not be guaranteed the exact same color or leather bag if H agrees to replace. The policy may vary as this was an issue for select bags produced several years ago.... not sure how they might propose to handle it currently. I am sorry you have an issue with your bag and hope you are able to resolve it. Again, it will be far simpler for you to get a refund from the seller and start fresh on your search for your dream bag. Best of luck!:smile:

@mariacarla Your best option, as others have stated, is to return the bag to the reseller. It's been at least 8 years since the batch of skunk bags was produced. While in theory Hermes should stand behind their product, you are not the original owner of the bag and it might be difficult for you to get a replacement bag. Return.

@mariacarla, I'm agreeing with everyone else, I'd return the bag! I think it would be risky to keep it not knowing the outcome if you pursue this via Hermes at this point. And, as others have said (I've followed this thread from the start) there is no remedy to remove the smell.

Again, i really appreciate your response.
May I ask further, who were these members?
Do you recall more details? Thank you!
I know it is not the easiest, most user-friendly or intuitive to use, but you would be better to play with the Search function.
Whatever you read about members' successes with returning bags to Hermes from the skunk-smell period, do you really want to go down that route if you can avoid it?
Return it if you can.

Reactions: Jktgal
I returned my bag which was bought directly from the boutique, to my SM. It was within a few weeks of purchase and they accepted it. My experience was a lot smoother and faster than most reported here, but I suspect it's because I am fortunate have a long relationship with the store. In this case I would would advise returning the bag to the seller as well. As the problem lies with the leather tanning process (if I am not wrong) nothing can be done to fix it. Best wishes!

I returned my bag which was bought directly from the boutique, to my SM. It was within a few weeks of purchase and they accepted it. My experience was a lot smoother and faster than most reported here, but I suspect it's because I am fortunate have a long relationship with the store. In this case I would would advise returning the bag to the seller as well. As the problem lies with the leather tanning process (if I am not wrong) nothing can be done to fix it. Best wishes!
I wonder if anyone who purchased one of the skunk bags from a reseller was able to get Hermes to stand behind it? I just did, and I love the bag, but am heartbroken this odor will never go away. I have paid about twice the current sales price for each bag I've purchased from a reseller, so it's not a question of some bargain! Sooo, will Hermes be ethical? Thank you for any info.

Reactions: 880
I wonder if anyone who purchased one of the skunk bags from a reseller was able to get Hermes to stand behind it? I just did, and I love the bag, but am heartbroken this odor will never go away. I have paid about twice the current sales price for each bag I've purchased from a reseller, so it's not a question of some bargain! Sooo, will Hermes be ethical? Thank you for any info.
So sorry to hear about your bag! By chance are you able to return it to the seller? The odor should have been disclosed to any potential buyer, and it would be much simpler to return if possible. Historically, H would sendoff bags to be evaluated in Paris to determine if part of defective batch. If deemed defective, the client might be offered a replacement bag, but not guaranteed to be the same color if it is no longer in production. The wait time for evaluation and replacement might be considerable, so please consider making a return to the seller if you can. Good luck!

I have no personal experience with this as mine was from the country H flagship store. Most of us would likely advise a direct return to the reseller. Very sorry about your situation, I can totally commiserate.

Reactions: WhiteBus
IMO, the issue is that the reseller was unethical and did not disclose. Essentially they passed the problem down to the current recipient who is now in a terrible position through no fault of their own. For the most expeditious outcome, return to the reseller. This was a well known problem for years. If I were in this predicament, I know that I would not want to wait months for Hermes to render a decision while I am both out of pocket and without a bag. if your bag is one that is a discontinued color or leather, you will most likely not be able to get an exact replacement. JMO

I wonder if anyone who purchased one of the skunk bags from a reseller was able to Tim get Hermes to stand behind it? I erjust rom did, and I love the bag, but am heartbroken this odor will never go away. I have paid about twice the current sales price for each bag I've purchased from a er reseller, so it's not a question of some bargain! Sooo, will Hermes be ethical? Thank you for any info.
Yes, bought skunk bag from reseller and Hermes replaced it within 2 weeks. Reseller was not helpful :sad:

Reactions: periogirl28

I read your post yesterday and could see your conundrum.
Having slept on it, the line of responsibility is now clear to me.
The past batch of skunk-smelling hides was a known issue and by many accounts Hermes seems to have dealt with that honourably.

However, your problem is that you have bought one of those defective bags, second-hand, from a reseller.
As the odour problem appears to be so obvious, it would be difficult for the reseller to protest that he/she/it was unaware of it.
You were sold a bag with an undisclosed flaw at a highly inflated price.

Your claim is fair and square against the reseller.
That transaction is the issue, not whether Hermes would be prepared to replace the bag.

@sarong13 - absolutely agree with everyone else and return bag to reseller. Fight it with your CC if you have to.

Just wanted to share I had a smelly bag replaced by H. The replacement bag also smelled. H would have taken it back, but not replaced or something. Do not remember so many years ago. In any case, I put my birkin in the freezer (wrapped in plastic so it would not get damp) for xxx days. It killed the smell. NOTE - I do not endorse this for others and don't want to be accountable for any one else's care decision, just saying it worked in my case. I posted about this years ago.

The B is still one of my favorites and has been well loved by me all these years later. It also has a sentimental connection for me with a dear tPFer who was my H guide all those years ago.

I know a case where someone bought a smelly birkin (stamp R) from a reseller and managed to get a replacement bag from H.

She tried to return the bag to the reseller claiming that it has a smell but they didn’t accept the claim and said they didn’t notice anything when they had it.

Took the bag to a H store and they said it’d be assessed. Because the color was discontinued, she was given an option to choose from like 3 colors. Of course, it had to be the same size and hardware. All of this took a few months.

But this was at least 5-6 years ago and H was still replacing or repairing defective bags at that time (you can check it from this thread). Not sure what the remedy is these days.

Resellers also know about this issue and that’s why often bags with a stamp Q or R are cheaper. My advice to you is don’t be tempted! If it’s too good to be true, it probably isn’t. :sad:

So sorry to hear about your bag! By chance are you able to return it to the seller? The odor should have been disclosed to any potential buyer, and it would be much simpler to return if possible. Historically, H would sendoff bags to be evaluated in Paris to determine if part of defective batch. If deemed defective, the client might be offered a replacement bag, but not guaranteed to be the same color if it is no longer in production. The wait time for evaluation and replacement might be considerable, so please consider making a return to the seller if you can. Good luck!
I got a bit of a jolt yesterday when I took the bag to our new H boutique, and not only will they do nothing for me on this bag, but I was carrying my black B, and asked if I ever wanted to send it to the spa how would that work. I was told no bag bought on the re seller market would be touched by H. Since we had no boutique here until a few months ago, I own four H bags I paid probably double for on the re seller market, as that was my only option. I think this is rather outrageous. Are other members aware of this??
Yes, bought skunk bag from reseller and Hermes replaced it within 2 weeks. Reseller was not helpful :sad:
When was this, as I was told they will not touch any bag bought from a re seller.

• Wow
Reactions: caruava
I got a bit of a jolt yesterday when I took the bag to our new H boutique, and not only will they do nothing for me on this bag, but I was carrying my black B, and asked if I ever wanted to send it to the spa how would that work. I was told no bag bought on the re seller market would be touched by H. Since we had no boutique here until a few months ago, I own four H bags I paid probably double for on the re seller market, as that was my only option. I think this is rather outrageous. Are other members aware of this??

When was this, as I was told they will not touch any bag bought from a re seller.
Which country is this please?