Odd leather smell

Hi i have the same dilemma, bought a rouge vif birkin togo in Q stamp from a reseller and it smells of weed. I’ve tried using baking soda in a cup in the bag and it seems to have helped with the smell but I have not gotten down to a out in the sun skunk test. Made an appointment with my local boutique but I’m not optimistic because it was bought from a reseller and it’s been so long since. Anyone tried the baking soda method? Weather is cool my side so the “pot” smell seems to have gone, but concerned with past feedback that it never goes away. Very sad about the situation it’s my favourite red

Last edited:
Hi all. I recently bought a bag from the H Boutique end of August. B30 in togo. I have opened it a few times just to stare at it and try it on around the house it never smelt of beautiful leather like everyone says it does.. had almost no scent.. but a month after the purchase i took it out to finally use it... and it smells like... rat poo? rat piss? (no skunks in australia- I wouldn't know) can't explain the smell but it's unpleasant. it's not extruding but when it's held close you can smell it up close..only on the base panel of the bag.

what should I do? it seems all the issues were from 2014... etc.. not recent ..but this is a brand new purchase from the store.

I don't think an expensive handbag should smell that way? doesn't even smell like 'heaven' as others would describe. I don't want to piss my SA off in any way...stock is scarce in australia and I'm so appreciative... but it smells.

don't think an expensive handbag should smell that way? doesn't even smell like 'heaven' as others would describe. I don't want to piss my SA off in any way...stock is scarce in australia and I'm so appreciative... but it smells.

You must be very disappointed or disillusioned but this is completely the wrong attitude.
You spent thousands of dollars on something you are not happy with and you don't want to piss of your SA!
You are dissatisfied, if your SA is any good, he or she would want to know about it so that he or she can sort it out. Your SA should want you to be a returning client and you have got to be honest.
One assumes you have already spent a large amount with your SA and would continue to do so.
Raising the issue on a public forum is not going to sort it out - other than tell you to do what you already know you should be doing.

Definitely would recommend bringing it back to your SA. As someone who had brought back 1 and kept 1, I definitely regret not bringing both back. I'm at the point where I'd feel ridiculous to even ask if it can be replaced from years ago lol. So def do it sooner rather than later or thinking it's not that bad- I can't use my bag in warm weather because it exacerbates the smell.

I have had this issue sorted out to everyone's satisfaction, in fact I was more than happy with the outcome. I don't seem to have p*55ed off my SA (or SM) as she still helps me now, a few years later. It's just a matter of how it is presented. I am just curious why the bottom panel was still made from defective old stock leather, after all this time and trouble for both Hermes and customers. I wish you good luck for a happy outcome.

Reactions: carlinha
My 2 cents...I had 2 bags (clemence lindy and togo birkin) and 3 belts during this era that were affected by the leather issue. It was stressful but I took all of them back (at various times.) Before the issue was known and vetted, it was terrible, but once H acknowledged and made staff aware of the issue, it was resolved in a straightforward and satisfactory manner. There will be knowledge on H management side (perhaps not your boutique though) and just explain the circumstances. They process is that they send the item (bag or belt or wallet) to Paris for testing and if it "fails" the heat test then it is replaced with the same or like item.

Don't keep the defective items. Hermes is aware of the issue and should be able to rectify it.

Good luck.

Help! This just happened to me. I bought a bag in pristine condition with plastic still on hardware and fresh ribbon on a box from a reseller… a q stamped kelly 35 in black togo… two days later I noticed a distinctive skunk smell.
It’s cold where I am now. I can’t imagine how it must be in summer. No wonder the previous owner never used it.
I would like to keep it. Is there any hope for me? What would hermes boutique say or suggest? Can anyone, please let me know?
Thank you!

Does it mean there is absolutely nothing that can be done? Thank you for your answer
Nothing will remove the skunk smell, but if deemed defective by H, some type of replacements were offered to those who had a legit issue with their bags. I would return to seller. This odor should have been disclosed. It was a known problem with a certain batch of bags years ago. Good luck!

Nothing will remove the skunk smell, but if deemed defective by H, some type of replacements were offered to those who had a legit issue with their bags. I would return to seller. This odor should have been disclosed. It was a known problem with a certain batch of bags years ago. Good luck!
Thank you very much for this information.
My further question is what if the bag was not purchased in the boutique but a reseller? Would hermes still be able to honor the fact that their product is faulty? After all, it is their product.

Thank you very much for this information.
My further question is what if the bag was not purchased in the boutique but a reseller? Would hermes still be able to honor the fact that their product is faulty? After all, it is their product.
Yes, members here have been able to bring in bags to be evaluated that were not purchased at the boutique, but I highly recommend returning it to seller to make the process much simpler for you.