Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

Today was the day that I finally bit the bullet and rehomed my into the canadian wild. This one was a long time coming. it's one of those designs that suck me in over the immensely cute critters and the lovely details but there's just too much going on colorwise and also too many things I need to strategically hide (butterflies... eek). and then the CW probably wasn't the one I would have chosen for myself but I happened to find it in an airport boutique and jumped on the opportunity. I'm glad that I had it, I've worn it 19 times and I managed to sell it for what I bought it for, making my final cost per wear 0 :biggrin:
The reason I'm selling it now is that with my new tapis de selle, my coral/pink/green gap has been taken up and my collection looks suddenly way more cohesive now.
Here's the gang as it is right now:
Pasted Graphic 4 2.png

and here's the ones who found a new home.

Note to self. DONT BUY ORANGE SCARVES :lol::rolleyes: I don't know how many more times I need to learn that lesson... the lettres gav is ok though, it reads more apricot due to the color mix, which is fine.
Pasted Graphic 6.png

Also easy on the CSGMs, I don't reach for them enough to warrant the $$$

Pasted Graphic 5.png

Today was the day that I finally bit the bullet and rehomed my into the canadian wild. This one was a long time coming. it's one of those designs that suck me in over the immensely cute critters and the lovely details but there's just too much going on colorwise and also too many things I need to strategically hide (butterflies... eek). and then the CW probably wasn't the one I would have chosen for myself but I happened to find it in an airport boutique and jumped on the opportunity. I'm glad that I had it, I've worn it 19 times and I managed to sell it for what I bought it for, making my final cost per wear 0 :biggrin:
The reason I'm selling it now is that with my new tapis de selle, my coral/pink/green gap has been taken up and my collection looks suddenly way more cohesive now.
View attachment 5072180

Note to self. DONT BUY ORANGE SCARVES :lol::rolleyes: I don't know how many more times I need to learn that lesson... the lettres gav is ok though, it reads more apricot due to the color mix, which is fine.
View attachment 5072182

View attachment 5072181
Wow, gorgeous collection! I admire your thoughtfulness and purpose in building (and trimming) your collection. I hear you on the orange scarves - so tempting, but they never work for me either. The orangey-coral "corail" color works if it is generously interspersed with "my colors", that's as far as I've successfully gone so far. The pinky-coral color of your Tapis de Selle is just divine!

View attachment 5072180

View attachment 5072182

View attachment 5072181
Amazing job!! I am inspired by you and your thoughtfulness with how to curate. Congratulations on being able to re-home. I always admire people who can do it! I will be re-homing soon I hope. I think I will be re-homing pastels of all things ( but not my new into the Canadian Wild pastel). I have many all light blue I never reach for. And I think I don’t like all light pink scarves either. They are too bland on me and too bland of a design. Similar to you, I also can’t stand orange IN many scarves, though it is a favorite color of mine. I have put on so many scarves and not purchased them just because there was some orange ( or bright yellow) in it that ruins it for me. Though I love an all orange scarf like orange la femme. My SA gets very frustrated with me for my weird thoughts on orange and yellow in potential scarf purchases she has held for me lol.
I also agree with you on CGSM’s not being used enough for the cost, For me. I have 5 that I wore a combined 11 times this fall/winter And all purchased in 2020.

Amazing job!! I am inspired by you and your thoughtfulness with how to curate. Congratulations on being able to re-home. I always admire people who can do it! I will be re-homing soon I hope. I think I will be re-homing pastels of all things ( but not my new into the Canadian Wild pastel). I have many all light blue I never reach for. And I think I don’t like all light pink scarves either. They are too bland on me and too bland of a design. Similar to you, I also can’t stand orange IN many scarves, though it is a favorite color of mine. I have put on so many scarves and not purchased them just because there was some orange ( or bright yellow) in it that ruins it for me. Though I love an all orange scarf like orange la femme. My SA gets very frustrated with me for my weird thoughts on orange and yellow in potential scarf purchases she has held for me lol.
I also agree with you on CGSM’s not being used enough for the cost, For me. I have 5 that I wore a combined 11 times this fall/winter And all purchased in 2020.

I'm with you on the light blues. My 2 "scarf on site" touristy scarves are both almost the same pale blue. Lovely scarves, almost never get worn, but have sentimental value.

And I don't wear yellow or orange, or yellow gold, so while say, the Légende de la Forêt is an incredible scarf in the blue or black colorways, I just couldn't do it. The poor SA: "it looks spectacular on you." Me: "yes, but yellow." Her: :cursing:

I actually do wear my cashmeres (mostly 100s) more often (per scarf) than my silks. Part of that is that I have too many silks, so rotating through silks means fewer wears per scarf than rotating through my many fewer cashmeres. Also, I think I wear the cashmeres more for function ("I'm cold! grab that shawl!") and the silks for aesthetics which is a more conscious and therefore less frequent choice. (Someday I will leave the house again...)

thanks!! yeah, agree on all pastels - I think you need a particular (low contrast) coloring to pull it off well. I have my one vintage la reale, and it has only 1 "look" (basically I wear it with white and soft pink or light grey and that's it). I probably need a bit more contrast in my scarves. I actually also really like orange as well as yellow but it's very specific shades. for example the ActeIII shawl had amazing yellow in one corner (with that paravent thingy) but then the patterned color was a more acid yellow and I couldn't stand it. I find that H sometimes mixes in odd colors that somehow ruin the whole harmony, other times it gives the composition some extra jazz.. my problem with CSGMs is also they show wear much easier. don't think I have one without a pull and the pilling also starts at some point (not the same in every model tho I found). I'm not saying I won't buy any more CSGMs tho, I can imagine owning a nice dark green or darker purple model, but the right one needs to come along and my trigger level needs to be elevated vs silks.
I'm with you on the light blues. My 2 "scarf on site" touristy scarves are both almost the same pale blue. Lovely scarves, almost never get worn, but have sentimental value.

And I don't wear yellow or orange, or yellow gold, so while say, the Légende de la Forêt is an incredible scarf in the blue or black colorways, I just couldn't do it. The poor SA: "it looks spectacular on you." Me: "yes, but yellow." Her: :cursing:

I actually do wear my cashmeres (mostly 100s) more often (per scarf) than my silks. Part of that is that I have too many silks, so rotating through silks means fewer wears per scarf than rotating through my many fewer cashmeres. Also, I think I wear the cashmeres more for function ("I'm cold! grab that shawl!") and the silks for aesthetics which is a more conscious and therefore less frequent choice. (Someday I will leave the house again...)
same here, I also have much higher wears for the cashmeres for the same reason. but because the initial price you need to wear them more to get to the same cost per wear. they are a dream for a cool office or on an airplane though. I have decided that my maharani recadré will be the one that I won't baby too much and will use much more liberally for functional purposes since it has a lot of snags already anyways :biggrin: oh and I love 100s, much easier to work with in terms of fabric load!

Jan @ it’s all Goode is one of us

@sdsurfchick
As we all do most likely, ie buy scarves we for some reason would rather let go, so have I. Loving blues, but too many the wrong shades have crept into my closet, nearly all bought off EBay before it was flooded with Japanese resales at hugely inflated prices. This spring I’ve sold ten scarves with our country’s most upmarket antiques dealer, who for the last years has had special H auctions. I mostly sold at estimated values set by the auction house. Moneywise, I lost roughly half of the value I’d bought for, but I was so relieved to get rid of these mistakes - besides I see the buys as sunk cost so I came out a winner anyway. I couldn’t be bothered to set myself up as a seller on EBay - too much hassle. I will try to repeat this process once more before Christmas.

Fantastic idea!! Assuming you are in the States .. would you be able to share with us this dealer please? Many thanks.

As we all do most likely, ie buy scarves we for some reason would rather let go, so have I. Loving blues, but too many the wrong shades have crept into my closet, nearly all bought off EBay before it was flooded with Japanese resales at hugely inflated prices. This spring I’ve sold ten scarves with our country’s most upmarket antiques dealer, who for the last years has had special H auctions. I mostly sold at estimated values set by the auction house. Moneywise, I lost roughly half of the value I’d bought for, but I was so relieved to get rid of these mistakes - besides I see the buys as sunk cost so I came out a winner anyway. I couldn’t be bothered to set myself up as a seller on EBay - too much hassle. I will try to repeat this process once more before Christmas.

Hmmm, good idea, thank you.

Reactions: eliwon
Fantastic idea!! Assuming you are in the States .. would you be able to share with us this dealer please? Many thanks.
Sorry, I’m in Northern Europe, but I bet there will be reliable auction houses in big cities in the US. The expert I was assigned to was a Russian lady with huge H competence, and who very meticulously inspected my scarves in situ and suggested an entry price for each scarf. After the auction I got a detailed invoice showing me descriptions and final bids, and the money was in my bank account two weeks after the finished auction. Best of luck finding one that’ll work for you

Yeah- this one kind of takes you that way, I think. First you are like "I need ONE because it's fab". Then after that you hurry right over to "This is so nice I think I should get another just in case they sell out (or something)". Then you head directly from there to "I did a thing...." :roflmfao:
In all seriousness, on this topic… I’m curious for opinions of those who have been collecting Hermes scarves for awhile (I just started this year, was gifted my first one maybe 7 years ago but until recently never had the urge to buy my own).

How much do you try to balance loving a design and getting it in multiple colorways, vs. branching out? (I know we just had a multiples theme!) Same question perhaps for gravitating to a specific/consistent color scheme, even across designs. I’m finding that I really like a few of the current designs such as Robe Legere or Lanternes, and wondering how slippery this slope can be…

Sorry if this is off-topic here!

In all seriousness, on this topic… I’m curious for opinions of those who have been collecting Hermes scarves for awhile (I just started this year, was gifted my first one maybe 7 years ago but until recently never had the urge to buy my own).

How much do you try to balance loving a design and getting it in multiple colorways, vs. branching out? (I know we just had a multiples theme!) Same question perhaps for gravitating to a specific/consistent color scheme, even across designs. I’m finding that I really like a few of the current designs such as Robe Legere or Lanternes, and wondering how slippery this slope can be…

There's a couple of good threads to discuss this kind of thing so I won't go too far off topic here, and I'll quote you and move the question there. But know that you are not at all alone in these thing you ponder! I think these thoughts pass through all our heads (mine at least once a day :lol: )

Here's one from @turfnsurf (We miss seeing you here turf!) :

The longest one I know of, and where I will comment since I haven't commented there in a long time! :P

There's a couple of good threads to discuss this kind of thing so I won't go too far off topic here, and I'll quote you and move the question there. But know that you are not at all alone in these thing you ponder! I think these thoughts pass through all our heads (mine at least once a day :lol: )

Here's one from @turfnsurf (We miss seeing you here turf!) :

The longest one I know of, and where I will comment since I haven't commented there in a long time! :P

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Reactions: bunnycat

Here's a great question from @greycity over in SOTD and it seems like it may be ripe for some convo again so I'll give my (current) answer here.

Multiple colorways was definitely a slippery slope for me. At first, I had a hard "no multiples" rule. Then it got "bent" to no multiples in the same format. Then Jaguar Quetzal came along, and I literally spent months second guessing the original purchase with a second colorway. This was before 90cm scarves were over $400 and so I ended up getting 2 colorways.

My second time I second and third guessed myself was Zebra Pegasus giant triangle from last year. Although I still like my (eventual) choice of the pink colorway, there is a little part of me that still wishes I went with the vermillion. Sadly, the price was self limiting and my budget just wouldn't allow 2 of those at the time (maybe I'll find a deal one day on the vermillion, who knows...)

That brings me to Chorus Stellarum and the C'est la Fete connundrum. For me, with C'est la Fete and having missed the CW I would have been most happy with in the original release I ended up with a second choice I found preloved. Then, not liking the colors or price on the double sided re-release, I passed on that. So when I saw CS, which is (to me) just a good a design or better then ClaF, I knew I had to have at least one. Once I had it in my hand, I knew I had to have 2....then can't get my mind off the 3rd. But I've bought and re-homed a number of scarves now over the years to know when something is likely to "stick" with me for a good long time, and CS definitely sets off those buzzers in my head! :biggrin: Not many scarves do that, and this is ONLY one I have ever fallen for 3 in the same season.

Now, this isn't the only scarf I have 3 of...remember I said Jaguar Questzel. Well, after I got the 2 silks, and they matched 2 of my cats so well, I had to get a 3rd for my beloved Finnegan (avatar), who was the third in that trio of cats. He passed away in July, and I bought the giant cashmere in his colors as a commemorative to him back in February, when we received the diagnosis on his heart. So now I have 3 Jaguar Quetzal too, just not all in the same season.

Right now, you've just started. You don't know yet what will hold your attention long term. You won't know what keeps you happy long term without some sort of exploration. Sometimes, that may mean more than one of something you love. It's easy to do. You get more picky as the numbers pile up, and suddenly you have 50 scarves and you're like wooooah there doggies! Then it is cull or keep, which one to do? Buckle down, buy less?

After a few seasons of this, I think you'll start to see a pattern with what you are drawn too, what you consistently like, and what is passing fancy. Neither are wrong impulses to make a purchase on IMO, and fine to also recognize a purchase may be a passing fancy (those I try to limit to one only). But it's a skill I think would be hard to have right off the bat, and more likely acquired over time.`

As for color schemes- personally, I wish H would quit it and go back to choosing colors to fit the scarf rather than their themes. It makes for better designs.

Last edited:

Very, very slippery… :dog: