Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

blydia

Dec 15, 2017
Today was the day that I finally bit the bullet and rehomed my into the canadian wild. This one was a long time coming. it's one of those designs that suck me in over the immensely cute critters and the lovely details but there's just too much going on colorwise and also too many things I need to strategically hide (butterflies... eek). and then the CW probably wasn't the one I would have chosen for myself but I happened to find it in an airport boutique and jumped on the opportunity. I'm glad that I had it, I've worn it 19 times and I managed to sell it for what I bought it for, making my final cost per wear 0 :biggrin:
The reason I'm selling it now is that with my new tapis de selle, my coral/pink/green gap has been taken up and my collection looks suddenly way more cohesive now.
Here's the gang as it is right now:
Pasted Graphic 4 2.png

and here's the ones who found a new home.

Note to self. DONT BUY ORANGE SCARVES :lol::rolleyes: I don't know how many more times I need to learn that lesson... the lettres gav is ok though, it reads more apricot due to the color mix, which is fine.
Pasted Graphic 6.png

Also easy on the CSGMs, I don't reach for them enough to warrant the $$$

Pasted Graphic 5.png

Langsam

Jan 28, 2017
Today was the day that I finally bit the bullet and rehomed my into the canadian wild. This one was a long time coming. it's one of those designs that suck me in over the immensely cute critters and the lovely details but there's just too much going on colorwise and also too many things I need to strategically hide (butterflies... eek). and then the CW probably wasn't the one I would have chosen for myself but I happened to find it in an airport boutique and jumped on the opportunity. I'm glad that I had it, I've worn it 19 times and I managed to sell it for what I bought it for, making my final cost per wear 0 :biggrin:
The reason I'm selling it now is that with my new tapis de selle, my coral/pink/green gap has been taken up and my collection looks suddenly way more cohesive now.
View attachment 5072180

Note to self. DONT BUY ORANGE SCARVES :lol::rolleyes: I don't know how many more times I need to learn that lesson... the lettres gav is ok though, it reads more apricot due to the color mix, which is fine.
View attachment 5072182

View attachment 5072181
Wow, gorgeous collection! I admire your thoughtfulness and purpose in building (and trimming) your collection. I hear you on the orange scarves - so tempting, but they never work for me either. The orangey-coral "corail" color works if it is generously interspersed with "my colors", that's as far as I've successfully gone so far. The pinky-coral color of your Tapis de Selle is just divine!

Nomad

Jul 23, 2020
View attachment 5072180

View attachment 5072182

View attachment 5072181
Amazing job!! I am inspired by you and your thoughtfulness with how to curate. Congratulations on being able to re-home. I always admire people who can do it! I will be re-homing soon I hope. I think I will be re-homing pastels of all things ( but not my new into the Canadian Wild pastel). I have many all light blue I never reach for. And I think I don’t like all light pink scarves either. They are too bland on me and too bland of a design. Similar to you, I also can’t stand orange IN many scarves, though it is a favorite color of mine. I have put on so many scarves and not purchased them just because there was some orange ( or bright yellow) in it that ruins it for me. Though I love an all orange scarf like orange la femme. My SA gets very frustrated with me for my weird thoughts on orange and yellow in potential scarf purchases she has held for me lol.
I also agree with you on CGSM’s not being used enough for the cost, For me. I have 5 that I wore a combined 11 times this fall/winter And all purchased in 2020.

FizzyWater

Mar 28, 2017
Amazing job!! I am inspired by you and your thoughtfulness with how to curate. Congratulations on being able to re-home. I always admire people who can do it! I will be re-homing soon I hope. I think I will be re-homing pastels of all things ( but not my new into the Canadian Wild pastel). I have many all light blue I never reach for. And I think I don’t like all light pink scarves either. They are too bland on me and too bland of a design. Similar to you, I also can’t stand orange IN many scarves, though it is a favorite color of mine. I have put on so many scarves and not purchased them just because there was some orange ( or bright yellow) in it that ruins it for me. Though I love an all orange scarf like orange la femme. My SA gets very frustrated with me for my weird thoughts on orange and yellow in potential scarf purchases she has held for me lol.
I also agree with you on CGSM’s not being used enough for the cost, For me. I have 5 that I wore a combined 11 times this fall/winter And all purchased in 2020.
I'm with you on the light blues. My 2 "scarf on site" touristy scarves are both almost the same pale blue. Lovely scarves, almost never get worn, but have sentimental value.

And I don't wear yellow or orange, or yellow gold, so while say, the Légende de la Forêt is an incredible scarf in the blue or black colorways, I just couldn't do it. The poor SA: "it looks spectacular on you." Me: "yes, but yellow." Her: :cursing:

I actually do wear my cashmeres (mostly 100s) more often (per scarf) than my silks. Part of that is that I have too many silks, so rotating through silks means fewer wears per scarf than rotating through my many fewer cashmeres. Also, I think I wear the cashmeres more for function ("I'm cold! grab that shawl!") and the silks for aesthetics which is a more conscious and therefore less frequent choice. (Someday I will leave the house again...)

blydia

Dec 15, 2017
thanks!! yeah, agree on all pastels - I think you need a particular (low contrast) coloring to pull it off well. I have my one vintage la reale, and it has only 1 "look" (basically I wear it with white and soft pink or light grey and that's it). I probably need a bit more contrast in my scarves. I actually also really like orange as well as yellow but it's very specific shades. for example the ActeIII shawl had amazing yellow in one corner (with that paravent thingy) but then the patterned color was a more acid yellow and I couldn't stand it. I find that H sometimes mixes in odd colors that somehow ruin the whole harmony, other times it gives the composition some extra jazz.. my problem with CSGMs is also they show wear much easier. don't think I have one without a pull and the pilling also starts at some point (not the same in every model tho I found). I'm not saying I won't buy any more CSGMs tho, I can imagine owning a nice dark green or darker purple model, but the right one needs to come along and my trigger level needs to be elevated vs silks.
I'm with you on the light blues. My 2 "scarf on site" touristy scarves are both almost the same pale blue. Lovely scarves, almost never get worn, but have sentimental value.

And I don't wear yellow or orange, or yellow gold, so while say, the Légende de la Forêt is an incredible scarf in the blue or black colorways, I just couldn't do it. The poor SA: "it looks spectacular on you." Me: "yes, but yellow." Her: :cursing:

I actually do wear my cashmeres (mostly 100s) more often (per scarf) than my silks. Part of that is that I have too many silks, so rotating through silks means fewer wears per scarf than rotating through my many fewer cashmeres. Also, I think I wear the cashmeres more for function ("I'm cold! grab that shawl!") and the silks for aesthetics which is a more conscious and therefore less frequent choice. (Someday I will leave the house again...)
same here, I also have much higher wears for the cashmeres for the same reason. but because the initial price you need to wear them more to get to the same cost per wear. they are a dream for a cool office or on an airplane though. I have decided that my maharani recadré will be the one that I won't baby too much and will use much more liberally for functional purposes since it has a lot of snags already anyways :biggrin: oh and I love 100s, much easier to work with in terms of fabric load!