Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

Super excited for more scarf mail in about a week. I'm realizing that I'm much more apt to wear secondhand Hermes scarves than new ones, and I also like washing and freshening up the secondhand ones. Here are two of my latest acquisitions:
Brides de Gala Tattoo with bee motifs (Abeille) - how does tattoo differ from true jacquard?
Le Jardin de la Maharani - haven't worn this one yet, can't wait to try out the neutrals in it.
IMG_7853.JPG

Doing a closet pruning today, not really getting rid of much but airing out items that have been folded away, taking stock of what can be worn more often, etc. These are two of my current favorites, both purchased secondhand online and using the wisdom all of you are willing to share! Coupe de Gala wash and On a Summer Day. It's interesting to see how similar these are with blues, oranges/yellows, and black.
View attachment 4457407
On a summers day, what colour is the border? The steely blues with peach is a great combo!:flowers:

Super excited for more scarf mail in about a week. I'm realizing that I'm much more apt to wear secondhand Hermes scarves than new ones, and I also like washing and freshening up the secondhand ones. Here are two of my latest acquisitions:
Brides de Gala Tattoo with bee motifs (Abeille) - how does tattoo differ from true jacquard?
Le Jardin de la Maharani - haven't worn this one yet, can't wait to try out the neutrals in it.
View attachment 4475921
The tattoo refers to the fact that the design is printed in just 2 colors. The bee motifs are jacquard.

Congrats! Looking forward to you sharing pix on scarf of the day when you wear them.

On a summers day, what colour is the border? The steely blues with peach is a great combo!:flowers:
Solid black border - it's a really great scarf for complementing black/navy/khaki outfits. I got lucky finding this one! Nigel Peake has lovely designs.

The tattoo refers to the fact that the design is printed in just 2 colors. The bee motifs are jacquard.
Thank you for clarifying this for me! The BdG Abeille then is my first jacquard. I've worn this one with jeans and t-shirts and despite the seeming formality of the jacquard, the navy and white make it very casual overall if needed.

One piece of scarf mail is here early! This was a lucky find, and the process of refreshing it with a gentle bath is, as MaiTai described in her wonderful posts/blog, relaxing and restorative both to the scarf and to me.

Annie Faivre's Tresors Retrouvés in chocolat/rouge cuit/gris (I think)

IMG_7872.JPG IMG_7873.JPG

Not a single drop of excess stain on the Shout color catcher. This worked out well!

Last edited:
One piece of scarf mail is here early! This was a lucky find, and the process of refreshing it with a gentle bath is, as MaiTai described in her wonderful posts/blog, relaxing and restorative both to the scarf and to me.

Annie Faivre's Tresors Retrouvés in chocolat/rouge cuit/gris (I think)

View attachment 4480401 View attachment 4480402

Not a single drop of excess stain on the Shout color catcher. This worked out well!

Congratulations. It's fab. How will this fit in with your current collection?

Just a note to all cleaning scarves thread is here: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/cleaning-hermes-scarves.37705/page-60

This thread is devoted to editing and curating, TY

Congratulations. It's fab. How will this fit in with your current collection?
Whoops - mea culpa. Mods, please feel free to move my post over to the appropriate thread. This particular scarf is going to be useful as we transition into cooler weather, as it will be the first scarf I have with a primarily brown background, useful for fall I think. I contemplated, some time ago, Feuilles d'Automne with a brown background for this purpose, but did not get it. I also like Annie Faivre designs a lot. I had L'Atlantide but consigned it. I'm looking forward to rebuilding my small collection of her pieces.

Last edited:
hi everyone,
does anyone have modeling pics of Carnaval des Oiseaux in rose/pink colorway?i am yet to have experience with 140cm scarves and only have 90cm. Is large size easier to handle?

I'm sure differing opinions exist but I personally do not like the 140 scarves - it's simply too much silk to handle, most of which ended up in thick annoying bunches around my neck in the knots that I favor. The giant triangles (which are basically 140 scarves halved) are a bit better but not much. If you have never tried 140s I strongly recommend you try them out in a store before committing funds.

hi everyone,
does anyone have modeling pics of Carnaval des Oiseaux in rose/pink colorway?i am yet to have experience with 140cm scarves and only have 90cm. Is large size easier to handle?

oh! good to know!
which is your/everyone favorite size?
i have 90s and twillies and very happy with them. Do gavroches less "practical"?
Well, my two cents is that the 140cm are beautiful and vibrant and such a substantial and dramatic size but I found them very difficult to work with. I don’t know if the fact that I’m 5’2” had to do with the feeling of being engulfed by the fabric, but I just found them so hard to tie! It’s like draping a blanket around my neck. As far as the gavroches, I own three and they are so adorable, but I find not reaching for them much. Maybe it’s that I need to practice more. And I’ve seen some people tie two gavs together in the cutest knots so I’ve yet to try that. I live in a hot, damp, tropical climate and it may seem contradictory, but the knots that I’ve tried with gavroches are so close to my neck that, while there is less fabric, it has felt more constricting and stifling... I’m sure that my opinions and traumas could change with more practice with these formats

Last edited:
I'm sure differing opinions exist but I personally do not like the 140 scarves - it's simply too much silk to handle, most of which ended up in thick annoying bunches around my neck in the knots that I favor. The giant triangles (which are basically 140 scarves halved) are a bit better but not much. If you have never tried 140s I strongly recommend you try them out in a store before committing funds.
@m45ha I like the 140s generally, but am not a big fan of the summer silk (which is now apparently the only weight they are going to use for 140s). To me it feels slippery and not at all luxurious, like the twill 140s. I agree that you need to play with some 140s in the boutique!

Any time :smile: I am very fair and while I am generally very good about applying and reapplying facial sunscreen, sometimes it is easier to just cover up my arms and shoulders...

I may have not expressed my thinking clearly. When I hear that the summer weight will be the only one used for 140s, I assume it is because it is lighter and thus easier to handle for many people. But that is surprising since the cashmere scarves are so popular that people are clearly not afraid to wear larger scarves that are thicker / warmer scarves. I am not sure if that is even a valid theory.

Ahh! I see your point! Sorry, I must have read it wrong. :flowers:Yes, I agree the heavier weights were perfect IMHO, very easy to wear and it “stayed in place”. The summer twill is more “work”, you must either tie it or use a scarf ring to keep it in place. I never understood why they change what I perceive to be a good style or fabric, the maxi twilly is another great example, I thought the original length was perfect. Why do they change?:shrugs:I hope someone has additional information on this subject. :flowers:

I have tried all the difffernt types of 140cm silks and unlike most here I prefer the Summer silk weight.I wouldn’t see a 140 silk as Winter wear in UK anyway.
The heavier silk 140cm had all the warmth of cashmere without the ease and cosines, they looked weird with a heavier weight coat too.
I see the lighter format as a piece to wear in the manner of a mousseline, à drift of silk worn in a wafty way, so maybe less of a daytime workwear piece.
I like the fact Hermès are constantly honing their offerings, there’s always the secondary market for finding retired formats and the thrill of finding a new format that really works is such fun.

I am 5’6’’, and I also find 140s a lot of fabric to work with. I can’t really wear them as a normal scarf with, say, a dress — I can theoretically use a shawl ring, but still... so much freaking fabric to handle. I can do a 140 mousseline ok, since it’s a lot less fabric really. But yeah, for ‘normal’ scarf wear, a 90cm is my preferred format.

However, I have been looking for more silk twill 140s as I have found I reach for them all the time on airplanes in the summer. I travel a lot, and while in the winter I usually have a cardigan or some such I can wear on the plane, in the summer, I would rather pack a silk shawl. I will also wear it in an Uber, in an air conditioned office, etc. I also like it for sun coverage when running out for, say, a coffee when I am too lazy to put on body sunscreen. These are pretty specific use cases though.

Wait, will they really do that? That is so weird, considering how many people buy the cashmere ones, and those are much thicker to begin with.

I don’t mind the summer weight, it feels less unwieldy to handle.
All good reasons to use the 140 silks in the summer.
To me it seems odd for a fall/winter collection to include lightweight silks in designs like Carnaval des Oiseaux. Winter? Maybe in Florida, LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Julide and AnnaE
Ahh! I see your point! Sorry, I must have read it wrong. :flowers:Yes, I agree the heavier weights were perfect IMHO, very easy to wear and it “stayed in place”. The summer twill is more “work”, you must either tie it or use a scarf ring to keep it in place. I never understood why they change what I perceive to be a good style or fabric, the maxi twilly is another great example, I thought the original length was perfect. Why do they change?:shrugs:I hope someone has additional information on this subject. :flowers:

Ha you and I share strong feelings for the original MT. So good. I can see how many people found it too long though... I usually do a dramatic bow or wrap it around my waist, obi-style, but perhaps for a ‘regular’ Hermes scarf buyer, that was too much. I just wish there had been more original MT designs for me to hunt down.

I have tried all the difffernt types of 140cm silks and unlike most here I prefer the Summer silk weight.I wouldn’t see a 140 silk as Winter wear in UK anyway.
The heavier silk 140cm had all the warmth of cashmere without the ease and cosines, they looked weird with a heavier weight coat too.
I see the lighter format as a piece to wear in the manner of a mousseline, à drift of silk worn in a wafty way, so maybe less of a daytime workwear piece.
I like the fact Hermès are constantly honing their offerings, there’s always the secondary market for finding retired formats and the thrill of finding a new format that really works is such fun.

I do enjoy new formats myself, although I also enjoy complaining about retired older formats :smile:

I can actually do silk 140s with warm coats... I have several Max Mara cashmere coats for the winter (well, not for say a Chicago winter), and I often wrap a 140 around me for extra warmth around my neck. That is the most worn winter look for me. I haven’t done that with a summer weight one though.

I do have winter coats in all weights / levels of warmth (used to live on the East Coast and travel a lot), and I don’t see a problem with matching 140s with any of them, as long as I am fine going for the Patagonia-Hermes look in some cases. I would be curious what your thoughts are there, maybe I am committing a terrible fashion faux pas?

All good reasons to use the 140 silks in the summer.
To me it seems odd for a fall/winter collection to include lightweight silks in designs like Carnaval des Oiseaux. Winter? Maybe in Florida, LOL.

Well, if they are switching to that weight, why not do it now, I guess? I will say that while there is a standard definition of a sartorial winter collection, when all the warm things in dark colors are made, many of us have different needs. There is an entire Southern Hemisphere that will be experiencing summer; even the Northern Hemisphere has plenty of warmer areas, I am in California, for instance. I am also likely to travel to warmer places. And they start selling the collection in July... they only have 4 silk 140s compared to all the cashmere offerings, so I can see why they want to do something for those of us who need / want something other than cashmere.