Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

as I am fine going for the Patagonia-Hermes look in some cases. I would be curious what your thoughts are there, co
hi AnnaE - I say wear it exactly how you like it with whatever you like!! It’s hard to make a mistake with our gorgeous scarves, and if you like it and feel good in it go for it! I worried at first about that, but now I tie them how I want, wear casual to dressy, and don’t give a flip what anyone thinks. They are still my most complemented pieces, by a wide range of people. So I’m glad you go for it! :P And this season will add to the bounty.

hi AnnaE - I say wear it exactly how you like it with whatever you like!! It’s hard to make a mistake with our gorgeous scarves, and if you like it and feel good in it go for it! I worried at first about that, but now I tie them how I want, wear casual to dressy, and don’t give a flip what anyone thinks. They are still my most complemented pieces, by a wide range of people. So I’m glad you go for it! :P And this season will add to the bounty.
What you have written is exactly how I feel, even as someone new to Hermes as of the very end of 2018. I was, however, kind of shocked at the difference in weight of the silks in my 140 Sieste au Paradis and the newer Carnaval des Oiseaux, the latter being much lighter, but the saturation of color in the latter is so intense that it is hard for me to tell the back of the scarf from the front, which is a good thing. I am reviewing some videos to help me learn how to tie these scarves, and it is like discovering the art of Origami; there are seemingly an infinite number of ways to fold and wear these works of art, and no single wrong way to wear them. I, personally, cannot wait to wear Carnaval des Oiseaux as it is going to function as the perfect solution to cover my décolletage, if you will, when I wear a specific black wrap dress.

@AnnaE , I haven’t any doubt you look perfect in your coat and 140 silk, what’s so wonderful about the forum is the diversity and creativeness of everyone here
I haven’t a clue about fashion faux pas, and I certainly hope I’ve broken lots of them because I like to dress the way I like as I’m sure you do.
I guess my love for CSGMs has rather elbowed the 140 silks in my collection out of use in cooler months .
I’m interested to see the new Carnival des Oiseaux but shan’t be near a store for a while, meanwhile looking forward to seeing it in action !

I

Last edited:
But...the Sieste au Paradis is also a summer twill...?
Is the Carnaval des Oiseaux even lighter?! :confused1:
I'll have to go feel them, individually, to compare them. Disclaimer: I haven't touched my Sieste in a couple of months, literally, and somehow I thought it was thicker/more substantial than the sensation I got when taking the recent mod shots of Carnaval. I could be wrong, for sure. I will find them, and touch both of them, and get back to you on that. Sorry if I am incorrect. I would not want to alarm anyone here. My memory of opening the box to Sieste was not that it was any less substantial than my 90s, and also that I would reserve it for special occasions only.

ETA: I stand corrected. My memory is not the best, apparently. They are indeed both the same in feel and in lightness. (Carnaval is not any lighter.) I guess the way I folded Sieste around my neck was different, making the shawl feel thicker as more layers were folded and pressed together.

Last edited:
I'll have to go feel them, individually, to compare them. Disclaimer: I haven't touched my Sieste in a couple of months, literally, and somehow I thought it was thicker/more substantial than the sensation I got when taking the recent mod shots of Carnaval. I could be wrong, for sure. I will find them, and touch both of them, and get back to you on that. Sorry if I am incorrect. I would not want to alarm anyone here. My memory of opening the box to Sieste was not that it was any less substantial than my 90s, and also that I would reserve it for special occasions only.

ETA: I stand corrected. My memory is not the best, apparently. They are indeed both the same in feel and in lightness. (Carnaval is not any lighter.) I guess the way I folded Sieste around my neck was different, making the shawl feel thicker as more layers were folded and pressed together.
Ok, great - thank you for checking :flowers:
I was worried they’d made the 140s whisper thin (or should I say even more so...)!
Don’t get me wrong; I love my Siestes but I wouldn’t mind if they had a bit more weight to them. :amuse:

Feeling I have gone a bit around the bend on blue & pink recently. Feels nuts now to think I lately mused 2 more AW19 neutrals would be “too much.”

first, collection to date pulls pinkish tones into even “neutral” AW19 Jardin de Leila at right center.
second, more pink & blue arrived in scarf mail. :facepalm:

8F04085A-0019-4008-BE13-EA0D02DDF81F.jpeg

70826AC5-75A7-4395-8ADD-7773BF4406D2.jpeg

Re-evaluation underway as top right corner reflects rehome pile pulled off auctions but not yet re-intergrated.

Feeling I have gone a bit around the bend on blue & pink recently. Feels nuts now to think I lately mused 2 more AW19 neutrals would be “too much.”

first, collection to date pulls pinkish tones into even “neutral” AW19 Jardin de Leila at right center.

View attachment 4498722

View attachment 4498723

Re-evaluation underway as top right corner reflects rehome pile pulled off auctions but not yet re-intergrated.
Haha, I have also been buying pink/ blue lately.
LOVE your Shackleton!

Reactions: Jbizzybeetle

View attachment 4498722

View attachment 4498723

Congrats on your new scarves Jbizzy!:flowers:please share; why are these scarves in your re-evaluation pile? Is it colours, format? I have myself made an effort to get rid of 140 cashmeres but other formats I have had a hard time letting go of.:flowers:

Congrats on your new scarves Jbizzy!:flowers:please share; why are these scarves in your re-evaluation pile? Is it colours, format? I have myself made an effort to get rid of 140 cashmeres but other formats I have had a hard time letting go of.:flowers:

Great questions! I’ll have to work a little harder to present worthy answers.
Overall—what I initially meant by “re-evaluation” was two-fold: 1) Where given this tiny collex do I want to go from here? And 2) should the re-home pile be considered for re-admittance based on color alone as I’ve gone overboard on pink/blue? Still working on that question.

Format is a big reason for the re-home pile: 1) 16in/42cm just don’t work for me even when I love the designs.
2) the 140cm MP moussie troubles me on bright greens as well as wrestling the format the one time I’ve actually worn it in 9 months.
3) just haven’t worn the MP bleu nuit pareo as such, nor the boldly colored “Zephyr” pareo.

Color/design repeats is a second reason for love/leave decision.
1) As much pinkish blue as I’ve purchased recently, H PINKs alone have proven hard for me: the 1980s Equateur 90cm in the rehome pile—never worn, and the pink/orange La Cite Cavaliere was returned to H.
2) the black dentelles/lace stole version of Toile d’Hermes—limited repeat should go now I have the crepe original.
3) If I decide I’m just a subdued-color kind of girl, the boldly colored Tous Les Bateaux du Monde comes into danger, otherwise CSGM is my mostest favorite format and material—-so soft and drapes so well! Just too hot to wear year-round so the 90 silks are more popular with me than I ever imagined—for their versatility and manageability.

Acquisition thoughts: I wanted to pull everything out to see overall colors as I consider acquiring past seasons’ 90s—Appaloosa des Steppes and ACTE 3.

As as a “scarf slut” with an “oh, squirrel” attention span, I am willing to drop silk and chase a grail or near grail....or just an “ooooohhh, that’s pretty!” Almost anytime. :P

Overall—what I initially meant by “re-evaluation” was two-fold: 1) Where given this tiny collex do I want to go from here? And 2) should the re-home pile be considered for re-admittance based on color alone as I’ve gone overboard on pink/blue? Still working on that question.

Format is a big reason for the re-home pile: 1) 16in/42cm just don’t work for me even when I love the designs.
2) the 140cm MP moussie troubles me on bright greens as well as wrestling the format the one time I’ve actually worn it in 9 months.
3) just haven’t worn the MP bleu nuit pareo as such, nor the boldly colored “Zephyr” pareo.

1) As much pinkish blue as I’ve purchased recently, H PINKs alone have proven hard for me: the 1980s Equateur 90cm in the rehome pile—never worn, and the pink/orange La Cite Cavaliere was returned to H.
2) the black dentelles/lace stole version of Toile d’Hermes—limited repeat should go now I have the crepe original.
3) If I decide I’m just a subdued-color kind of girl, the boldly colored Tous Les Bateaux du Monde comes into danger, otherwise CSGM is my mostest favorite format and material—-so soft and drapes so well! Just too hot to wear year-round so the 90 silks are more popular with me than I ever imagined—for their versatility and manageability.

Acquisition thoughts: I wanted to pull everything out to see overall colors as I consider acquiring past seasons’ 90s—Appaloosa des Steppes and ACTE 3.

As as a “scarf slut” with an “oh, squirrel” attention span, I am willing to drop silk and chase a grail or near grail....or just an “ooooohhh, that’s pretty!” Almost anytime. :P
Frankly, I wouldn’t worry too much about having a diversity of colors. If you wear certain colors often, then it makes sense to have more scarves in colors that coordinate . At one point I thought I had too many blue scarves, and started buying scarves in other colors. But the truth is, some of these “other colors” scarves rarely get worn because I don’t really wear those colors often. For me, scarves that look great with navy get worn the most.

Thank you so much for the detailed thought process on your collecting and culling. :flowers:One question, do you see your collection being smallish? Or do you only want items which you will reach for? I always think about collecting and wearability. It seems to me that wearability for my CSGM is very important and if I’m not wearing one it needs to go. But when it comes to 90, I seem to fall in the collection category and if it is not worn I worry less about it. I am also sad to hear that the large mousseline format did not work for you. I am certain you will find something else to take its place! :flowers:

I love reading others thoughts on their scarves!
I love your MP on you…. and I love the 140 moussie format - could it just be a matter of getting used to the size? Though if you like the CSGM (same size) I guess it's not so much the size, but maybe the floaty material? I don't want to talk you into keeping it, as I'm sure that could find a new home in a heart beat - but I'd give it another whirl.
If I love the scarf but haven't worn it in a while, I don't worry too much about keeping it - because if I love it, it stays.
If I don't, it goes.

"As as a “scarf slut” with an “oh, squirrel” attention span, I am willing to drop silk and chase a grail or near grail....or just an “ooooohhh, that’s pretty!” Almost anytime. :P"
BWahahaaa!!! This made me laugh!

Thank you so much for the detailed thought process on your collecting and culling. :flowers:One question, do you see your collection being smallish? Or do you only want items which you will reach for? I always think about collecting and wearability. It seems to me that wearability for my CSGM is very important and if I’m not wearing one it needs to go. But when it comes to 90, I seem to fall in the collection category and if it is not worn I worry less about it. I am also sad to hear that the large mousseline format did not work for you. I am certain you will find something else to take its place! :flowers:

My general mindset at this point is “one in, one out.” That’s as close as I get to discipline and staying within a fixed scarf budget.
Modify that on availability—sometimes a grail pops up and I get it although I know it will take longer to figure what other to let go. And sometimes the scarf doesn’t sell for months; the pareo and moussie in that pile were on auction for at least two months and didn’t even get an offer while several others are enjoying new necks.

That said, “wearing history” is important—I tend to think I should let go if unworn, balanced against what @Cookiefiend said: If I love a scarf, wearing regularity isn’t as important.

One important thing this color-viewing exercise really brought to my attention: I forget to wear the scarves displayed in the clear tubes. I’m gonna work on wearing those more.