Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

Am hoping someone can help me out? Searched the forum but haven't found an answer.

I've purchased a lovely double plisse, but it has a very very strong musty odor. Sadness! I know I can't handwash it. Has anyone had success with dry-cleaning removing a musty odor?

I don't think the usual methods (store with baking soda, dryer sheets, air out, etc) will work as it almost smells like the odor has permeated every little pleat. It's rather rare to find I think, so am sad if I'll have to let this one go.
View attachment 4340611 View attachment 4340620

This may work if you live in a cold country. If you get very cold snow put your scarf in the snow for a few hours. You need a cold day not a sunny day when the snow could melt & get your scarf wet. Weigh the scarf down with something so it can’t blow away.

I do this regularly with items that can’t be washed. Sometimes it works sometimes not, depends on the source of the dirt/smell.

This trick came from our old European antique rug dealer & it worked a charm on rugs far too fragile to ever send to the cleaners.
Good luck!
You know, I've never tried this, but after reading the snow idea I wonder whether wrapping it up in a Ziploc bag and sticking it in the freezer would work? I know that's a method people use to neutralize any odors on raw denim (which isn't washed or exposed to water for long periods of time)? I've frozen sweaters and jeans before to de-stinkify them and it's worked to remove body odor.

Hi Kadmia - I did my test and here is the report. I took the plisse out of the freezer and let it 'thaw' to room temperature and sniffed my way all around it. I must say the smell is LESS noticeable and bearable to wear now. I don't know to what extent your plisse smells ... Do you have enough time to try my method before returning? Good luck.

Oh my!! I have mine packed up and ready to return! Do let me know if the improvement is durable! Thank you!!

Hi Kadmia - I did my test and here is the report. I took the plisse out of the freezer and let it 'thaw' to room temperature and sniffed my way all around it. I must say the smell is LESS noticeable and bearable to wear now. I don't know to what extent your plisse smells ... Do you have enough time to try my method before returning? Good luck.
Interesting! Thanks so much for experimenting. Maybe a combination of factors would work? Baking soda, freezing, and airing out?

Just wanted to update that I ended up returning the scarf. The freezer trick might work, but my nose is so sensitive, that a scarf around my neck will likely bother me even if the scent is reduced a lot. I still really appreciate everyone's input!!

That being said, if anyone is interested in a lovely double plisse, and has a less sensitive nose and wants to give it a whirl, you should expect it to show up again soon on The RealReal :amuse:

Reactions: AnnaE and Julide
For those on FB, this is an interesting article on silk care.

You can also expand it and read it in here. Nice article. (And true about the poisonous dyes from yesteryear....they used to use them in wallpapers long ago too...acted like rat poison onto walls.... but arsenic was how you used to get emerald green....)

Just wanted to report that I handwashed one of my H silk scarves this weekend and I'm ecstatic with the result! I will do this going forward as I don't trust a dry cleaner with my scarves. All the drycleaners around me are cheapo chain ones. No matter how much I insist I'm sure they would iron the hems and pin tags right onto the silk. Plus handwashing is friendlier on the wallet, obviously :smile:

It's a scarf from last season so I can't speak to whether this method would work for older scarves. But with this newish scarf, the colors did not run at all. The one significant result is that the handwashing got rid of the sizing which makes the scarves stiffer. Basically you end up with a scarf that is close to the texture of the Hermes wash scarves. I had read that this would happen and it was one of my goals in handwashing the scarf. I love the wash texture and find that a softer, flowier scarf drapes and ties better.

Without further ado here are the steps I followed:
1. Swished the scarf around continuously for 2-3 minutes in a basin of cold water mixed with a little handwashing/delicates detergent, and gently rubbed out the one little stain I had
2. Rinsed thoroughly
3. Immediately rolled it up in a clean towel to squeeze out the excess water
4. Laid it out flat and waited a few hours for it to dry a bit
5. While still slightly damp, ironed it on the back, on low heat.

Just wanted to report that I handwashed one of my H silk scarves this weekend and I'm ecstatic with the result! I will do this going forward as I don't trust a dry cleaner with my scarves. All the drycleaners around me are cheapo chain ones. No matter how much I insist I'm sure they would iron the hems and pin tags right onto the silk. Plus handwashing is friendlier on the wallet, obviously :smile:

It's a scarf from last season so I can't speak to whether this method would work for older scarves. But with this newish scarf, the colors did not run at all. The one significant result is that the handwashing got rid of the sizing which makes the scarves stiffer. Basically you end up with a scarf that is close to the texture of the Hermes wash scarves. I had read that this would happen and it was one of my goals in handwashing the scarf. I love the wash texture and find that a softer, flowier scarf drapes and ties better.

Without further ado here are the steps I followed:
1. Swished the scarf around continuously for 2-3 minutes in a basin of cold water mixed with a little handwashing/delicates detergent, and gently rubbed out the one little stain I had
2. Rinsed thoroughly
3. Immediately rolled it up in a clean towel to squeeze out the excess water
4. Laid it out flat and waited a few hours for it to dry a bit
5. While still slightly damp, ironed it on the back, on low heat.

It's a big step to handwash your first scarf. Congratulations on taking the plunge (pun intended). I agree that in general, it's much safer to handwash your scarf then trust it to your local drycleaner. I think there are some special / highly regarded cleaners that have been recommended, but I'm far away from any of them. I grew several inches as a scarfie, when I washed my first one!

Last edited: