Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

Wow, what a FANTASTIC thread! Thank you @litchi for pointing me here, from a discussion we were having regarding Acte III on the A/W18 thread.

My Hermès scarf journey began in 1985, when I bought La Mare aux Canards... fell in love... and bought perhaps 10 more scarves over the next six years. This was during the "dress for success" days (ugh) and an H scarf worn with a navy or grey suit was my tiny act of rebellion. Ten scarves felt like a LOT to me at the time, but I wore one every day, so I didn't need much else in the way of corporate clothing. Plus I was on the road a lot, and (as others here have said) I could pack one suit, a couple of blouses, and five scarves, and hey presto, all set for a week!

Then I changed careers, and my ten scarves languished in a bureau drawer until I discovered tPF in 2013. :biggrin: "Oh! Hermes scarves come in different colorways! They have signatures on them! People collect them! And wow, just look at all these amazing designs I've missed over the past 22 years... but hey, waddya know, there are resellers!"

And so a little corporate accessory became a major passion. I haunted eBay, discovered other trusted reseller sites, and bought like crazy. I made a LOT of mistakes. And I started lurking on threads like this one, to learn where I had gone wrong. I also paid one visit a year to my "local" H boutique in San Francisco, where a SA sweetly steered me toward colors and designs that suited me. Ultimately, I began developing an educated eye.

And that's where I am now. I've re-homed some of the mistakes I made during my mad rush in 2013-2014. And I'm about to consign another ten scarves: five extremely old ones from my corporate days, and five that I just find I don't reach for. That will leave me with a respectable (IMO) collection of 28 90cm silks, 1 90cm mousseline, 1 CSGM that I bought in 1987 and still looks great, even though I wore it absolutely to death during my "on the road" days, 3 bandanas, and a few little twillies that I bought because... well... they were just too darned cute to leave behind.

This wonderful thread has me thinking about whether I'm a wearer or a collector, and what my philosophy is. I think I might have one, but this post is already too long. More later. :wave:
Thank you for sharing your scarf journey, Elaine! :heart: So far, I'm a wearer more than a collector. I have around fifty 90cm silks and enjoy them all. But I'm also at a stage where I am very careful with what I purchase next.

I'm a very visual person, so it's all about the color. But I've also found that once one purchases a certain number of H scarves, the patterns and themes start to repeat. Maybe that's why I haven't purchased one in a about 3 years. But I do see a couple I'd like to add to my existing collection:
View attachment 4124371
Also I've found that after amassing a certain number, at least a couple are always away at the cleaners (LOL).
I'm now at this stage of collecting. I agree, the patterns and themes are starting to be repetitive to me! :amuse:

Reactions: bunnycat
This is a very exciting topic, moma. Thanks for helping draw out the unconscious (or conscious) process on how we may have an H theme-and-colour obsession. I find myself readily drawn to H scarves that depict botanical/nature scenes -- I remember hardly finding a candidate for "anything mechanical" in a long ago scarf-of-the-day theme. :blush: I favour depictions of royal accoutrements and Northeast Asian and Southeast Asian themes. These feel like they belong on silk. Mythical creatures are another favourite.

Like many scarfies, I don't buy designs that feature eyeballs prominently -- imagine me sadly skipping UTW! -- although designs with one or two big eyes are fine (like Appaloosa).

Colourway wins over theme though, and I will happily make an exception on a theme if I love the scarf's cw, e.g. I don't really like cats, but I love the Dallet in blue brighton. That was a fabulous blue!
I agree... this is a fascinating topic, and our discussion about this season's new Acte III scarf has me thinking about it a lot.

When I consider what draws me to scarves, I believe it depends on whether I'm in the boutique (which is only once a year) or on line. In the boutique, I'm drawn first to color, and then to theme/design. For example, I never even bother to look at the drawers of yellow, brown, or olive scarves because they simply don't suit me and I don't want to waste my SAs (or The Hubster's!) time. Point me to the blues, the clear reds, the raspberries, the purples, the emeralds, or the black & white scarves, please! :amuse:

But on the H site, or on our threads here on tPF, it's definitely design/theme first, and only if that pleases me, do I then look into whether it comes in "my" colorway. My criteria for designs/themes:
1. Nothing overly large (like Zebra Pegasus or JQ)
2. But also nothing teeny-weeny (like Au Pays des Oiseux Fleurs, which I owned, and which I am in the process of re-homing :annoyed:)
3. Nature is good: fish (Grands Fonds, Under the Waves), birds (La Clé des Champs), or critters & trees (Dans un Jardin Anglais)
4. But not dead nature. I'm in the process of re-homing my extremely old Chiens au Rapport, which used to go beautifully with my navy suits, but I hate the dead ducks hanging down from the dogs' mouths. Squick.
5. And not horses, for some reason. I realize this is heresy. :P
6. Not geometrics. Symmetrical is fine, but I prefer my symmetry in swirly, fluid shapes (Le Jardin de la Maharani)
7. Complex, surprising, semi-mystical designs (Mythes et Metamorphoses, Mythiques Phoenix, and perhaps the new Acte III)
8. Designs that I can imagine wearing to a particular venue (Turandot, and Les Ballets Russes, obviously. Acte III also works for this category, darn it!)
9. Designs that I can stare at for hours, in awe of the designer's artistry (Sieste au Paradis. Samouraïs, though I resisted for a long time). And maybe Acte III? :shocked:

Hmmmmm... I wonder which colorway of Acte III would be good for me? :panic: :panic: :panic:

Ah, thanks. What sort of design would qualify?
Not 3-eyed 6-fingered aliens. I don't need allusions to Area 51 or Hal. I'd like something derived from scifi rather then an actual space ship. Translating text to visual is always fraught with problems as text gives the reader's imagination free reign to come up with their own version of Dune or positronic robots (I adored R. Daneel Olivaw). I think something more abstract along these lines would be wearable and welcomed by non-nerds: the swirling portals of Stargate or a hyperspace link, especially if the peek through the portals revealed enticing portions of H scarves (alternate reality trope).
Laboratoire wasn't scifi to me, more mad scientist. And much as I like Super H and Space Shopping, they are a riff on comics (Batman) and classic TV (Twilight Zone).
Sorry for the OT, everyone! We now return to regular programming :flowers:

Wow, what a FANTASTIC thread! Thank you @litchi for pointing me here, from a discussion we were having regarding Acte III on the A/W18 thread.

My Hermès scarf journey began in 1985, when I bought La Mare aux Canards... fell in love... and bought perhaps 10 more scarves over the next six years. This was during the "dress for success" days (ugh) and an H scarf worn with a navy or grey suit was my tiny act of rebellion. Ten scarves felt like a LOT to me at the time, but I wore one every day, so I didn't need much else in the way of corporate clothing. Plus I was on the road a lot, and (as others here have said) I could pack one suit, a couple of blouses, and five scarves, and hey presto, all set for a week!

Then I changed careers, and my ten scarves languished in a bureau drawer until I discovered tPF in 2013. :biggrin: "Oh! Hermes scarves come in different colorways! They have signatures on them! People collect them! And wow, just look at all these amazing designs I've missed over the past 22 years... but hey, waddya know, there are resellers!"

And so a little corporate accessory became a major passion. I haunted eBay, discovered other trusted reseller sites, and bought like crazy. I made a LOT of mistakes. And I started lurking on threads like this one, to learn where I had gone wrong. I also paid one visit a year to my "local" H boutique in San Francisco, where a SA sweetly steered me toward colors and designs that suited me. Ultimately, I began developing an educated eye.

And that's where I am now. I've re-homed some of the mistakes I made during my mad rush in 2013-2014. And I'm about to consign another ten scarves: five extremely old ones from my corporate days, and five that I just find I don't reach for. That will leave me with a respectable (IMO) collection of 28 90cm silks, 1 90cm mousseline, 1 CSGM that I bought in 1987 and still looks great, even though I wore it absolutely to death during my "on the road" days, 3 bandanas, and a few little twillies that I bought because... well... they were just too darned cute to leave behind.

This wonderful thread has me thinking about whether I'm a wearer or a collector, and what my philosophy is. I think I might have one, but this post is already too long. More later. :wave:

This is a very exciting topic, moma. Thanks for helping draw out the unconscious (or conscious) process on how we may have an H theme-and-colour obsession. I find myself readily drawn to H scarves that depict botanical/nature scenes -- I remember hardly finding a candidate for "anything mechanical" in a long ago scarf-of-the-day theme. :blush: I favour depictions of royal accoutrements and Northeast Asian and Southeast Asian themes. These feel like they belong on silk. Mythical creatures are another favourite.

Like many scarfies, I don't buy designs that feature eyeballs prominently -- imagine me sadly skipping UTW! -- although designs with one or two big eyes are fine (like Appaloosa).

Colourway wins over theme though, and I will happily make an exception on a theme if I love the scarf's cw, e.g. I don't really like cats, but I love the Dallet in blue brighton. That was a fabulous blue!

I agree... this is a fascinating topic, and our discussion about this season's new Acte III scarf has me thinking about it a lot.

When I consider what draws me to scarves, I believe it depends on whether I'm in the boutique (which is only once a year) or on line. In the boutique, I'm drawn first to color, and then to theme/design. For example, I never even bother to look at the drawers of yellow, brown, or olive scarves because they simply don't suit me and I don't want to waste my SAs (or The Hubster's!) time. Point me to the blues, the clear reds, the raspberries, the purples, the emeralds, or the black & white scarves, please! :amuse:

But on the H site, or on our threads here on tPF, it's definitely design/theme first, and only if that pleases me, do I then look into whether it comes in "my" colorway. My criteria for designs/themes:
2. But also nothing teeny-weeny (like Au Pays des Oiseux Fleurs, which I owned, and which I am in the process of re-homing :annoyed:)
3. Nature is good: fish (Grands Fonds, Under the Waves), birds (La Clé des Champs), or critters & trees (Dans un Jardin Anglais)
4. But not dead nature. I'm in the process of re-homing my extremely old Chiens au Rapport, which used to go beautifully with my navy suits, but I hate the dead ducks hanging down from the dogs' mouths. Squick.
6. Not geometrics. Symmetrical is fine, but I prefer my symmetry in swirly, fluid shapes (Le Jardin de la Maharani)
7. Complex, surprising, semi-mystical designs (Mythes et Metamorphoses, Mythiques Phoenix, and perhaps the new Acte III)
8. Designs that I can imagine wearing to a particular venue (Turandot, and Les Ballets Russes, obviously. Acte III also works for this category, darn it!)
9. Designs that I can stare at for hours, in awe of the designer's artistry (Sieste au Paradis. Samouraïs, though I resisted for a long time). And maybe Acte III? :shocked:

Hmmmmm... I wonder which colorway of Acte III would be good for me? :panic: :panic: :panic:

This is a really fascinating topic. I'm with you Elaine on scarves with dead stuff on them. No can do. Pretty much a big chunk of the Linares I have no interest in. And though I have nothing against winter scenes, I am not drawn to them for whatever reason. Perhaps because many of them are older designs and lately I've been focusing on newer work and settling some of my "grails". Water, nature, flowers, cats. Horses are fine but I think I'm good on horsey themes for some time to come!

Eyeballs don't bother me. :roflmfao: or at least I haven't seen a scarf yet that has them and does.

Small and busy is fine on a case by case basis. For instance I love Songe de la Licorne and Axis Mundi but not Pays des Oiseaux. Large scale is often fine but occasionally doesn't work for me. If I can't find a way to easily tie parts that I like on a scarf to show, I end up rehoming. Jungle Love DD was like that. The DD, though lovely, obscured the design and I had to fight with it to get anything to show so it went. JQ on the other hand, is fine. I like to show the cat head, the butterflies and the flowers and those are all easy to get to when tying. And when I get Baobab Cat, I'm gonna have those eyeballs folded right up front staring boldly at everyone I meet. :lol:

This is a really fascinating topic. I'm with you Elaine on scarves with dead stuff on them. No can do. Pretty much a big chunk of the Linares I have no interest in. And though I have nothing against winter scenes, I am not drawn to them for whatever reason. Perhaps because many of them are older designs and lately I've been focusing on newer work and settling some of my "grails". Water, nature, flowers, cats. Horses are fine but I think I'm good on horsey themes for some time to come!

Eyeballs don't bother me. :roflmfao: or at least I haven't seen a scarf yet that has them and does.

Small and busy is fine on a case by case basis. For instance I love Songe de la Licorne and Axis Mundi but not Pays des Oiseaux. Large scale is often fine but occasionally doesn't work for me. If I can't find a way to easily tie parts that I like on a scarf to show, I end up rehoming. Jungle Love DD was like that. The DD, though lovely, obscured the design and I had to fight with it to get anything to show so it went. JQ on the other hand, is fine. I like to show the cat head, the butterflies and the flowers and those are all easy to get to when tying. And when I get Baobab Cat, I'm gonna have those eyeballs folded right up front staring boldly at everyone I meet. :lol:
Your Jungle Love DD is re-homed? The one that we're (or we WERE) twins on??? :amazed: Yikes, that must have happened just recently, I thought you posted a photo of yourself wearing that scarf just recently on SOTD!

I do see what you mean about needing to tie the scarf so that the parts you like will show. And I guess that's yet one more criterion for selecting a scarf (and this one has taken me a LONG time to learn). There can be something absolutely gorgeous in the dead-center of the scarf... but if you tend to tie scarves in a bias fold with the tails hanging down, as I do, then that beautiful gorgeous thing in the center hides behind your neck. :annoyed:

Not 3-eyed 6-fingered aliens. I don't need allusions to Area 51 or Hal. I'd like something derived from scifi rather then an actual space ship. Translating text to visual is always fraught with problems as text gives the reader's imagination free reign to come up with their own version of Dune or positronic robots (I adored R. Daneel Olivaw). I think something more abstract along these lines would be wearable and welcomed by non-nerds: the swirling portals of Stargate or a hyperspace link, especially if the peek through the portals revealed enticing portions of H scarves (alternate reality trope).
Laboratoire wasn't scifi to me, more mad scientist. And much as I like Super H and Space Shopping, they are a riff on comics (Batman) and classic TV (Twilight Zone).
Sorry for the OT, everyone! We now return to regular programming :flowers:
No, you bring up a fascinating theme! Hopefully, H engages an artist who can translate hyperspace link and portals to other universes with a serious, elegant look and not turn out like kitsch art.

Your Jungle Love DD is re-homed? The one that we're (or we WERE) twins on??? :amazed: Yikes, that must have happened just recently, I thought you posted a photo of yourself wearing that scarf just recently on SOTD!

I do see what you mean about needing to tie the scarf so that the parts you like will show. And I guess that's yet one more criterion for selecting a scarf (and this one has taken me a LONG time to learn). There can be something absolutely gorgeous in the dead-center of the scarf... but if you tend to tie scarves in a bias fold with the tails hanging down, as I do, then that beautiful gorgeous thing in the center hides behind your neck. :annoyed:
I work around that by using one of the lessons learnt from MaiTai. In response to a challenge or a request (can't recall which), she skewed the bias fold to show off Mr Bones and his sepulchral horse on CLF. I do that sometimes to try and get something in view (the tiny foxes on In the Canadian Wild for instance). I also cheat by pairing smaller formats to extend the length so that the centre comes to the front - haven't yet mastered using the Mors for this.

No. 5 is heresy! :shocked::wtf::giggle:
Not even little horses on a twilly?? ;)

Reactions: ElainePG

No horsies at all? Don't you have a Mustangs??? Or am I not remembering.

Yours is the Cyclamen and mine was burgundy. And that was just too dark for me. I already replaced it with a JL Coton Charm 70 that I found NWT. :smile: Smaller scale makes it easier for me to ties parts I like to show.

Yes- since you tie in a bias a lot with the center in back, then for you, paying attention to the edges and corners makes sense when you are adding a new scarf in or considering rehoming something. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Acte III. (just sayin'!) :P As for me, I often tie in bias fold with center in front and two tails coming around, or a pleated cowboy, so having a center area that shows things I like (or that has good colors for me) is important when I want to buy something. If something only looks good in cowboy tie, then that makes me less likely to want it or keep it. Curating is hard work! I think I need a cup of coffee! (Ooops- that is one of my other vices...)

As for the "administrative" side of curating, as opposed to the more philosophical and artistic side we've been discussing, I (naturally) tend to buy and rehome more scarves I have gotten from eBay, maybe because they tended to be more "ooh bargain! Let's try it!" or earlier purchases. As my tastes change and morph, more and more purchases are coming from H directly, newer designs and artists so that would make sense I still have those right now. I have sold some that I bought from H that just ended up not working on me, and when I think about why I bought them at the time, it tended to be more of the "I want something by XX artist" but wasn't really sure what my actual tastes were at the time. So far, everything I bought in the last year from H looks like it will be in "long term" pile.

Last edited:

I pretty much agree with all of these, except the first 2. I do have ZP. And on the other end of the continuum, I do have a few scarves with small busy prints like pays de oiseaux

So, I finally had a chance to unite my May H sale finds with the rest of my collect-to-wear gathering. Except for an orange/ecru Grand Roue which may still be in a box somewhere.

3 90s, MTs, moussie 140s, 2 twillies, and 4 CSGMs.

Any thoughts on how to add some variety in terms of colour? I’m drawn to pink/reds and blues, obviously.

This picture makes me very very happy! :smile:
You have a beautiful collection, Genie! :smile:
If you're thinking about adding to it, I would suggest 1 or 2 neutral colourway scarves, maybe in silver/grey or red or cream/yellow (so you can use them with other clothes in your wardrobe). There are such cw's this FW season that might suit your needs. A neutral cw scarf is often more effective at pulling together dress + jacket + shoes for a polished look than scarves with busy prints or bold pops of colour. A scarf doesn't always have to be the star of the show imo. And do check the men's collection. There's treasures to be found there!

No horsies at all? Don't you have a Mustangs??? Or am I not remembering.

Yours is the Cyclamen and mine was burgundy. And that was just too dark for me. I already replaced it with a JL Coton Charm 70 that I found NWT. :smile: Smaller scale makes it easier for me to ties parts I like to show.

Yes- since you tie in a bias a lot with the center in back, then for you, paying attention to the edges and corners makes sense when you are adding a new scarf in or considering rehoming something. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Acte III. (just sayin'!) :P As for me, I often tie in bias fold with center in front and two tails coming around, or a pleated cowboy, so having a center area that shows things I like (or that has good colors for me) is important when I want to buy something. If something only looks good in cowboy tie, then that makes me less likely to want it or keep it. Curating is hard work! I think I need a cup of coffee! (Ooops- that is one of my other vices...)

As for the "administrative" side of curating, as opposed to the more philosophical and artistic side we've been discussing, I (naturally) tend to buy and rehome more scarves I have gotten from eBay, maybe because they tended to be more "ooh bargain! Let's try it!" or earlier purchases. As my tastes change and morph, more and more purchases are coming from H directly, newer designs and artists so that would make sense I still have those right now. I have sold some that I bought from H that just ended up not working on me, and when I think about why I bought them at the time, it tended to be more of the "I want something by XX artist" but wasn't really sure what my actual tastes were at the time. So far, everything I bought in the last year from H looks like it will be in "long term" pile.
That's right. I DO have the Mustangs bandana. Okay... scratch what I said about horses. :amuse:

Like you, most of the scarves I've re-homed have been bargain-ish scarves from eBay or my local consignment shop. Bought in my early re-entry into the world of H scarves (2013-2014) when I really didn't have a sense of what colorways and designs worked for me. Because I didn't pay full price for these scarves, and I did get some $$$ back from resale, I think of the net loss as the tuition cost of an M.A. in Fine Arts (with a focus on silk textiles). :smartass: