Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

Please, please Bunnycat, tell me what I'm getting myself into. Is there still time to turn back? (LOL)

:lol: I couldn't say! I don't really have that many vices if it really comes down to cases, but scarves are one of them. I don't drink, don't smoke, we have one reasonable car, we didn't buy as fancy a house as we could have, Birkins and Kellys aren't really in my lifestyle, I do my own nails when I want to do them (but garden too much to do it often) and I'm not a very good traveler so long, expensive vacations or trips don't happen either and I'm not a foodie (unlike MrBcat, who is....)

I did used to have one other vice of Argentine Tango shoes as I dance tango. But repeated foot injuries have reduced me to Jazz sneakers most of the time, so I sold most of my shoes and got myself down to 6 pair (and 15-20 pairs @ $200-ish a pair is not insignificant) and "invested" in scarves for my later years, which I see myself using more rather than less as I age.

Last edited:
Hm. I like the sea and the underwater themes. Mythological creatures yes, but I don't think I like actual animals, though, in designs. Huskies are OK. I must ponder this! No Jaguar Q, no Tyger tyger, no Baobobcat, no jungle love, no Panthera. I have Cave Felem only for the pun (and the mouse and the mosaics).

You do! Just not cats! (And that's OK!)

Reactions: momasaurus
So, I finally had a chance to unite my May H sale finds with the rest of my collect-to-wear gathering. Except for an orange/ecru Grand Roue which may still be in a box somewhere.

3 90s, MTs, moussie 140s, 2 twillies, and 4 CSGMs.

Any thoughts on how to add some variety in terms of colour? I’m drawn to pink/reds and blues, obviously.

This picture makes me very very happy! :smile:

Attachments

• FA645054-2468-43BD-9EF7-7B8F8A139220.jpeg
    FA645054-2468-43BD-9EF7-7B8F8A139220.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 245
So, I finally had a chance to unite my May H sale finds with the rest of my collect-to-wear gathering. Except for an orange/ecru Grand Roue which may still be in a box somewhere.

Any thoughts on how to add some variety in terms of colour? I’m drawn to pink/reds and blues, obviously.

I like that Festival MT. Is that one of the original size ones?

If you are trying to break in to other colors, I would take stock of what you have and see if there are items in your closet that you don't wear as much, and if the reason you don't is because you don't have a scarf that "goes". I've had multiple items I've bought that sat for awhile, until a scarf came along that really "made" the outfit, then they get worn a lot more....so if there are pieces in the closet you like but don't wear, that could show you where your scarf color gaps are.

Reactions: Genie27

The top right corner is actually two moussies - ZP and Iris. Very similar CWs but Iris is warm and ZP is cold. Just like my pink Amazones MT is cold/silver vs red Cavalcadour is warm/gold. Or so I tell myself.

Reactions: scarf1
I like that Festival MT. Is that one of the original size ones?

If you are trying to break in to other colors, I would take stock of what you have and see if there are items in your closet that you don't wear as much, and if the reason you don't is because you don't have a scarf that "goes". I've had multiple items I've bought that sat for awhile, until a scarf came along that really "made" the outfit, then they get worn a lot more....so if there are pieces in the closet you like but don't wear, that could show you where your scarf color gaps are.
Yes, all my MTs are original length. I like to wear them as belts and my waistline is um substantial.

My wardrobe is blue/black/grey with teal and hot/pale pink accents. Then I have a warm colour section of cream/ecru/red/orange/yellow. That side gets neglected for accessories as I don’t consider it my main palette but I do have a significant number of these items.

Reactions: bunnycat
Yes, all my MTs are original length. I like to wear them as belts and my waistline is um substantial.

My wardrobe is blue/black/grey with teal and hot/pale pink accents. Then I have a warm colour section of cream/ecru/red/orange/yellow. That side gets neglected for accessories as I don’t consider it my main palette but I do have a significant number of these items.

You might try adding some stripes to your wardrobe. I also have a lot of black/grey/burgundy for winter. But stripes work year round and are a really good jumping off point for lots of scarf colors. This week's SOTD theme is scarves and stripes, so you might take a look through a few pages to get ideas. :smile:

How did you pick that number? Just curious.

Hitchhiker's Guide :lol:
It was a joke, moma. I'm a scifi nerd and I listened to all the original audio recordings of Hitchhiker's Guide from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop (they were in the company library on LPs!). 42 was the answer to the Ultimate Question about life, the universe and everything. I'd so buy every cw if H did a scifi-themed scarf (Laboratoire and Space Shopping don't count).

Maybe try some colors that are now represented in little bits on your Summers Day twilly - the springy lime green, the cobalt, the pink-based red, the yellow or the tangerine orange? Or add more neutral scarves with or without pops of your favorite colors?

Reactions: litchi and Genie27
:lol: I couldn't say! I don't really have that many vices if it really comes down to cases, but scarves are one of them. I don't drink, don't smoke, we have one reasonable car, we didn't buy as fancy a house as we could have, Birkins and Kellys aren't really in my lifestyle, I do my own nails when I want to do them (but garden too much to do it often) and I'm not a very good traveler so long, expensive vacations or trips don't happen either and I'm not a foodie (unlike MrBcat, who is....)

I did used to have one other vice of Argentine Tango shoes as I dance tango. But repeated foot injuries have reduced me to Jazz sneakers most of the time, so I sold most of my shoes and got myself down to 6 pair (and 15-20 pairs @ $200-ish a pair is not insignificant) and "invested" in scarves for my later years, which I see myself using more rather than less as I age.
Great philosophy and life choices!!

Reactions: ninakt and bunnycat
It was a joke, moma. I'm a scifi nerd and I listened to all the original audio recordings of Hitchhiker's Guide from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop (they were in the company library on LPs!). 42 was the answer to the Ultimate Question about life, the universe and everything. I'd so buy every cw if H did a scifi-themed scarf (Laboratoire and Space Shopping don't count).
Ah, thanks. What sort of design would qualify?

Perhaps a brighter bolder pink (like Baobab Cat - AW18) and/or some brighter peacock/electric/blue-purples

Wow, what a FANTASTIC thread! Thank you @litchi for pointing me here, from a discussion we were having regarding Acte III on the A/W18 thread.

My Hermès scarf journey began in 1985, when I bought La Mare aux Canards... fell in love... and bought perhaps 10 more scarves over the next six years. This was during the "dress for success" days (ugh) and an H scarf worn with a navy or grey suit was my tiny act of rebellion. Ten scarves felt like a LOT to me at the time, but I wore one every day, so I didn't need much else in the way of corporate clothing. Plus I was on the road a lot, and (as others here have said) I could pack one suit, a couple of blouses, and five scarves, and hey presto, all set for a week!

Then I changed careers, and my ten scarves languished in a bureau drawer until I discovered tPF in 2013. :biggrin: "Oh! Hermes scarves come in different colorways! They have signatures on them! People collect them! And wow, just look at all these amazing designs I've missed over the past 22 years... but hey, waddya know, there are resellers!"

And so a little corporate accessory became a major passion. I haunted eBay, discovered other trusted reseller sites, and bought like crazy. I made a LOT of mistakes. And I started lurking on threads like this one, to learn where I had gone wrong. I also paid one visit a year to my "local" H boutique in San Francisco, where a SA sweetly steered me toward colors and designs that suited me. Ultimately, I began developing an educated eye.

And that's where I am now. I've re-homed some of the mistakes I made during my mad rush in 2013-2014. And I'm about to consign another ten scarves: five extremely old ones from my corporate days, and five that I just find I don't reach for. That will leave me with a respectable (IMO) collection of 28 90cm silks, 1 90cm mousseline, 1 CSGM that I bought in 1987 and still looks great, even though I wore it absolutely to death during my "on the road" days, 3 bandanas, and a few little twillies that I bought because... well... they were just too darned cute to leave behind.

This wonderful thread has me thinking about whether I'm a wearer or a collector, and what my philosophy is. I think I might have one, but this post is already too long. More later. :wave:

Well, I share a love of all things medieval with @Living.la.vida.fifi, and have amassed plenty of medieval-themed H scarves. Now that I really have too many scarves (gulp!), I have begun to realize that I don't need to have EVERY knight in shining armor that H made.
Theatrical themes are also a must for me, so I need the Midsummer Night's Dream piece. Yet so far I have resisted Pierrot, La danse, and probably some other theatrical scarves.
Anyone else have a theme obsession?
This is a very exciting topic, moma. Thanks for helping draw out the unconscious (or conscious) process on how we may have an H theme-and-colour obsession. I find myself readily drawn to H scarves that depict botanical/nature scenes -- I remember hardly finding a candidate for "anything mechanical" in a long ago scarf-of-the-day theme. :blush: I favour depictions of royal accoutrements and Northeast Asian and Southeast Asian themes. These feel like they belong on silk. Mythical creatures are another favourite.

Like many scarfies, I don't buy designs that feature eyeballs prominently -- imagine me sadly skipping UTW! -- although designs with one or two big eyes are fine (like Appaloosa).

Colourway wins over theme though, and I will happily make an exception on a theme if I love the scarf's cw, e.g. I don't really like cats, but I love the Dallet in blue brighton. That was a fabulous blue!