Joseph Duclos Thread

Good for them. Even so, given the price point and lack of US presence I doubt we're going to be seeing that bag "everywhere."

Was just reading about the latest Chanel price increase. I haven't owned any Chanel for several years and was stunned to see what the flaps are going for! Diane is an ABSOLUTE BARGAIN compared! (And the strap is changeable and won't cause one to need shoulder surgery.) :graucho:
yeah and I don't think it's gone gone. JD just probably just ran out of leather allocated for these particular models and the bags will be available to order once they replenish their leather stock.

I've also seen Chanel's prices and it's shocking that a Chanel medium flap costs almost as much as a Birkin 25.

yeah and I don't think it's gone gone. JD just probably just ran out of leather allocated for these particular models and the bags will be available to order once they replenish their leather stock.

I've also seen Chanel's prices and it's shocking that a Chanel medium flap costs almost as much as a Birkin 25.
I assumed the same thing with the "sold out" vs "delivered within 3 weeks" statuses.

Chanel's pricing and market acceptance of their pricing is inexplicable. Oh well, it has literally nothing to do with me!

Really really not trying to fan any flames, but I was curious about the hardware and it looks like the palladium, at least is plated, not gilded? The marketing is weird because it says different things on different parts of the website.
I suspect this is a technical terminology-thing and possibly expressed differently in French vs. English. Also doesn't "gilding" suggest a gold exterior specifically so palladium would be a different description?

IMO without a degree in metallurgy, one just has to look at and feel the weight of the hardware (and understand Ramesh's expertise at design and specifying/overseeing manufacture of said hardware) to know that unless you run over it with your car it's going to be just fine.

A younger employee of mine talked about JD yesterday because of Taylor Swift! I told her I was pretty sure the bag was already “sold out” before Taylor was seen wearing it, but that wouldn’t be surprised if some of the other colors got snapped up. When I ordered the same one in late Dec, there was a note on the website to expect a 3-6 month delivery timeframe.

I immediately rushed to the website to see if it's there but sadly they haven't updated it yet.

In other news, this is the Taylor Swift effect:

View attachment 5973671

Yesterday there was still a blue, pre-order button there but now you can't even order it. lol

Same with the blue and red ones:

View attachment 5973672View attachment 5973673

These are the only ones left to pre-order:

View attachment 5973686View attachment 5973687View attachment 5973689
Wow ! In a way I’m happy for them, this is the visibility boost they needed to scale up. Hopefully they will be able to plan increased production and eventually the bags will be available again. As long as Ramesh is around I’m confident that the they will maintain quality standards.
I don’t anticipate a mad rush for the Diane, the average Swiftie is not a JD client and the prices are just high enough to encourage clients to do their research. But their production is really tiny at the moment, and scaling does take time, it could be a few weeks…
As for haters, all the better if they stay away and let those who do appreciate the brand get hold of the bags ;)

Wow ! In a way I’m happy for them, this is the visibility boost they needed to scale up. Hopefully they will be able to plan increased production and eventually the bags will be available again. As long as Ramesh is around I’m confident that the they will maintain quality standards.
I don’t anticipate a mad rush for the Diane, the average Swiftie is not a JD client and the prices are just high enough to encourage clients to do their research. But their production is really tiny at the moment, and scaling does take time, it could be a few weeks…
As for haters, all the better if they stay away and let those who do appreciate the brand get hold of the bags ;)
Right? I remember even saying that I find the growth of JD a bit slow and now that TS has been seen with it, I feel that it will be a bit much for them.

Oh well. I need to be careful with my words sometimes, because they may come true. :biggrin:

Really really not trying to fan any flames, but I was curious about the hardware and it looks like the palladium, at least is plated, not gilded? The marketing is weird because it says different things on different parts of the website.
So I do know a little about galvanisation, what the JD rep explained is correct. The technical term is galvanisation but in layman’s terms the word gilding is sometimes used as its more commonly understood. (Also I suspect it sounds more floral & poetic, the way you could say equestrian sportsman/ woman instead of horse rider).
Honestly, I have not seen any brand go into hardware details on their site or explain technical aspects of their manufacturing processes. I feel like we’re being gaslighted by those with an agenda and I refuse to tangle with them because its what they want.
I have seen and used JD bags, the hardware is delicious, weighty and finely finished. And I trust Ramesh’s stewardship enough to fork out my hard earned money.

I suspect this is a technical terminology-thing and possibly expressed differently in French vs. English. Also doesn't "gilding" suggest a gold exterior specifically so palladium would be a different description?

IMO without a degree in metallurgy, one just has to look at and feel the weight of the hardware (and understand Ramesh's expertise at design and specifying/overseeing manufacture of said hardware) to know that unless you run over it with your car it's going to be just fine.

Palladium covered items are not regulated by French law, so JD can be creative.

But the legislation is very clear about gold and platinum (below a link on the French government website):

When the layer of precious metal is less than 3 microns, jewelry coated with platinum or gold can only be sold, respectively, under the name «platiné»(“platinum covered”) or «doré»(“gilded”).

Joseph Duclos markets their items as «doré». Why are there still doubts about that?

So I do know a little about galvanisation, what the JD rep explained is correct. The technical term is galvanisation but in layman’s terms the word gilding is sometimes used as its more commonly understood. (Also I suspect it sounds more floral & poetic, the way you could say equestrian sportsman/ woman instead of horse rider).
Honestly, I have not seen any brand go into hardware details on their site or explain technical aspects of their manufacturing processes. I feel like we’re being gaslighted by those with an agenda and I refuse to tangle with them because its what they want.
I have seen and used JD bags, the hardware is delicious, weighty and finely finished. And I trust Ramesh’s stewardship enough to fork out my hard earned money.
Mais oui!

Right? I remember even saying that I find the growth of JD a bit slow and now that TS has been seen with it, I feel that it will be a bit much for them.

Oh well. I need to be careful with my words sometimes, because they may come true. :biggrin:
Well since their IG (and the purse blog) are obviously excited about Taylor and the subsequent press I expect the remaining Diane messengers to be gone quickly, lol

I like Taylor and the Diane messenger is my fav so I gasped when I saw the original photos on a spotted site. But the possible campaign-lite on this one is interesting :smile:

Last edited:
Well since their IG (and the purse blog) are obviously excited about Taylor and the subsequent press I expect the remaining Diane messengers to be gone quickly, lol

I like Taylor and the Diane messenger is my fav so I gasped when I saw the original photos on a spotted site. But the possible campaign-lite on this one is interesting :smile:

Looks like they restocked and it's back to being able to be pre-ordered

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 15.44.03.png

Is T Swift wearing JD bringing the brand more attention? Yes. But, I'm not that worried about Swifties snapping up JD. Here's a People article suggesting less costly alternatives:

Is T Swift wearing JD bringing the brand more attention? Yes. But, I'm not that worried about Swifties snapping up JD. Here's a People article suggesting less costly alternatives:

Oh, my! This makes me think about fakes coming out of the woodwork. Ugh! Imagine Forever 21 offering TS JD bags on the shelf beside the imitation Chanel and Celine bags.:facepalm: I think this is one problem with attracting the youth masses.

Swift Marketing:

The bag was already designated the one to be 'sold out' by the time the one even got to Swift. The whole (perceived) scarcity is marketing's luxury staple right now, if anyone's been monitoring Phoebe Philo, you will know what I mean. It's even lawful to stick an archived sample/catwalk piece online and write 'sold out'. Just part of the skullduggery that is part of the art of marketing. The timeline is strong indication everything so far has been set - including 'sold out' signs.

I'm not a cynic when it comes to JD specifically, just luxury generally, and I don't dislike TS any more or less than any other celeb/influencer, but I know the industry. And it's not new, Chanel built her career and her brand on it, the woman was a marketing machine. First rule of style, believe nothing you see or hear beyond what you can touch.

And yes, us too. We are the brand's 'early adopters' and 'informed consumers' acting as focus group in this thread. JD's HQ is monitoring our responses to everything as we type.

If the quality is there, the bags are worth it, if they start to go the same way (as Moynat) forget it.

Gilded/plated HW:

Even if the wording says 'gilded', which is a legal term, EU law is not harmonious across all member states. The term must comply with the legal definition of the nation/state where the bag is for sale, not where bought. So look for French law not US-wide definitions.

The usual for hw in luxury European maroquinerie is gold/plat/plad plated (Electroplated or PVD). On the JD French site, "du laiton doré ou palladié" which can mean "gilded or palladium-plated brass" in translation, whereas, on the English site "gold or palladium-plated". This shows JD means plated to comply to French law. 'Gilded' must have been used as descriptive word and not as a standard measure, so will not mean gold leaf or flashed. Even the traditional moulu (Ormulu) a technique used for centuries is called 'gilded' in France. Plating can be as little as 0.5 microns in some countries, in France it must be at least 3 microns min. The plating will not only be defined by the term but the micron thickness and quality of the plating (electroplated or PVD) and there is a lot of variation even within the category ('plated') itself.

Last edited: