Joseph Duclos Thread

Moynat gifted ambassadors — Pharrell, Ciara, and Nicole Kidman. They actively promoted the brand. Moynat didn't gift Queen Camilla, Queen Rania, Princess Charlene, First Lady Macron, and more. They were clients through their stylists.
Hmmmm, years ago when I was first introduced to Moynat, I was told by a Moynat sales associate that they didn't gift bags to Nicole Kidman, either... or anyone. But you probably know more than I do.

Moynat gifted ambassadors — Pharrell, Ciara, and Nicole Kidman, to name a few. They actively promoted the brand. Moynat didn't gift Queen Camilla, Queen Rania, Princess Charlene, First Lady Macron, and more. They were clients through their stylists.

The BRF is prohibited from being gifted (although QC should be wearing British) not sure about JRF or MRF. Makes sense for the 'First Lady of France' to be wearing French fashion/luxury houses. I think Joseph Duclos would suit Brigitte very well too, I'd love to see her carrying a classic Diane

You're right ('we' used to work with Rihanna's stylist). The fact that she's in full-on 'loud-preppy' (so-called 'Aristocratic Style' is trending ATM) down to her 2-tone loafers with a heritage leather bag makes sense too.
I know we are supposed to be talking about JD, but I was told by a particular jewelry house that they love Rihanna because she buys her jewelry from them (maybe not the things chosen by a stylist). I guess it's complicated as to how this all works with celebrities! We probably will never know how TS got her JD bag.

Hmmmm, years ago when I was first introduced to Moynat, I was told by a Moynat sales associate that they didn't gift bags to Nicole Kidman, either... or anyone. But you probably know more than I do.
I don’t know if you remember the Moynat metal globe clutch Nicole Kidman wore to the Golden Globe Awards several years ago? That was a loan. That was the beginning of her ambassadorship. Moynat “presented” her with several bags that she wore to several events and when spotted out and about.
Pharrell added design touches to the Haute carryall (giant travel Pauline) and Ciara was used in advertising.

IMG_1850.jpegIMG_1851.jpegIMG_1852.jpegIMG_1853.jpegIMG_1854.jpegIMG_1855.jpegIMG_1856.jpegIMG_1857.jpeg

I hope JD doesn’t gift ambassadors. I like clean, unforced “bags in the wild” sightings.

I don’t, since you showed your proof and I accept. It’s brass.

However, you’re the one who brought up the “50% hardware” and now you’re tiptoeing around the subject, asking me to do my research, when I asked you for your source.

At this point I think you’re just inventing stuff just to fuel more negativity around JD, which you have single-handedly been doing since October (?). I don't know what your motivations are but I hope you’re getting paid for it. It seems tough to just go to this website and yuck the yum of a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Great that we progressed from trying to explain why JD cannot use gilded HW to the acceptance of their quality lackings.

Do you think machine sewn bags with gilded wine stopper clasps by a startup with no brand equity to bank on should be priced at Hermes levels?

While it's true that JD utilizes gilded hardware, it is not inherently indicative of inferior quality. Many reputable brands employ various finishes on their hardware, each with its own unique characteristics and aesthetic appeal. The patina that may develop over time could be celebrated as part of the bag's journey, adding character and charm. But I, too, have voiced my curiosity over the longevity of the hardware. I think it's something that we will just have to wait to see. However, given that things like gilded brass buttons and various gilded brass antiques are out there that are over 100 years old and still looking fabulous, I'm really not too worried about it.

Contrary to popular belief, Hermes, revered as it is, also employs machine stitching in its manufacturing process - even in their Birkins and kelly's. It is not the method of stitching alone that determines quality, but rather the precision and craftsmanship applied.

"Lots of defects" is no fact, unless you have numbers showing that x% of all their bags have defects, or you have bought many JD bags of your own and have found all of them with terrible issues? A defect here or there will happen at any brand, even established ones. As for your concerns about apprenticeships and in-house training, it's worth noting that JD's approach may differ from Hermes', yet it does not diminish the skill and dedication of its artisans. Quality craftsmanship is not solely determined by the length of one's tenure but by the passion and expertise invested in each creation.

What initially drew me into the brand was the design and the leather. Knowing that they source leather from the Haas Tanneries and Tannery Gal was a big plus for me. I wanted semi-veg and veg leathers. I can customize the bag with different high quality leathers. I like the overall design. I like how it's constructed. The CS is wonderful.

Let's not hastily dismiss JD based on preconceived notions. Let us instead embrace the journey of this emerging brand, acknowledging its potential for growth and evolution.

To be frank, I´ve never met anyone who is a fan of rusty and oxidized hardware. Leather patina yes, but not this.
Then of course, if you´re after metal oxidation, then JD is indeed a better option than H, as gold coating by H is much thicker.

There was even a case when the replacement bag was defected and sent back to JD for fixing again, lol.

I have an MTO saddle stitched belt by an independent Parisian artisan (in Barenia/Novonappa by Haas Tanneries).
It was 120€ (yes, that´s right, no zeroes missed).
You can get a handbag from another independent Parisian artisan in Baranil leather (by Degermann and now also owned by Haas). 450€. And countless options to customize it in pretty much any other leather, including advanced options like bison, ostrich and "Russian" leather (called Volynka by Hermes).
Maybe that´s why Joseph Duclos is targeting people from US and Asia so much, as they don´t know the leather market in France and how much things really cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joeli7
I have an MTO saddle stitched belt by an independent Parisian artisan (in Barenia/Novonappa by Haas Tanneries).
It was 120€ (yes, that´s right, no zeroes missed).
You can get a handbag from another independent Parisian artisan in Baranil leather (by Degermann and now also owned by Haas). 450€. And countless options to customize it in pretty much any other leather, including advanced options like bison, ostrich and "Russian" leather (called Volynka by Hermes).

I am curious, FatFIRE, who is the independent Parisian artisan?

Great that we progressed from trying to explain why JD cannot use gilded HW to the acceptance of their quality lackings.

Do you think machine sewn bags with gilded wine stopper clasps by a startup with no brand equity to bank on should be priced at Hermes levels?
If any ‘no-brand-equity-to-bank-on startup’ came out with ‘machine sewn bags with gilded wine stopper clasps’, they should be able to price their bags at any price of their choosing. As a matter of fact, in today’s society, that bag would probably be popular. :lol:

If brand haters dictate what bags should cost in a capitalist society, every bag would be $1USD. Maybe the Birkin would cost $2USD.

Do I think someone should’ve paid $120,000USD for a banana duct taped to canvas (called art) and then eat the banana? Someone did. I wouldn’t spend my money that way, but I would never say they shouldn’t. To each their own.

P.S.: I find it beyond insulting that you targeted US and Asia buyers as ignorant to leather quality and costs. I won’t narrate about this because it’s not worth my membership. For me, the comment is sad and unaware.

May you find joy in something today.

Last edited:
I have found great joy in seeing the IG "launch" of the L30.

Very much looking forward to seeing more images of this and meeting in person!
I immediately rushed to the website to see if it's there but sadly they haven't updated it yet.

In other news, this is the Taylor Swift effect:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 17.51.53.png

Yesterday there was still a blue, pre-order button there but now you can't even order it. lol

Same with the blue and red ones:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 17.55.56.pngScreenshot 2024-03-27 at 17.55.36.png

These are the only ones left to pre-order:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 18.01.49.pngScreenshot 2024-03-27 at 18.01.36.pngScreenshot 2024-03-27 at 18.01.25.png

Last edited:
I immediately rushed to the website to see if it's there but sadly they haven't updated it yet.

In other news, this is the Taylor Swift effect:

View attachment 5973671

Yesterday there was still a blue, pre-order button there but now you can't even order it. lol

Same with the blue and red ones:

View attachment 5973672View attachment 5973673

These are the only ones left to pre-order:

View attachment 5973686View attachment 5973687View attachment 5973689
Good for them. Even so, given the price point and lack of US presence I doubt we're going to be seeing that bag "everywhere."

Was just reading about the latest Chanel price increase. I haven't owned any Chanel for several years and was stunned to see what the flaps are going for! Diane is an ABSOLUTE BARGAIN compared! (And the strap is changeable and won't cause one to need shoulder surgery.) :graucho: