Jay Strongwater Charms! Let's Share Talk & Pics!

Regarding the issue of the box that my Bruce Zebra charm came in... I initially phoned NM who told me they'd have to write a request for information about the box. What? I hung up on them.

I then phoned JS, explained the situation and of course they told me since I purchased the charm from NM I would need to talk to them. What? Asked for a "stuper-visor." Explained the issue yet again. This time I just asked if JS has changed their charm boxes. The answer was, "No."

I phoned NM back and told them I need two things: 1) The original presentation box for my charm and 2) A nice discount for my inconvenience. A search is being conducted for my box and the charm has been discounted to my content whether or not the box resurfaces. :graucho: I have no faith in them being able to locate my box.

I'm not a box person, but NM should be held to a higher standard in my opinion since they are supposed to be a high end dept store. Moreover, it's one thing for me to not care about my charm boxes but if I purchased the charm I want it to come complete as the designer intended it to. Discarding the box or not caring for it should be my option. I wouldn't buy a Porsche without the passenger seat even though technically I may not need it. ;)

Misty, your help in this was greatly appreciated. It should be noted that I think my box may be smaller than the box your trinket box came in. Mine is just large enough for a charm. Moreover, the inside of the questionable box was housed with a card with a hook on it to hold a charm. The charm was not just floating in the box. (This is why I believed JS had merely cheapened their boxes just like JC had done).

I can't explain what happened here, and neither can NM. I don't know if NM has a Strongwater presentation charm box napper or if JS is getting ready to cheapen their boxes... I do believe that I will now go ahead and purchase my next charms directly from JS. I'll have to pay the high shipping and forgo the percentage off from that online company.

I can only wonder what box my Ian Tiger will arrive in. Remember it was due to ship on 5/30/14... I've been told it shipped today. Yippie. (sarcastically speaking).:cool:

I just ordered Bartholomew the Lion from the Jay Strongwater site. News flash regarding shipping... It appears if the charm is $95 then the shipping is $9.95. If the charm is $125, as the Lion was, then the "fixed shipping" is $12.95. It should be noted they didn't charge tax. Can't wait to get my new charm! Wild animal charms-check! :yahoo: With three or four more charms and a necklace I'll be very happy with my lil JS collection.

Ian the Tiger arrived moments ago. :yahoo: In that this is my second JS charm, recently, from NM, it appears NM sends their charms in the noted box as opposed to the presentation box I received Mara in years ago. Since I've previously shared the front of the cardboard box, I'm omitting that shot in this post.
175e8135-462d-477c-b08c-cb2bc27582e6_zps1b2a9e63.jpg

This is the box wrap which is also tagged:
af27099a-96be-48db-827a-9f7ad99a06bb_zps713635b5.jpg

Most importantly, here's Ian! When I opened the box, my mouth dropped and I gasped aloud. This charm looks incredible! Moreover, it is quite substantial in that it feels like it weighs a ton. I'm wearing it on a nice size diamond cut, 14K gold rope chain and it is seriously pulling it down where it falls perfectly on my chest. I may never take this charm off. :drool:

I can't wait for Bartholomew the Lion to arrive directly from Jay Strongwater's site. :graucho: I'm so curious to see which charm box they use-the old presentation box or this seemingly new cardboard one.

Oops, I forgot to add Ian!
b31fbc11-2537-4fa8-9925-099cec2df697_zpsd1e19766.jpg

^I'm unable to answer your question regarding the metal used in the Jay Strongwater charms. I'm sure you could phone the Jay Strongwater company and have someone tell you that information. Whatever it is it doesn't affect my skin adversely. And yes, I am aware that my posts are in bold type. I write very heavy thus I prefer the deeper, bold type since it reminds me of my own handwriting.

Welcome kiwi678! Most of us are JC charm collectors too. I certainly have collected JC charms for years. Lately, I'm enjoying collecting the JS charms that speak to my heart.

Which JS charm is going to be the first one to start your collection here?
Please feel free to share your wish list! :biggrin:

Welcome kiwi678! Most of us are JC charm collectors too. I certainly have collected JC charms for years. Lately, I'm enjoying collecting the JS charms that speak to my heart.

Which JS charm is going to be the first one to start your collection here?
Please feel free to share your wish list! :biggrin:

im thinking either the tiger or the peacock! they are so beautiful!
are they heavy?
oh actually the bunny is cute too..:P

i just received the Tiger. It is an awesome piece. The beauty is impossible to capture when photographed. Yes, it is heavy. I can wear my Juicy charms as pendants on my 14k gold necklaces with no problem. The Tiger was seriously pulling on my substantial chain. It however looked AMAZING!!! I can't wait to wear it when I run an errand or something.

Please share your new charm once you decide which one it'll be!

aww i really want to get one right now! i saw some beautiful charms on page 2 but cant find it anywhere online, are they only samples? are they like jc charms that theyare only available for a short period of time than they will be gone? thanks!

aww i really want to get one right now! i saw some beautiful charms on page 2 but cant find it anywhere online, are they only samples? are they like jc charms that theyare only available for a short period of time than they will be gone? thanks!

Regarding the pictures of charms you saw on page 2, restricter has some very beautiful JS charms. For that matter, her JS collection is awesome.

I am not an expert regarding JS charms and hoped this thread would attract collectors who could share their knowledge of the brand with us. What I do know is JS doesn't manufacture mass charms like JC. However, like most designer things, it appears an item, in this case a charm, is produced and available for a period of time and once said charm is sold out it seems to be gone. Some of the charms you saw on page 2 are probably no longer available in stores and could possibly only be found on the second hand market at this juncture.

I just received a notice that Bartholomew the Lion Head charm will be here tomorrow!!!! I am soooooo excited! :yahoo:

I phoned a source I stumbled upon this morning regarding these lovely charms. JS has indeed changed their boxes to the more plain ones. It really was apparent to me when NM sent me theirs, three times, but I digress. From what I learned from the source, it seems that the $95 charms are coming in the basic box while the charms that are $125 are still housed in the presentation boxes. If this reasoning is true, Bartholomew will arrive tomorrow in a presentation box and it won't be just because I ordered him directly from Jay Strongwater's site but because he's one of the more expensive charms.

In general it seems that jumping on a thing when it's fresh and new has benefits, for example stunning boxes, but as the thing progresses manufacturers find a way to maintain their profit margin at the expense of the customer-cheaper boxes and for some manufacturers more cheaply made charms. :whistle: While JS has resorted to plainer boxes I don't see him making cheap charms. The fact he's a jeweler probably won't allow him to do that.

For now, I'm loving my JS charms in either plain or presentation boxes! :yes::tup:

What's the metal used in the charms? (Also, just FYI, your posts are showing up as bolded--)

I knew I had seen the materials used in making the charms but I couldn't recall where I'd seen it listed. I just noticed on the Jay Strongwater site that the description of the metals used is listed in the write up on whichever charm you're interested in.
http://home.jaystrongwater.com/search#w=charms

What I gathered from looking at a couple of charms is: Lead free metal; cast pewter (on some charms); 18K matte gold (on some charms); hand enamel and hand set Swarovski crystals.

After receiving Bartholomew the Lion directly from Jay Strongwater, one thing is clear-the boxes have changed-period. Here's Bartholomew. It's unfortunate I cannot capture the true beauty of the crystals and coloration of this charm. It is nothing less than awesome!

2243c0d2-ce5b-412c-b302-40619a3aee09_zps227d0ba3.jpg

60b7ba5a-4820-4426-925b-85cc47f812a0_zps7b15c557.jpg

a9a83b37-ced0-48d1-9d5e-5daec084a9e2_zps5d12c5f5.jpg

A back of the head shot:
0df9fcea-7de5-4e4b-b781-9f48a7cd02f4_zpsa5175adf.jpg

Bartholomew the Lion-King of the jungle!
f42b18a6-cbfb-4893-b5d5-013d38b0132c_zps4d00828f.jpg

It may be awhile, if I can wait, but my next charm will be the Bee and the flower. :yes: (I think). I love these charms!