Is the bag wearing me?

i prefer the bigger kellys as shoulder bags. cross body will also add bulk to one's frame in the bigger sizes. given H is now offering shoulder straps in the shorter lengths too, please do consider carrying it with a short shoulder strap if you are after a k35. here is my k35 with 60cm canvas strap, it is a lot easier to open and close with a short strap.

DSC_4744.jpg DSC_4747.jpg

I have a Barenia Sellier 35 that i have used for many years as a workhorse bag around the world (i'm a filmmaker). I'm 5'3. Is it big? Yes. Does it look kind of cool? I think so. I do wear it cross body a lot in the field and I don't baby it and it has been everywhere...India, Nepal, Scotland, Italy...you name it. Do I think many folks here would kindly advise me it's TOO big for me? Probably :smile: But I love it and it works for me. Here I am at a film festival where my film was opening - Im wearing it crossbody with a strap I ordered from Chapman's in the UK. I love this strap...it adds to the "field" look of the bag plus it is adjustable and very practical. I also wear this Kelly 35 Sellier on a very SHORT strap which ends up carrying really well just a little under my arm pit believe it or not. I have found that carrying it using the standard H strap length hits me at the hip which I believe makes the 35 Kelly (sellier or retourne) pretty unflattering due to its size.
View attachment 4040850

I think this looks VERY cool on you! :tup: You look so comfortable wearing it, it’s like a part of you. Just goes to show, the size of the bag and the size of the person aren’t the only factors — comfort level means much more than size. I think this is what H bags are really meant to be, especially in heritage leathers like Barenia and Box — loved, lived in, and USED. :yes:

I always love reading your posts about this particular bag — you inspired me to take the leap and get my own Barenia K35!

i prefer the bigger kellys as shoulder bags. cross body will also add bulk to one's frame in the bigger sizes. given H is now offering shoulder straps in the shorter lengths too, please do consider carrying it with a short shoulder strap if you are after a k35. here is my k35 with 60cm canvas strap, it is a lot easier to open and close with a short strap.

View attachment 4041101 View attachment 4041102

This strap length looks perfect on you — the bag falls in exactly the right place. It looks so sleek, I would have guessed it was a 32, not a 35.

View attachment 4041101 View attachment 4041102
Love how chic this look with canvas strap :loveeyes: I will try it with my K32.

Wow! Thank you all so so so much! I'm overwhelmed by the number of thoughtful answers and how helpful everyone has been. I must say that petite is not a word I would use to describe myself. In my mind's eye I am a bit of a heffalump so either I'm being harsh on myself or the photos are taken at a strange angle. I want to especially thank those of you who posted photos of yourselves and your beautiful bags. I really appreciate it.

I do think looking at the photos I posted compared to yours the standard Kelly strap length is just totally wrong for me. Especially with the size of the K35. I'll look through the other threads as well for images of what fits in each size. I do need to always carry a water bottle, purse, phone and at least one book and pouch of bits and pieces. Will have a long think.

It's hard to walk away from a barenia vert olive. Even if it's not quite the right size. Although I do like the idea of wearing it with the thick shorter canvas strap. I am absolutely casual dresser. And I mean really casual - my outfit in these photos is very much a work outfit.

I agree with those who said the 35 looks fine as a shoulder bag but a bit big cross-body.

I’m 5’6 and have two K35s. When I got the first, a vintage fauve Barenia, I also bought a Valentino strap, planning to use on the K for cross-body wear. I soon realized that the 35 is not easy to wear cross-body, at least for me. Even at my non-petite height, the 35 is a large bag, and it looks boxy and feels heavy when worn this way. (In the interest of full disclosure, I have trouble wearing any large or heavy bag crossbody — it always feels like it’s pulling me out of alignment.) Wearing it by the thin strap over the shoulder is entirely different — the bag doesn’t feel heavy to me and it sits more sleekly (if that’s a word!) against my hip.

I think the 35 can work in a number of situations — bucked up for business, with the sides batwinged out for a more casual look — but not for evening. So there’s also the question of what you’d use it for and how much you need to carry. No point going down in size if the bag won’t fit what you need it to.

OP, I think the 35 will look very different on you in a dark color and Retourne style (I can’t tell from your photos if the red Kelly is retourne or sellier). But I still wouldn’t wear it cross-body. For that, I’d go with a 32.

Here are my two 35s for reference. As you can see, I’m almost always casual!

View attachment 4040639 View attachment 4040640

I have a Barenia Sellier 35 that i have used for many years as a workhorse bag around the world (i'm a filmmaker). I'm 5'3. Is it big? Yes. Does it look kind of cool? I think so. I do wear it cross body a lot in the field and I don't baby it and it has been everywhere...India, Nepal, Scotland, Italy...you name it. Do I think many folks here would kindly advise me it's TOO big for me? Probably :smile: But I love it and it works for me. Here I am at a film festival where my film was opening - Im wearing it crossbody with a strap I ordered from Chapman's in the UK. I love this strap...it adds to the "field" look of the bag plus it is adjustable and very practical. I also wear this Kelly 35 Sellier on a very SHORT strap which ends up carrying really well just a little under my arm pit believe it or not. I have found that carrying it using the standard H strap length hits me at the hip which I believe makes the 35 Kelly (sellier or retourne) pretty unflattering due to its size.
View attachment 4040850

View attachment 4040852 View attachment 4040851This is my K32 and B35 (which is much bigger depth wise than a K35) for reference. It’s all down to personal preference at the end of the day but my feeling is big bags look ok worn casually!

I just wanted to special mention these posts as they style of all posters here is not the same as mine but is the same in terms of level of casualness. Thank you for these - it is very helpful.

I think this looks VERY cool on you! :tup: You look so comfortable wearing it, it’s like a part of you. Just goes to show, the size of the bag and the size of the person aren’t the only factors — comfort level means much more than size. I think this is what H bags are really meant to be, especially in heritage leathers like Barenia and Box — loved, lived in, and USED. :yes:

I always love reading your posts about this particular bag — you inspired me to take the leap and get my own Barenia K35!
I'm so glad you have a Barenia beauty...and in a K35 too! I hope you enjoy using and wearing yours too :smile: xoxoxo